Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What to look at for upgrading in the future

Hey there! After many, many, MANY years of being out of the loop of not just building and upgrading, but all the new innovations in the PC tech world, last year I started up again. A friend of mine gave me some parts that they upgraded from, and I started a new build based off of those. The CPU, RAM and video card,  but it was a start to get me back into it.

2016 Ryzen 5 1400

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15

4gb Radeon RX 580

So I built around those. I knew I'd be upgrading those components eventually, but not as soon as I did

From Memory express I picked up a decent case along with what I thought to be a mobo and CPU cooler that would be good for now and far future

Case: MSI MPG GUNGNIR 100D, EATX Mid Tower, USB 3.1 Gen 1 x 2, System Fan x1

Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler, Black / Red

Mobo: ASUS TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING w/ DDR4-2666, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit LAN, CrossFire

A couple months ago, I decided to upgrade

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 9 3900X Processor, 3.8GHz w/ 70MB Cache - AMD AM4 CPUs - Memory Express Inc.

Video: Specification RADEON RX 5600 XT MECH OC | MSI Global - The Leading Brand in High-end Gaming & Professional Creation

Ram: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB AMD Series 16GB DDR4 3200 CL16 Dual Channel Kit (2x 8GB) - PC4-25600 DDR4 3200 - Memory Express Inc.

Main Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27VQ 27in Curved 165Hz Gaming Monitor w/ 1ms VA Panel, FreeSync Premium - 26 - 29 Inch LCDs - Memory Express Inc.

2nd Monitor: LG 27EA53V-P: 27'' Class Slim IPS LED Monitor (27.0'' diagonal) | LG USA

I decided to use the Wraith cooler that came with it(mostly for the RGB), knowing that I'd probably have to use the freezer for decent OC.

I've tried just basic OC, although I'm not that into it, just to see what It can do

I'm no guru, but not a basic user either. So using Ryzen Master to do Auto OC, when I reboot my PC doesn't post. It sits there, and I have to power down in order to get to the bios and reload my profile.

I'm not sure what is holding everything back, but I surmise the Mobo is my culprit just from noticing some of the specs.

If someone could suggest a decent board for a good price, possibly some current config suggestions, I'd be most appreciative!

TIA!

Budget (including currency): $150-$200(might be able to squeeze $250 for the right reasons)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly games, some minor program processing