Am I running out of juice?

Foltz13

I just upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 5950x and I am also running an Evga 3080x with an 850w power supply. Earlier this week I received some new peripherals (all are powered by USB), since I have plugged some of those in my computer has crashed twice in the middle of a Warzone game. To boot my computer back up I have to go around and flip the actual power supply off and back on. Do I just need a bigger power supply? If so how much. I should also mention that I got a new Mic today, also powered by usb, and when I went to plug it in directly to a motherboard USB port I got a windows error about not being able to support any more usb which I find weird because I still had 2 more free USB ports on my Mobo.

All my peripherals are as followed: Corsair Scimitar, Corsair K100, Corsair nexus, Elgato Stream deck, Elgato Wave 3, and my base station for my Astro A50’s (wireless headset)

If you need more information or if I left anything important out please let me know as this is a big problem that I would like to see be solved ASAP. 

7 minutes ago, Foltz13 said:

I just upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 5950x and I am also running an Evga 3080x with an 850w power supply. 

Which PSU and GPU are you using?

What exact model of power supply is it? 850W should be enough for that config, but if it's a cheap unit it might not be able to handle that much. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Always handy to have a measurement device, either with a UPS attached to the computer or with something like a kill-a-watt...but I agree with the above poster.  What PSU?  Might have garbage 12V rail performance, etc.

Haven't experienced any crashes on a 5950X/3070/C850.

Regarding the crashing issue. Have you done anything along the lines of overclocking or undervolting? The second idea that I had was that 30-series GPUs draw lots of power, sometimes they might eat enough power for a short amount of time that your power supply just can't stand it. This was a known issue with 30-series cards. A 5950X and a 3080 should be very well fed by an 850W. My 5950X running PBO2 with Curve Optimizer guzzles around 250W using P95, and during a GPU test, my 3070 drew 225W, yet it's been stable since the settings were applied. 

Regarding the USB issue. Have you updated your BIOS? Apparently, AMD boards had an issue with USB that was fixed in most motherboard BIOSes. 

9 minutes ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

Which PSU and GPU are you using?

Evga GA supernova 850w and EVGA XC3 ultra 3080

8 minutes ago, Deslumo said:

Haven't experienced any crashes on a 5950X/3070/C850.

Regarding the crashing issue. Have you done anything along the lines of overclocking or undervolting? The second idea that I had was that 30-series GPUs draw lots of power, sometimes they might eat enough power for a short amount of time that your power supply just can't stand it. This was a known issue with 30-series cards. A 5950X and a 3080 should be very well fed by an 850W. My 5950X running PBO2 with Curve Optimizer guzzles around 250W using P95, and during a GPU test, my 3070 drew 225W, yet it's been stable since the settings were applied. 

Regarding the USB issue. Have you updated your BIOS? Apparently, AMD boards had an issue with USB that was fixed in most motherboard BIOSes. 

Thank you I will have to see if I have a bios update

9 minutes ago, Foltz13 said:

Evga GA supernova 850w and EVGA XC3 ultra 3080

Oh... GA actually seems to have a problem with amperes.

If the problem is not resolved, try requesting an RMA.

10 minutes ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

Oh... GA actually seems to have a problem with amperes.

If the problem is not resolved, try requesting an RMA.

Okay thank you for your help