Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yo,

 

I have a 100mbps internet connection.

It has a crappy router but the WiFi range is pretty good.

I live in a 3 floor house.

My room is in the 3rd Floor.

My parents live in the First Floor (Ground Floor).

The router is in the first floor.

Now I get a little amount of signal in my room. And because of that the speed is low. 

 

What can I do to increase the range of my WiFi ?

Need help

Thank you

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried switching to the 2.4Ghz band network (usually called 3G under network options)? it's slower but has a farther range. I've tried wifi extenders but haven't had a good experience with them. (was getting disconnects 2-3 per hour)

Your other option would be to find a way to run an ethernet cable down to the router. Usually people won't mind if you can run it along a celling or somewhere where people don't walk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Have you tried switching to the 2.4Ghz band network (usually called 3G under network options)? it's slower but has a farther range. I've tried wifi extenders but haven't had a good experience with them. (was getting disconnects 2-3 per hour)

Your other option would be to find a way to run an ethernet cable down to the router. Usually people won't mind if you can run it along a celling or somewhere where people don't walk.

Okay thank u

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RAM555789 said:

2.4Ghz band network (usually called 3G under network options)?

That’s not technically true. The 3G designation is used for the the 3rd generation of mobile wireless technology. It has nothing to do with WiFi in this case. The same can be said for 5G being advertised now; that’s not the same as WiFi on the 5GHz frequency. But your overall recommendation makes sense.

 

8 hours ago, SladeDJWilson said:

My room is in the 3rd Floor.

My parents live in the First Floor (Ground Floor).

The router is in the first floor.

Expecting even a 2.4GHz signal to penetrate 2 floors with/without walls in the way in the virtical direction is asking a lot. So don’t be surprised if the signal is poor. As a matter of fact, if you were getting a few bars currently, it’s highly likely you were using the 2.4GHz band already.

 

The $0 solution to this isn’t guaranteed to help: Move the wireless router/gateway to the 2nd floor and test to see if coverage improves. Concrete, metal, any form of obstruction will attenuate WiFi. Furthermore, since most wireless routers are omnidirectional, their signal is best distributed in the horizontal plane.

 

The only sure way to improve wireless coverage on the 3rd floor is to place a wireless AP on that floor that is physically linked to the primary wireless router/gateway via ethernet. Wireless range extenders will not work because they need a decent signal to extend in the first place and can worsen overall network performance as a result of increased latency. Mesh is possible, but you won’t know for sure until the units are set up in your uniquely-laid out house.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Falcon1986 said:

That’s not technically true. The 3G designation is used for the the 3rd generation of mobile wireless technology. It has nothing to do with WiFi in this case. The same can be said for 5G being advertised now; that’s not the same as WiFi on the 5GHz frequency. But your overall recommendation makes sense.

 

Expecting even a 2.4GHz signal to penetrate 2 floors with/without walls in the way in the virtical direction is asking a lot. So don’t be surprised if the signal is poor. As a matter of fact, if you were getting a few bars currently, it’s highly likely you were using the 2.4GHz band already.

 

The $0 solution to this isn’t guaranteed to help: Move the wireless router/gateway to the 2nd floor and test to see if coverage improves. Concrete, metal, any form of obstruction will attenuate WiFi. Furthermore, since most wireless routers are omnidirectional, their signal is best distributed in the horizontal plane.

 

The only sure way to improve wireless coverage on the 3rd floor is to place a wireless AP on that floor that is physically linked to the primary wireless router/gateway via ethernet. Wireless range extenders will not work because they need a decent signal to extend in the first place and can worsen overall network performance as a result of increased latency. Mesh is possible, but you won’t know for sure until the units are set up in your uniquely-laid out house.

Thanks bud

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

That’s not technically true. The 3G designation is used for the the 3rd generation of mobile wireless technology. It has nothing to do with WiFi in this case. The same can be said for 5G being advertised now; that’s not the same as WiFi on the 5GHz frequency. But your overall recommendation makes sense.

 

I'm saying that wifi companies CALL it the 3G wifi when it's on the 2.4GHz band. I'm not referring to mobile at all in this case. Below you can see in my picture they use 3G and 5G in the names even though the wifi runs on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band. It is true with BOTH wifi and mobile though that the 5Ghz band and the 5G mobile towers have worse range and penetration when compared to 2.4Ghz and 3G mobile.

LTT.png

lttt.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×