What the heck just happened? (PC up in smoke!)

WaitDontSh00t

I'm really worried you guys.

I was playing a game on my computer, like I always do. All of a sudden my PC shut off with no warning. Just completely off.

I can't get it to turn back on and am worried something happened with my PSU.

Specs:

I9 10900k

32GB DDR4 4000Mhz

Dual 980Ti Hybrids

2x WD HDD

2x Samsung SSD

1x M.2

Asus Strix-E

Corsair RM1000i

I've had the PSU since around 2015 and just moved everything to a new system about a month ago. Never had any issues.

What's wrong with my PC?

My keyboard lights up if the PSU is in the on position, but if I try to turn on the PC I hear some sort of electronic "click" or something like it's trying to turn on? I'm not sure what to do. Thanks so much in advance.

Get a PSU tester.  They're cheap.  Ex. the generic 50+ people on Amazon selling the same model PSU tester:

https://www.amazon.com/Computer-PC-Tester-Connectors-Enclosure/dp/B076CLNPPK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=PSU+tester&qid=1620551070&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A2KUFRYMC05E5D&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVDhVSU5SWDdNUVdPJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjk0MTg3MUlFSlkyMldTVURHUiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzAwODkzMkZNU04yV0lBMVczVCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Can also do the basic sniff test.  Do you smell ozone or burnt plastic from the venting on the PSU?

Being an RM1000i, it also has the fan self-test button on the back.  If you push it while the power is connected, does the fan spin?

9 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Get a PSU tester.  They're cheap.  Ex. the generic 50+ people on Amazon selling the same model PSU tester:

https://www.amazon.com/Computer-PC-Tester-Connectors-Enclosure/dp/B076CLNPPK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=PSU+tester&qid=1620551070&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A2KUFRYMC05E5D&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVDhVSU5SWDdNUVdPJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjk0MTg3MUlFSlkyMldTVURHUiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzAwODkzMkZNU04yV0lBMVczVCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Can also do the basic sniff test.  Do you smell ozone or burnt plastic from the venting on the PSU?

Being an RM1000i, it also has the fan self-test button on the back.  If you push it while the power is connected, does the fan spin?

The fan does spin, yes. Unless it's my imagination, there may be a faint smell of something.

Holy shit nevermind...

Everything just started smoking!!!! What happened?!?!!

Just now, PineyCreek said:

Dude, unplug that NOW.

I did immediately...

I'm in panic mode right now, I'm so f* worried and have no idea what to do..

PSU and from the system. Shut it off immediately and unplugged it after I saw that. Smells really bad too..

Well.  Sounds like you and Corsair need to have a heart to heart...regardless of whether or not you're in warranty.  Maybe the system itself is fine and the smoke you saw in the system was just venting from the PSU.  Let it clear, pull the PSU (carefully), check for melting or burn marks.

3 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Well.  Sounds like you and Corsair need to have a heart to heart...regardless of whether or not you're in warranty.  Maybe the system itself is fine and the smoke you saw in the system was just venting from the PSU.  Let it clear, pull the PSU (carefully), check for melting or burn marks.

Ugh...I hope they seriously help me out here. Could have sworn it had a 10 year warranty. And I'm worried even more now because it looked like the smoke came pouring out from the Mobo and GPU connectors on there too..

Well, I would hope they'd help you out there.  They'll probably ask you to ship the dearly departed PSU to them with included cabling, etc. for analysis.  I've not had a bad experience with Corsair myself.

Any opinion on the magic smoke escaping @jonnyGURU?

I sure hope so.. I am so stressed and upset right now. I really hope it didn't destroy my entire system because if it did, I have no idea what I'd even do. 

22 minutes ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

I sure hope so.. I am so stressed and upset right now. I really hope it didn't destroy my entire system because if it did, I have no idea what I'd even do. 

