Am I wasting money?

Budget (including currency): Around 1.3k USD but anything lower at the same performance would be nice.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Single player games like GTA 5 and Cyberpunk on decently high graphics while streaming.

I have a 1080p 75 hertz monitor and might buy another one later.

Switch the case. H510 is a genuine hotbox, period. Change it up to something like P300A/P400A Mesh from Phanteks or Matrexx 55 Mesh from Deepcool.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Next time please just send the PCPP link (found in the yellow box) and the forum can automatically make it into a list style for us to read and see prices. I would change the cooler to something that performs more efficiently, quietly, last longer, and imo looks a lot better - Vetroo V5 

As for the rest of the build I doub't you need PCIe gen 4 speeds, as it's only going to be useful if you utilize large file transfers. Otherwise you won't see much of a difference with something like a pilot-e 1tb (which is a lot cheaper as well) Go with 1TB SSD instead of 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD. But if you truly need that much storage I'd recommend a better hard drive as there are better CMR and true 7200 RPM options than the Barracuda Compute - P300

Case is a hot box even with P12's it's a closed front panel and will restrict intake.
Everything else is fine (ram a bit pricey but If you like the RGB aspect go for it) 

Here's a list i've made that will perform faster at a similar cost. 

Do you have the GPU already? If not you might want to try obtaining the unobtanium first 😉

Also I would go for more than 16GB if you plan on streaming, or at the very least a lower CL, CL18 is too high.

11th gen is not great, so 10th gen would probably be better, and nzxt are absolute garbage when it comes to airflow

Don’t take everything I say seriously 

take it with a grain of s a l t

Just now, tire said:

11th gen is not great, so 10th gen would probably be better,

Nope, 11400F is basically a free upgrade of 10400F considering that you gonna want a B560 board anyway for memory overclock.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

4 minutes ago, tire said:

11th gen is not great, so 10th gen would probably be better, and nzxt are absolute garbage when it comes to airflow

Am I reading this right..11400/F is a huge value upgrade than 10400. Especially when it comes to B560's memory oc capabilities. 

Considering you not only want decent game play but also streaming at the same time, switch to AMD. A B550 mainboard and R7 3700X would cost as much or less and give better performance. Alternatively, consider the APU version of that proc, the Pro 4750G. There's a recent video from Linus showcasing it against a comparable dGPU system and the outcome was surprisingly favourable for the APU. Drop RGB so you can spend more money on key/core components like CPU/GPU/RAM and PSU.

HTH!

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

7 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Do you have the GPU already? If not you might want to try obtaining the unobtanium first 😉

Also I would go for more than 16GB if you plan on streaming, or at the very least a lower CL, CL18 is too high.

It's not like the CL18 would make too much of a difference on the 11400/F. 3200C16 ballistix is probably the better choice here. Also the streaming can just be done from the NVENC encoder on the Nvidia GPU.

9 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

Considering you not only want decent game play but also streaming at the same time, switch to AMD. A B550 mainboard and R7 3700X would cost as much or less and give better performance. Alternatively, consider the APU version of that proc, the Pro 4750G. There's a recent video from Linus showcasing it against a comparable dGPU system and the outcome was surprisingly favourable for the APU. Drop RGB so you can spend more money on key/core components like CPU/GPU/RAM and PSU.

A 3700X alone is just as much money as an 11400f and a b560 alone. Its basic math

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Switch the case. H510 is a genuine hotbox, period. Change it up to something like P300A/P400A Mesh from Phanteks or Matrexx 55 Mesh from Deepcool.

I'm pretty sure they've updated this case recently, just got one to build my cousin a silent PC and the air flow is actually pretty good. the "closed" front now has a 1" mesh that's the entire height of the case on the side right in front of those fans...it sucks in a bunch of air from there. 

CypherKnight: What state you live in? Some states have good places to get GPU's at the moment as well as CPU's if you'd prefer a 5000 series.

Edit: Also, QLC SSD's are cheap and you can get a 2TB one for OS + data for cheap right now...you'll likely never hit the cache limit in regular use. They're usually on sale for under $200 and that's likely close to what you'd pay for the 500GB SSD + the HDD.

PCPartPicker URL: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8GYLQD

System Specifications:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify
RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB PC4000 16-16-16-36
GPU: eVGA RTX 3090 K|ngp|n Hybrid W/ 120mm Noctua iPPC 2000 RPM Industrial Fans  (Undervolted, No OC Yet)
Case: Corsair 4000D W/ a 120mm Noctua iPPC 2000 RPM Industrial Fan in the Only Spot Without a Radiator
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2TB (Boot) + Samsung 970 Evo 1TB x 2 (RAID-0) + 8TB RAID-1 NAS Drive x 2 (RAID-1) + PERC H730 W/ Toshiba PX04SMB160 1.6TB Enterprise SSD x 2 (RAID-0)
PSU: EVGA - 1000 T2 Modular PSU
Display(s): Acer - Predator Z1 31.5" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor +TCL 55S405 55" 4K HDR Display (Gaming Mode) + Samsung 27" Display (1080p60 Trash lol)
Cooling: Liquid Freezer II 280mm W/ 140mm Noctua iPPC 3000 RPM PWM Industrial Fans
Keyboard: Corsair K68 RGB (Cherry MX Red)
Mouse: Cooler Master MM720
Sound: Logitech G Series G935

11 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

HTH!

