Ryzen 5000 & ASUS B450-F Motherboard

I just purchased a Ryzen 5 5600x coming from a R5 2600. I currently have a ASUS B450-F Motherboard that supports 2nd gen ryzen, and is capable of supporting 3rd gen ryzen with a bios update.

I am just wondering if the 5600x is capable of running on this motherboard if I upgrade to 3rd gen capability, or is the ryzen 5000 series completely different from 3rd gen ryzen? (Ex. r5 3600, 3700x, etc)

If I need to upgrade, what are the best options for a 5000 series chipset?

1 minute ago, Aznn said:

or is the ryzen 5000 series completely different from 3rd gen ryzen? (Ex. r5 3600, 3700x, etc)

Nope, you got it all wrong. Ryzen 1xxx series are Zen, 2xxx are Zen+ (Zen refresh), and 3xxx is the 2nd gen Ryzen. 5xxx is the 3rd gen (i know, confusing. Blame AMD not me)

2 minutes ago, Aznn said:

currently have a ASUS B450-F Motherboard

You can adequately run a 5000 series on that board. Youll need to update your BIOS to 4007 or newer.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

9 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Nope, you got it all wrong. Ryzen 1xxx series are Zen, 2xxx are Zen+ (Zen refresh), and 3xxx is the 2nd gen Ryzen. 5xxx is the 3rd gen (i know, confusing. Blame AMD not me)

AMD classifies 2000 series Ryzen processors as "second gen"

https://www.amd.com/en/where-to-buy/2nd-gen-ryzen

You'll see that the links go to product pages for 2000 series Ryzen (the ones that still work anyway)

https://www.newegg.com/promotions/amd/18-1234/index.html?cm_sp=Cat_CPUs-Processors-_-amd%2f18-1234-_-http%3a%2f%2fpromotions.newegg.com%2famd%2f18-1234%2f1920x360.jpg&icid=446894

If you follow marketing material for third gen, you are taken to pages for 3000 series.

Here's the kicker: AMD stopped using "gen" as a marketing term (as far as I know) for 5000 series because yes, it is too confusing but let's not get bogged down in the details.

9 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

You can adequately run a 5000 series on that board. Youll need to update your BIOS to 4007 or newer.

Correct. The BIOS compatibility is listed on the site for the motherboard.

Edited by Fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

11 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Thank you for this, now I know I can save money from buying a new motherboard. I appreciate the comment