Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So.. I've been trying to get my hands on an RTX 3070 since release and every time I get close, it slips out of my hands.. So anyways I gave up and bought a Cyberpowerpc prebuilt for $1500 with a 3070, Ryzen 7 3700x, etc.. However the power supply in it is a Apevia 800w 80+ gold. I've read and heard a lot of bad things about this company, and it's starting to make me nervous about it being in my system. Some people are saying the 800w Apevia is actually a decent PSU, but what do you guys think? Should I replace it? and if so what PSU should I replace it with?

Apevia doesn't make any good power supplies. 

11 minutes ago, iRain said:

Some people are saying the 800w Apevia is actually a decent PSU

Maybe it's "decent" for a couple months, then poof. If you can find any actual reviews of the product by a major tech outlet, instead of user testimony, you can get a lot more insigh. But apevia's units aren't worth looking at so most

places don't bother reviewing them.

For a 3070, plenty of users are equipped with a high quality 550 watt power supply. The A tier of the local PSU tier list is the best place to compare within. Though many people will recommend 600 watts or higher which is fine too.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

If you are going to buy a new PSU, do not get 550W for a 3070.  At the minimum 650W.  (750W even better.)  I don't understand recommendations that give the bare minimum suggestion and don't realize that the 550W PSUs vary from model to model, not to mention they can be loud at high wattage and run hot (and have a shorter lifespan).  I agree about looking at the tier list and also at good PSU reviews for any units you might consider to buy.  And by good I mean ones with some internal component analysis and more measurements than just a quick table of load-efficiency values as some "reviews" do.

P.S.: give us your budget and your country for where you are looking to buy your PSU.

4 hours ago, iRain said:

So.. I've been trying to get my hands on an RTX 3070 since release and every time I get close, it slips out of my hands.. So anyways I gave up and bought a Cyberpowerpc prebuilt for $1500 with a 3070, Ryzen 7 3700x, etc.. However the power supply in it is a Apevia 800w 80+ gold. I've read and heard a lot of bad things about this company, and it's starting to make me nervous about it being in my system. Some people are saying the 800w Apevia is actually a decent PSU, but what do you guys think? Should I replace it? and if so what PSU should I replace it with?

When you order the PC, you can choose to upgrade the PSU.  If you don't, you get stuck with the Apeshitvia.  Is it too late to exchange the PSU with CyberPower?

14 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

When you order the PC, you can choose to upgrade the PSU.  If you don't, you get stuck with the Apeshitvia.  Is it too late to exchange the PSU with CyberPower?

Sadly it is... I ordered an Enermax Revolution DF ERF850EWT 80+ Gold 850W from amazon last night, is this one good? And do you think it would be okay to use the apevia for 2 days while waiting for it? Ive had one issue of the PC powering down once in a game, and one issue of the display signal being lost while watching youtube.. (However someone told me to do a scan and windows found 1 error which they believe causes the random display loss)

3 hours ago, iRain said:

Sadly it is... I ordered an Enermax Revolution DF ERF850EWT 80+ Gold 850W from amazon last night, is this one good?

The Revolution D.F. is a very good.

10 hours ago, iRain said:

Sadly it is... I ordered an Enermax Revolution DF ERF850EWT 80+ Gold 850W from amazon last night, is this one good? And do you think it would be okay to use the apevia for 2 days while waiting for it? Ive had one issue of the PC powering down once in a game, and one issue of the display signal being lost while watching youtube.. (However someone told me to do a scan and windows found 1 error which they believe causes the random display loss)

Yes.  You should be fine for a couple days.  The PSU "should" just shut down if it's "overstressed", which it's already proven it does.

got the new PSU today.. opened the box up and heard a rattling sound.. turned the psu upside-down and gave it a little shake.. and a metal nut fell out 🙂 guess the psu was pregnant.. anyways didn't want to take the risk that it damaged anything so I returned it and ordered another one.. 

20210511_164006.jpg

12 minutes ago, iRain said:

got the new PSU today.. opened the box up and heard a rattling sound.. turned the psu upside-down and gave it a little shake.. and a metal nut fell out 🙂 guess the psu was pregnant.. anyways didn't want to take the risk that it damaged anything so I returned it and ordered another one.. 

20210511_164006.jpg

Umm.... That's not good.  That's one of the nuts that locks the MOSFET to the heatsink.  Looks like they don't ask for Nyloc nuts like Corsair does (cost adder).  😞

Yeah.. I was extremely disappointed when I picked it up and heard the rattling inside.. hopefully it was just a fluke and the replacement that gets here tomorrow will be all good to go..