Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Intel has a LOT of lake variants and for someone like me its kind of hard to understand what's going on, I think Alder Lake is 12th gen but how exactly is it better and how is it different from rocket lake and tiger lake. Also would be great to know what letters at the end of CPU names represent what lake. Thanks

Alder Lake is basically general improvements + extra small cores on top of Tiger Lake which only gets 4. Rocket Lake is basically Tiger Lake's design with double the core count and 14nm

56 minutes ago, Anshuman1303 said:

Also would be great to know what letters at the end of CPU names represent what lake

They don't, the letters only represent whether the CPU has iGPU disabled, multiplier unlocked, 5w or 15w (default) or neither base power limit.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

53 minutes ago, Anshuman1303 said:

I think Alder Lake is 12th gen but how exactly is it better and how is it different from rocket lake and tiger lake

The difference will be in the architecture optimization and clock improvement, which leads to better Instruction Per Clock (how many maths it can do per second basically) which leads to a more efficient CPU or a much faster one. To put it simply in a rule of thumb: the newer it is, usually the better the product is (but of course there is exceptions to the rule and you should still refer to reviews)

57 minutes ago, Anshuman1303 said:

Also would be great to know what letters at the end of CPU names represent what lake

Its not in the letter, its in the numbers. Intel has made a consise guide to their CPU naming scheme.

https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/processors/processor-numbers.html

Remember to press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited comments! Press F5 to do so! | Remember to press that check mark on the right answer that solve your problem! | React to your heart, not peer pressure!

"Wow, you want me to say ara ara? Really?"

- Clock Girl

Self Introduction and Current Rig

🏳️‍⚧️ Rights

What we are sure about is that Alder lake simply will come with more cores without effecting the single core performance of other cores. regardless how fast they are, but more cores means more performance as long as they don't effect other cores, but how much more performance depends on the kind of the workload that the application ask for.

For gamers more cores could mean more performance for very few games considering that more cores won't drop other cores performance with Big.Little design and could promise to be more future proof because newer games are being optimized to make use of more and more cores

What we are not sure about is whether Alder lake is going to be actually better than Rocket lake for gamers. Based on recent news Alder lake golden cove core performance is much much less than Intel expected it to be so it may not even be any better than Rocket lake and I don't really see that Alder lake is going to be any good to wait for or to consider. Even DDR5 won't be better than today's fast DDR4 modules at release time so it will take more time to get considerably more performance with DDR5.

For Laptops Alder lake would definitely be an improvement in everything over older generations, but for Desktop I doubt that Alder lake would be any better.