Mmm...if the Corsair product directly caused it, perhaps they'd help out.  If not, home insurance after deductible? Bad stuff happens to good people...and to bad people.  Sorry it happened to you.  Sleep on it.  Send out feelers in the morning.  Relax a bit, have a nice breakfast or something with friends and vent.  Then, progress.

Just now, PineyCreek said:

Mmm...if the Corsair product directly caused it, perhaps they'd help out.  If not, home insurance after deductible? Bad stuff happens to good people...and to bad people.  Sorry it happened to you.

Thank you..

I'm trying to think positive. Hard to when all this happens, especially since it took forever to get the parts for this expensive build. Hoping I'll hear from Corsair soon..

I'll put any updates here that I have.

Just now, WaitDontSh00t said:

Thank you..

I'm trying to think positive. Hard to when all this happens, especially since it took forever to get the parts for this expensive build. Hoping I'll hear from Corsair soon..

I'll put any updates here that I have.

When more people are awake, you might get some more ideas or advice too.

Why do you think this is a PSU problem at all?

The "click" could have been protection preventing the PSU from energizing a potential short.  But if you're persistent and try and try again, eventually you're going to get unlucky and that protection won't work fast enough.

Open everything up and pull everything out and try to locate the source of the smoke.

Did you add anything to the PC recently?  An RGB lighting strip?  A drive?  A fan?

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Open everything up and pull everything out and try to locate the source of the smoke.

I know what you meant, but he might misinterpret this

@WaitDontSh00t : do NOT open the power supply.

6 minutes ago, electropical said:

I know what you meant, but he might misinterpret this

@WaitDontSh00t : do NOT open the power supply.

Ah.. Haha.. Yes.  I mean open the PC and look at the motherboard, drives, RAM, etc.

Do NOT open the PSU itself.

19 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Ah.. Haha.. Yes.  I mean open the PC and look at the motherboard, drives, RAM, etc.

Do NOT open the PSU itself.

Some things were added, but it wasn't as of "recent". I'd say about 4 weeks ago was the last time I changed something.

The PSU was for sure smoking. I turned everything off so fast and was panicking,it was hard to tell where the rest was coming from. Though I did see smoke pooring out from certain areas of the Mobo. Mainly seemed to come from the GPU slots.Couldnt tell if it was anywhere else. It sure smelled bad though. 

I'm so worried because if the PSU destroyed my system there's no way I can get parts. Especially my GPUs since that's impossible these days.

I wrote Corsair,hope to hear from them soon. Just super worried.

I examined the Mobo and other parts, but I don't "see" anything that looks out of the norm. I'll keep looking though to see.

Did you use the cables that came with the PSU? Any extensions or adapters?

6 minutes ago, Quartz11 said:

Did you use the cables that came with the PSU? Any extensions or adapters?

I used all the cables that came with the PSU. No extensions or adapters

It's depressing because I don't even know of the rest of my system is damaged, but I can't even find any local stores that have PSUs in stock.

The struggle is real.

If you have Amazon Prime subscription, there are some great options with fast delivery.  Assuming you can’t wait for the RMA process for the PSU.  By the way, are you using a closed loop liquid cooler?  Small leaks can cause electrical shorts and are not always obvious until looking closely.

1 hour ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

The PSU was for sure smoking. I turned everything off so fast and was panicking,it was hard to tell where the rest was coming from. Though I did see smoke pooring out from certain areas of the Mobo. Mainly seemed to come from the GPU slots.Couldnt tell if it was anywhere else. It sure smelled bad though. 

WHERE was the PSU smoking from?  Inside or one of the connectors on the modular board?

Just now, Quartz11 said:

If you have Amazon Prime subscription, there are some great options with fast delivery.  Assuming you can’t wait for the RMA process for the PSU.  By the way, are you using a closed loop liquid cooler?  Small leaks can cause electrical shorts and are not always obvious until looking closely.

I'll have to take a look there. I just hope the rest isn't damaged.

And yes, I have a closed loop CPU cooler, but it's brand new.

My hybrids are also closed loop, but system temps were fine and I didn't notice any leaks anywhere.