cheap graphics card that is compatible with a dell OptiPlex with core i-5.

Budget (including currency): under 80$ US

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Minecraft,fortnite,terraria,and first person explorer games like ark.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Dell OptiPlex with core i-5   - 250gb ssd   -250w power supply

Its a much better thing to know what specific core i5 does it have?

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

What exact core i5 does it have? Is it a small form factor or full size tower?

Ha!
Good luck getting a house that's not a gt710 in a 80$ budget right now.

Just use the igpu. It's definitely going to be better than a 80$ gpu.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Any GPU you’d get at that price would perform on par with the integrated graphics of the cpu. Don't waste your money.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

You could look on craigslist or offerup for a used GT1030 GDDR5, I found one for 30$ even during the GPU craze

14 minutes ago, bigpoopy72 said:

Budget (including currency): under 80$ US

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Minecraft,fortnite,terraria,and first person explorer games like ark.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Dell OptiPlex with core i-5   - 250gb ssd   -250w power supply

HD 7570. $15. Gold mine for old systems like this. Dirt cheap (even today), better than older integrated graphics by a fair bit. The FirePro V3900 is another great option. $25-30 would get you an HD 8570, which is basically an R7 240. Trash, yes, but for $30 it's trash worth using as a stopgap.

The issue is that there's not really much in between $30 and $80 that's (1.) worth buying and (2.) anything remotely resembling a good deal. You could even challenge the three cards I suggested as not being worth buying, to which I'd say that their average cost is about $20 and they'll kick the crap out of what I'm guessing are Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge integrated graphics.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

What OptiPlex in particular? What specific Core i5? Details are important before anyone can actually give you a recommendation that isn't based on assumptions. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

Since your PSU is limited to 250W, that means you'll want to go with a card that gets all of its power from the slot, which limits the options. Luckily (as lucky as you can get in this market, which ain't much...) there are a couple of old Quadro cards that are "reasonably priced" (when you consider the market) and don't require supplemental power. I think people overlook them because they don't know how Quadros stack up, but in this market, I think they're the way to go.

If you just want a dirt-cheap stopgap that is better than the iGPU on older Intel CPUs, you have the Quadro 600, which regularly goes for $20 on eBay. There are a number of Buy It Nows currently available for that price. I have one in an old Dell system and it's not the worst thing ever when compared to older Intel integrated graphics. It can play Minecraft alright if you turn down the quality settings. The rest of those games will be a bit rough, but it's better than the integrated graphics at least, and for $20 I don't think it's totally insane as a stopgap. It's comparable to a GT 710 in terms of power, but it's cheaper.

If you want to spend more, there's the Quadro K620. That one goes for $45-50 and is roughly comparable to a GTX 650 in terms of power. That would be a good step up and probably be the one I would go for.

Edited by YoungBlade
missed a letter in paragraph 2 and mis-typed the average price on the K620