A 3700X at 300 USD isn't a good option at all when 11400+B560 = 3700X pricing. Not to mention the streaming capabilities on the NVENC encoder for Turing+

I live in California but I prob wont get this pc for a little while as long as GPU's are this scarce

3 minutes ago, DanielNS84 said:

I'm pretty sure they've updated this case recently, just got one to build my cousin a silent PC and the air flow is actually pretty good. the "closed" front now has a 1" mesh that's the entire height of the case on the side right in front of those fans...it sucks in a bunch of air from there. 

I believe all that changed is a tiny little mesh intake on the back panel. Still, really bad airflow compared to something like a P360A

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Spoiler

1 minute ago, iCypticx said:

It's not like the CL18 would make too much of a difference on the 11400/F. 3200C16 ballistix is probably the better choice here. Also the streaming can just be done from the NVENC encoder on the Nvidia GPU.

I wasn't referring to the encoding aspect, but the additional programs and overhead needed to do the actual streaming. If they were only recording game play then 16gb would be enough, but when you stream you could have extra addons during streaming that not only take cpu time but ram.

1 minute ago, CypherKnight said:

I live in California but I prob wont get this pc for a little while as long as GPU's are this scarce

By the time they are not hiding from everyone who wants one the 11 series will be old news likely.

2 minutes ago, davemc said:

I believe all that changed is a tiny little mesh intake on the back panel. Still, really bad airflow compared to something like a P360A

One moment, I'll show you...

System Specifications:

GPU: eVGA RTX 3090 K|ngp|n Hybrid W/ 120mm Noctua iPPC 2000 RPM Industrial Fans  (Undervolted, No OC Yet)
Case: Corsair 4000D W/ a 120mm Noctua iPPC 2000 RPM Industrial Fan in the Only Spot Without a Radiator
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2TB (Boot) + Samsung 970 Evo 1TB x 2 (RAID-0) + 8TB RAID-1 NAS Drive x 2 (RAID-1) + PERC H730 W/ Toshiba PX04SMB160 1.6TB Enterprise SSD x 2 (RAID-0)
Display(s): Acer - Predator Z1 31.5" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor +TCL 55S405 55" 4K HDR Display (Gaming Mode) + Samsung 27" Display (1080p60 Trash lol)
Cooling: Liquid Freezer II 280mm W/ 140mm Noctua iPPC 3000 RPM PWM Industrial Fans

6 minutes ago, davemc said:

Here...this is what I mean...it's only a 9900K CPU but it caps at 65c with MSI's MCE all core overclock on and you can feel a bunch of air coming through the system...not as much as my H500P but it's a wind tunnel...for a quiet case this one is pretty windy I think.

CousinPC (3).jpg

CousinPC (2).jpg

CousinPC (1).jpg

System Specifications:

1 minute ago, DanielNS84 said:

Here...this is what I mean...it's only a 9900K CPU but it caps at 65c with MSI's MCE all core overclock on and you can feel a bunch of air coming through the system...not as much as my H500P but it's a wind tunnel...for a quiet case this one is pretty windy I think.

CousinPC (3).jpg

CousinPC (2).jpg

CousinPC (1).jpg

Yeah I know, thats what I was mentioning.

Its not the absolute WORST but its not good. Still, for what it is it is way too expensive. A p360a should still be the way to go

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, davemc said:

Yeah I know, thats what I was mentioning.

Its not the absolute WORST but its not good. Still, for what it is it is way too expensive. A p360a should still be the way to go

I dunno, I've had a lot of cases at this point and this is one of the cooler ones I've had...the 9900K in there actually ran hotter in a meshify C when it was my daughter's PC and now that I've put good fans in there along with all of my sound proofing it seems great. The only thing I don't like is the stupid removable mesh on the bottom of the front of the PC...it's likely a remnant from before it had that huge mesh on the back panel as it seems redundant since there's similar temps when I cover it up.

System Specifications:

1 hour ago, Dutch_Master said:

HTH!

