Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is an upgrade from a Wraith Prism worth it?

Hi everyone, so I'm currently running a 2700 with a Wraith Prism cooler, is an upgrade from the Wraith Prism to a MasterLiquid ML360L ARGB V2 worth it? I'm being offered it for $63, and I'm looking to go for maybe a Ryzen 3600 or 3700 in the future. 
Further note, would an AIO be a hassle to manage? I've never owned one, and is a MasterLiquid ML360L ARGB V2 a reliable and good AIO? 
Thank you for all the answers in advance!

Motherboard: MSI B450m Mortar Max

Processor: Ryzen 7 2700 w/ Wraith Prism

RAM: Klev Cras X 3200mhz 8gb x2

GPU:  Zotac Mini GeForce GTX 1070ti 8GB

PSU: Seasonic GX-750

Case: Inplay Robin 101 + 10 fans w/ hub and remote

Storage: Toshiba 1TB, Western Digital WD Green 1TB, Crucial BX500 480GB

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a very significant upgrade  for a cooler yes.  And 63$ is a very solid pricetag.

 

But:  Do you plan to overclock?  If the answer is 'no', then don't waste the effort.

 

If you're not overclocking the Wraith is absolutely fine, and will perform perfectly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No real maintenance is required on an AIO, except for the occasional dusting of the radiator. It's closed loop so you won't have to worry about it. If you're not thermal throttling or having problems with noise output you don't really need it. Not sure what would make the purchase "worth it" for you as a Wraith Prism on the 2700 should handle it fine.

But the 63 USD for a ML 360 V2 is great).  I'd go for it if you just desire some more flare in your system or want to keep things a bit quieter (although the MLxx V2 line isn't the quietest) it should be better than the wraith prism.

Of course no consumer grade chip requires an AIO and especially not a 2700 in your case. It's up to you if you want the more leeway for airflow on higher end processors.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tkitch said:

It's a very significant upgrade  for a cooler yes.  And 63$ is a very solid pricetag.

 

But:  Do you plan to overclock?  If the answer is 'no', then don't waste the effort.

 

If you're not overclocking the Wraith is absolutely fine, and will perform perfectly.

Thank you! Is the quality of the AIO good? And would installing it be a hassle?

Motherboard: MSI B450m Mortar Max

Processor: Ryzen 7 2700 w/ Wraith Prism

RAM: Klev Cras X 3200mhz 8gb x2

GPU:  Zotac Mini GeForce GTX 1070ti 8GB

PSU: Seasonic GX-750

Case: Inplay Robin 101 + 10 fans w/ hub and remote

Storage: Toshiba 1TB, Western Digital WD Green 1TB, Crucial BX500 480GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rhaemond said:

Thank you! Is the quality of the AIO good? And would installing it be a hassle?

It will perform fine for your cpu, it's one of the lower-end air coolers that generally gets outperformed by some beefy air coolers (Macho Rev b, Scythe fuma 2) just to name.
Installation wouldn't be that hard I'd imagine, just make sure you receive the correct parts from the purchase, oh and also make sure you have enough fan headers in case the splitter doesn't come with the AIO, as well as an ARGB header on your motherboard. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, iCypticx said:

No real maintenance is required on an AIO, except for the occasional dusting of the radiator. It's closed loop so you won't have to worry about it. If you're not thermal throttling or having problems with noise output you don't really need it. Not sure what would make the purchase "worth it" for you as a Wraith Prism on the 2700 should handle it fine.

But the 63 USD for a ML 360 V2 is great. I'd go for it if you just desire some more flare in your system or want to keep things a bit quieter (although the MLxx V2 line isn't the quietest) it should be better than the wraith prism.

Of course no consumer grade chip requires an AIO and especially not a 2700 in your case. It's up to you if you want the more leeway for airflow on higher end processors.

Thank you for your answer, may I ask what chip would best fit that AIO if ever I plan to upgrade my 2700?

Motherboard: MSI B450m Mortar Max

Processor: Ryzen 7 2700 w/ Wraith Prism

RAM: Klev Cras X 3200mhz 8gb x2

GPU:  Zotac Mini GeForce GTX 1070ti 8GB

PSU: Seasonic GX-750

Case: Inplay Robin 101 + 10 fans w/ hub and remote

Storage: Toshiba 1TB, Western Digital WD Green 1TB, Crucial BX500 480GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, iCypticx said:

It will perform fine for your cpu, it's one of the lower-end air coolers that generally gets outperformed by some beefy air coolers (Macho Rev b, Scythe fuma 2) just to name.
Installation wouldn't be that hard I'd imagine, just make sure you receive the correct parts from the purchase, oh and also make sure you have enough fan headers in case the splitter doesn't come with the AIO, as well as an ARGB header on your motherboard. 

I think a splitter already comes with it, sadly, I think the b450m mortar max doesn't have an argb header. Would the fans still light up?

Motherboard: MSI B450m Mortar Max

Processor: Ryzen 7 2700 w/ Wraith Prism

RAM: Klev Cras X 3200mhz 8gb x2

GPU:  Zotac Mini GeForce GTX 1070ti 8GB

PSU: Seasonic GX-750

Case: Inplay Robin 101 + 10 fans w/ hub and remote

Storage: Toshiba 1TB, Western Digital WD Green 1TB, Crucial BX500 480GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rhaemond said:

Thank you for your answer, may I ask what chip would best fit that AIO if ever I plan to upgrade my 2700?

There's no real chip that would be the best fit for an AIO. It would handle any consumer grade cpu I'd assume. It all depends on your budget, you won't be thermally restricted for a long time with this cooler. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rhaemond said:

I think a splitter already comes with it, sadly, I think the b450m mortar max doesn't have an argb header. Would the fans still light up?

Not without an ARGB header, but luckily there are some cheap alternatives that connect to SATA power through your PSU and act as an ARGB hub, controlled via external remote. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Be careful with used AIOS as well, sometimes they can be a waste of money and you might just get scammed. I wouldn't do it 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Rhaemond said:

Hi everyone, so I'm currently running a 2700 with a Wraith Prism cooler, is an upgrade from the Wraith Prism to a MasterLiquid ML360L ARGB V2 worth it? I'm being offered it for $63, and I'm looking to go for maybe a Ryzen 3600 or 3700 in the future. 
Further note, would an AIO be a hassle to manage? I've never owned one, and is a MasterLiquid ML360L ARGB V2 a reliable and good AIO? 
Thank you for all the answers in advance!

I’d say go for it, the Prism is pretty and not a bad stock cooler, but $63 for a decent AIO is hard to beat. Besides, you can always bring it unto your next CPU.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The R7 2700 should be perfectly fine with the Prism. After all, that's a better cooler than what the R7 2700 comes with stock. However, an upgrade wouldn't hurt if you'll be upgrading your CPU in the future. 

York (NAS/Secondary Desktop): Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), 24GB 1333MHz DDR3, Zotac GTX 550 Ti AMP! 1GB, HP OEM GTX 680 2GB, 500GB Crucial MX500, 2x 3TB HDD + 3x 2TB HDD (12TB total), Windows Server 2019

 

Phobos (Main Desktop): AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, XFX Radeon RX 570 4GB, 1TB WD Blue SN550, 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

 

Bondi: Apple iMac G3 (Tray Loader, Revision A), PowerPC 750, 384MB PC-66, ATI Rage IIc 2MB, 4GB Quantum Fireball, Mac OS 9.2.2

 

Clover (NAS): Dell OptiPlex 755 MT, Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (2C/2T), 8GB 800MHz DDR2, 160GB WD Caviar SE (Boot), 2x 1TB WD Caviar Blue (Storage), FreeNAS 11.3-U1

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rhaemond said:

MasterLiquid ML360L

Keep in mind that AIO's have a life expectancy of 5-6 years due to permeation.

Makes me wonder about those hybrid GPUs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BondiBlue said:

The R7 2700 should be perfectly fine with the Prism. After all, that's a better cooler than what the R7 2700 comes with stock. However, an upgrade wouldn't hurt if you'll be upgrading your CPU in the future. 

thank you! What CPU upgrade would utilize the AIO best?

7 hours ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

Keep in mind that AIO's have a life expectancy of 5-6 years due to permeation.

Makes me wonder about those hybrid GPUs.

wow that's actually a long time I thought they only lasted for 3 years at best

Motherboard: MSI B450m Mortar Max

Processor: Ryzen 7 2700 w/ Wraith Prism

RAM: Klev Cras X 3200mhz 8gb x2

GPU:  Zotac Mini GeForce GTX 1070ti 8GB

PSU: Seasonic GX-750

Case: Inplay Robin 101 + 10 fans w/ hub and remote

Storage: Toshiba 1TB, Western Digital WD Green 1TB, Crucial BX500 480GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rhaemond said:

thank you! What CPU upgrade would utilize the AIO best?

Probably a cpu that is harder to cool like the 5950x. 

The MasterLiquid ML360L ARGB V2 is more difficult to install than the Wraith Prism but it's a good deal at $63. 

Quote

wow that's actually a long time I thought they only lasted for 3 years at best

There are AIOs still running after 10 years although I wouldn't recommend buying one and expecting it to last that long. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Newegg

×