Does it worth upgrading from Ryzen 3900x to 5900x now?

I was planning to sell my 3900x to get the new one. My plan was there since January, but since it was oos everywhere, I couldn't do a thing. And now there's some restock in my local Microcenter, so again I'm itching to buy one. The resell value of the 3900x is about $450 on ebay, so I have to pay around $150 (tax included) for the new cpu.

I had watched all the comparison videos and they all suggested that it's not worth the upgrade, but what happen if I'm to resell my old cpu for it? So it's about $150 for around 20% increase in performance. Does it still not worth it?

It really comes down to what you do on it, are you mainly using it for gaming or are you going to use it for productivity. 

For $150 difference, it's a no brainer. Buy it. It'll do more as an upgrade than $150 will do for pretty much anything else in your system, especially if you undervolt it with PBO2's curve optimizer.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

If you can get a 5900X for a price close to MSRP, it's worth it. Now's actually the best time to upgrade due to how high the prices are in the used market, assuming you can get a decent price on the part you're upgrading to.

I did exactly what you're considering, going from a 3900X to a 5900X and sold the 3900X for pretty much the same price I bought it for new in the first place. 

5 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

If you can get a 5900X for a price close to MSRP, it's worth it. Now's actually the best time to upgrade due to how high the prices are in the used market, assuming you can get a decent price on the part you're upgrading to.

I did exactly what you're considering, going from a 3900X to a 5900X and sold the 3900X for pretty much the same price I bought it for new in the first place. 

Yes, that's what I'm thinking too. To add to that, the 5000 series is going to be the last for the AM4 socket. It's like if I'm to wait a little longer for the AM5 cpu, then I'm also going to need a new motherboard, which means there is no point reselling my old cpu anymore. It will turn out to be buying a new computer instead of an upgrade.

What make me hesitant is that when I ask my friends or from the videos, they're all like "Do you really need it?." I was like "Um, no. But it seems like a good deal."

5 minutes ago, lansing said:

Yes, that's what I'm thinking too. To add to that, the 5000 series is going to be the last for the AM4 socket. It's like if I'm to wait a little longer for the AM5 cpu, then I'm also going to need a new motherboard, which means there is no point reselling my old cpu anymore. It will turn out to be buying a new computer instead of an upgrade.

What make me hesitant is that when I ask my friends or from the videos, they're all like "Do you really need it?." I was like "Um, no. But it seems like a good deal."

Eh, being an enthusiast is all about having things you don't "need". If everyone just went for what we needed, we'd all have £10 keyboards and 1080p monitors. 

It's probably the best time to upgrade, especially as once the chip shortages are resolved, the price of the 3900X is going to fall so you'll end up worse off when you come to sell it. 

32 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Eh, being an enthusiast is all about having things you don't "need". If everyone just went for what we needed, we'd all have £10 keyboards and 1080p monitors. 

It's probably the best time to upgrade, especially as once the chip shortages are resolved, the price of the 3900X is going to fall so you'll end up worse off when you come to sell it. 

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to get one tomorrow.😃