Is it okay to cover up the unused output ports with tape?

dani.petro
Go to solution Solved by Moonzy,

sure, just dont forget to take off the tape before u try to insert anything to prevent pushing the tape in and causing issues

though tbh, you probably dont have to do that

Is it okay to cover up the unused output ports of the gpu with masking tape?

My gpu didn't come with any port protectors so I used some tape to avoid dust and possibly moisture to get in and rust the ports.

IMG_20210509_155130.jpg

sure, just dont forget to take off the tape before u try to insert anything to prevent pushing the tape in and causing issues

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

10 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Actually its quite dusty in my area so thought of giving the ports atleast some protection.

Don't think it will be much effective against moisture but still will keep on for dust protection.

Thanks for the prompt response

You can use tape like you have, to cover the ports.

If you want some cleaner, you can always get some cover ports: https://www.amazon.com/HFEIX-Silicone-Computer-Interface-Protecor/dp/B09155F7L9/

The disadvantage to using tape, is that the bit of warmth from the graphics card can soften the adhesive

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 hours ago, minibois said:

You can use tape like you have, to cover the ports.

If you want some cleaner, you can always get some cover ports: https://www.amazon.com/HFEIX-Silicone-Computer-Interface-Protecor/dp/B09155F7L9/

The disadvantage to using tape, is that the bit of warmth from the graphics card can soften the adhesive

True. But the port covers are too overpriced. And importing them from China looks like a hassle.

Anyways I added some silica packs near the front intakes to atleast help absorb some moisture.

IMG_20210509_221351.jpg

yeah it might b difficult to get that off cleanly after a while (personally wouldnt do it, rather just blow off the dust once / month or so)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

48 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeah it might b difficult to get that off cleanly after a while (personally wouldnt do it, rather just blow off the dust once / month or so)

Okay dust can be cleaned off, but what about humidity? Will the tape protect against that?

Tape is fine, but using masking tape will leave a nasty residue if you leave it on longer than a few days. I'd use gaffers tape if you're going to do that, and get some lint on the sticky side with your clothes before sticking on, that will help alot with residue control. 

Not sure the silica packs will do anything meaningful for you, considering how much air is constantly moving in and out of the case, I'd be surprised if the silica pack made any measurable, let alone meaningful difference. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

Okay. I have removed all tapes. As you guys said it gets quite hot and tape's glue will melt and create another mess for me to clean.

I am keeping the ports as it was from factory and since I use my PC nearly everyday or once or twice every 2days I am safe from moisture too I guess.

Edited by dani.petro