5800x is better

Gaming PC:

CPU- Intel Core i5-10400 (planning to upgrade when Alder Lake releases)

CPU Cooler- be quiet! Dark Rock Slim up to 180W TDP

Motherboard- Asus ROG Strix B460-h Gaming

Memory- Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000 CL15 memory

Storage- Crucial P2 1TB M.2-NVME SSD up to 2400 MB/s 

Video Card- MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3060 Ti OC

PC Chassis- Cooler Master TD500 MESH ARGB with Controller

Power Supply- EVGA 650w P2 (planning to upgrade to EVGA 80+ Gold 1k watts)

Rear Fan- Touchaqua Bitspower Notos RGB fan

Monitor- Acer EI272UR 2560x1440 144hz 4ms Radeon Freesync monitor

Keyboard- Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum

Mouse- Logitech G203 Lightsync (planning to upgrade to g502 HERO)

Controller- Xbox One Wireless Controller - Red 

LaptopProcessor- Ryzen 7 4700U (8c/8t up to 4.1Ghz) with Radeon graphics, 16GB DDR4-3200 memory, 512 NVME SSD

2 hours ago, iCypticx said:

Next time please just send the PCPP link (found in the yellow box) and the forum can automatically make it into a list style for us to read and see prices. I would change the cooler to something that performs more efficiently, quietly, last longer, and imo looks a lot better - Vetroo V5 

As for the rest of the build I doub't you need PCIe gen 4 speeds, as it's only going to be useful if you utilize large file transfers. Otherwise you won't see much of a difference with something like a pilot-e 1tb (which is a lot cheaper as well) Go with 1TB SSD instead of 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD. But if you truly need that much storage I'd recommend a better hard drive as there are better CMR and true 7200 RPM options than the Barracuda Compute - P300

Case is a hot box even with P12's it's a closed front panel and will restrict intake.
Everything else is fine (ram a bit pricey but If you like the RGB aspect go for it) 

Here's a list i've made that will perform faster at a similar cost. 

the slots on this motherboard only support gen 4 so are there any good 1 tb gen 4 nvme ssds?

2 hours ago, DanielNS84 said:

Also, QLC SSD's are cheap and you can get a 2TB one for OS + data for cheap right now...

Hell no. Imho, QLC SSDs as a boot drive and data drive at the same time is simply unreliable, a lot of QLC drive pulling that duty never last for up to 2 years. If i were being honest, the SSD+HDD combo is still a better value anyway if you want massive storage in the first place.

11 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

Hell no. Imho, QLC SSDs as a boot drive and data drive at the same time is simply unreliable, a lot of QLC drive pulling that duty never last for up to 2 years. If i were being honest, the SSD+HDD combo is still a better value anyway if you want massive storage in the first place.

Nope, I’ve installed a bunch of these with no issues, even in RAID-0 with frequent data access. There’s no drop in reliability with QLC, only with total lifetime and speed. Until the cache in a QLC drive is exhausted they’re just as fast as most other NVMe drives on the market and unless the average user is really going crazy with data they’re never going to hit even half of the data life on an SSD like this. Go in HWINFO and look at the total lifespan usage on your current SSD’s...very likely even if you’ve had your NVMe for a while you’ll still be well under 10% lifetime use and they will have replaced the system completely long before they hit this limit. Also, for the commenter above a PCIE 4.0 slot will take any PCIE 1-3 device as well since they’re backwards compatible. 

Edit: From TFA, as you can see regular use is a non-issue...I have a pair of 5TB per day enterprise SSD’s and write to them constantly in a RAID but I’d probably still be fine with QLC:

3DB0364A-79DF-4CDD-B027-0244A92C3DE0.jpeg

Edit 2: I’ll link a white paper with more technical info here. The reason manufacturers are okay with selling QLC drives to the public without a warning is because you need to pass the 1 DWPD (Drive Writes Per Day) limit to worry about the drive not lasting the life of your PC and that just doesn’t happen. 2TB for OS and storage is a good starting amount and it can always be cloned to a larger drive if needed later on...the only reason to get a HDD anymore is for warm/cold storage or if you need more than 6TB or so for some reason. I have 11TB of SSD storage in my main PC and none of it is SATA and I didn’t spend an obscene amount on it, just waited for sales and got fortunate but prices are lower now and under $200 for a reliable 2TB OS/data drive is a steal! I just upgraded from a 2TB 970 to a 4TB 980 after 4 years of downloading things at a brutal pace and putting most of my games on it and I got nowhere near the TBW limit of a QLC drive (and definitely not near the TBW limit of the 970’s).

Edit 3: Also, using HDD’s sucks...going all SSD is a massive quality of life improvement.

Edited by DanielNS84

System Specifications:

12 hours ago, CypherKnight said:

the slots on this motherboard only support gen 4 so are there any good 1 tb gen 4 nvme ssds?

That comment about backwards compatibility was for you. 2 of my 3 NVMe drives in my current system are older generation drives (PCIE 3 specifically).

System Specifications: