Thinking about switching to macOS.

So. I've been building PCs for the better part of a decade now. I've built and used many systems and have been Windows user primarily (i own an iphone and an older macbook pro). Last year I realised my productivity had taken a huge dip, thanks in part to my ability to find every excuse to procrastinate. I found myself playing League of Legends obsessively with a few hours of actual AAA games sprinked in there. Playing league has become a "comfort" thing for me. Whenever things get hard I go back to playing. I am looking to improve my productivity and take control of what I do in the time I use my computer. My point is this. I have been thinking about switching from Windows to MacOS, by selling my 2070super desktop for a 16" apple sillicon macbook pro when they come out, and buy myself a PS5. That way I can compartmentalise each "workflow" so that If I want to game it's not on my work computer, If I have to work it's not on my gaming setup. Has anyone had a similar experience and / or did something similar to this? Did switching improve your productivity? Am I crazy? Thanks :)

(tougee firmly in cheek) Switch to Linux - you'll never manage to distract yourself with any games because they won't work in the first place!聽馃槅

But no, seriously, if you don't need gaming capability (or indeed want to absolutely avoid it!) there's a lot to be said for switching to a Mac, and I'd definitely recommend it. But why buy a MacBook to replace a desktop? A Mac Mini would do the job just as well for substantially less money and you can continue using your current monitor.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber聽// beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

5 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

(tougee firmly in cheek) Switch to Linux - you'll never manage to distract yourself with any games because they won't work in the first place!聽馃槅

But no, seriously, if you don't need gaming capability (or indeed want to absolutely avoid it!) there's a lot to be said for switching to a Mac, and I'd definitely recommend it. But why buy a MacBook to replace a desktop? A Mac Mini would do the job just as well for substantially less money and you can continue using your current monitor.

I do agree that the m1 mac mini is a good deal. What I'm mostly interested in when it comes to the upcoming macbooks is the fact that they might have mini led displays, giving them potentially similar specs to the pro display xdr (the one with the 1k stand 馃槢聽). I do a lot of work with colors and a mobile version of the xdr display seems tempting. But yes you are absolutely right. The mac mini is a great little computer and I am considering it.聽My main thing is to separate work from gaming and actually at this point in my life stop online gaming fully!聽

Although I can say that I am more productive on my Macbook than I ever was when I had a聽gaming laptop, you won't be able to beat procrastination just by switching your computer with a different one, because you'll just start playing on the playstation instead. The only way you'll be able to beat that is by re-focusing yourself, organize your schedule and beat the urge to give up when you feel overwhelmed. If you can, I'd recommend getting help from a psychologist, it will be much easier for you, but nonetheless it's always up to you to improve and beat that damned procrastination bug!

1 minute ago, gtblitz said:

Although I can say that I am more productive on my Macbook than I ever was when I had a聽gaming laptop, you won't be able to beat procrastination just by switching your computer with a different one, because you'll just start playing on the playstation instead. The only way you'll be able to beat that is by re-focusing yourself, organize your schedule and beat the urge to give up when you feel overwhelmed. If you can, I'd recommend getting help from a psychologist, it will be much easier for you, but nonetheless it's always up to you to improve and beat that damned procrastination bug!

That's a good point. Yes. I am considering not doing the playstation thing at all. At least not yet. I want to stick though to what you said. You are more productive on your macbook. And probably there is an element of you wanting to be more productive and giving it your best, for sure, but I believe the whole experience (oh god i sound like a marketing campaign for mac) is more focused on productivity. I am inclined to give it a shot. Worst case I miss gaming so much that i seriously consider your pshycologist advice 馃槈

Actually this was one of my biggest reasons for Moving to Linux long Ago. 2 separate Systems with different purposes, one incapable of doing most things I would venture off into in the middle of work. It however really didn't last long, I found myself leaving the desk more frequently or finding things to play with inside my new work oriented system. As time went on the line between What I could do and Couldn't do started becoming thinner and thinner until I merged back into one system on my future forever home of the Linux World.

My problem came down to the fact that I was just becoming bored with something that I used to love to do and couldn't keep the motivation to finish a project, something I personally never overcame. The trick is finding a reason to stay motivated.

7 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

Actually this was one of my biggest reasons for Moving to Linux long Ago. 2 separate Systems with different purposes, one incapable of doing most things I would venture off into in the middle of work. It however really didn't last long, I found myself leaving the desk more frequently or finding things to play with inside my new work oriented system. As time went on the line between What I could do and Couldn't do started becoming thinner and thinner until I merged back into one system on my future forever home of the Linux World.

My problem came down to the fact that I was just becoming bored with something that I used to love to do and couldn't keep the motivation to finish a project, something I personally never overcame. The trick is finding a reason to stay motivated.

Well at least you found a new favorite platform 馃槢聽. But jokes aside i get your point. That's why i'm seeking advice. I'm not sure its a solution either. But I'm willing to bet it will help a bit. It's all in the spirit of self improving 馃槃

LoL is also available for Macs, if I'm not mistaken, so what's to stop you from procastrinating on a Mac as well?

Does your job have an office you can go to? If so, take your laptop there and place it with the monitor turned toward the door or somewhere else where others can see what you're doing. That'll cure your procastrination tendencies real fast.

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

On 5/10/2021 at 3:57 PM, Giganthrax said:

LoL is also available for Macs, if I'm not mistaken, so what's to stop you from procastrinating on a Mac as well?

Does your job have an office you can go to? If so, take your laptop there and place it with the monitor turned toward the door or somewhere else where others can see what you're doing. That'll cure your procastrination tendencies real fast.

I am self employeed. I am building a business. I think I am a productive person, but new beginnings can be stressful and that's where my procrastination tendencies are born. I already own a Mac. Though, not a top of the line model or anything but a 2017 13' pro. It can run league just fine, but I've never felt like playing while on my mac, even when I had no access to my desktop. I don't know. I'll do me a favor and fully delete the game from my computer and make it a point not to play for a month or something, and then I'll rethink the whole thing 馃槃

On 5/9/2021 at 6:31 AM, Fibeus said:

So. I've been building PCs for the better part of a decade now. I've built and used many systems and have been Windows user primarily (i own an iphone and an older macbook pro). Last year I realised my productivity had taken a huge dip, thanks in part to my ability to find every excuse to procrastinate. I found myself playing League of Legends obsessively with a few hours of actual AAA games sprinked in there. Playing league has become a "comfort" thing for me. Whenever things get hard I go back to playing. I am looking to improve my productivity and take control of what I do in the time I use my computer. My point is this. I have been thinking about switching from Windows to MacOS, by selling my 2070super desktop for a 16" apple sillicon macbook pro when they come out, and buy myself a PS5. That way I can compartmentalise each "workflow" so that If I want to game it's not on my work computer, If I have to work it's not on my gaming setup. Has anyone had a similar experience and / or did something similar to this? Did switching improve your productivity? Am I crazy? Thanks :)

I think this is a good idea, but. DO NOT download LoL on your Mac. As of December there is a compatible version, and downloading it would completely negate the thing you tried so hard to do. Other than that, from聽the other things I've read here I聽say it would be a good Idea, just make sure that you ensure聽the macbook's release and availability before you buy one I'd hate for you to get something that can't do what you want then be stuck in a corner due to the shortage.

I have the M1 Air and can confirm they're all they're cracked up to be,聽have never enjoyed a laptop more, and hope you enjoy yours if you end up getting one

I would recommend Linux. But if you really need mac os use opencore project to get mac os on your pc legitimately.

Or just buy a Mac if you aren't a fan of compiling your own iso

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

Separating your work from your gaming machine is a good idea, especially if you can physically separate them into different rooms. In order for me to do this, I actually just plugged my gaming rig into my TV and kept only my Mac and Linux desktops on my working desk.

So what I would recommend you do is instead of selling your rig for a PS5 (which is hard to get and doesn't have a great library yet), buy the new M1X 16" and then plug your 2070super machine into your TV. This will give you all the same benefits, plus you can always sell the PC and buy a PS5 later when either they become more available or the game library improves.