Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's a tech term you hate?

2 hours ago, Jaesop said:

...I literally never said or implied that. What in the world?

Seemed that way.  Not sure where that error occurred.  Explains a lot though.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Closures in JavaScript;

Long time ago I tried learning the basic of HTML, CSS and JavaScript but I remember had really hard time understanding what Closures are.

Silicon lottery. "Binned chips"

Is a tech term way openly used.

To bin chips....

Get at least one full tray of chips and start testing. Pick the 5 fastest chips, those are binned.

But just because the cores clock high, doesn't mean your memory controller is worth a shit.

No, you didn't win some silicon lottery with a cpu that boosted 50mhz higher than someone else's. It just doesn't work that way.

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! - - Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below -

Spoiler

On 9/15/2021 at 9:39 PM, Bombastinator said:

Seemed that way.  Not sure where that error occurred.  Explains a lot though.

Not sure how it could "seem" like I said something I didn't, but okay.

calling me a hacker as I am trying to figure out how a site is structured thought inspect.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68.

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell prebuilt (main) - i5-6400- 20GB ram - 500gb HDD dvd 

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD roms 

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 minute ago, Jaesop said:

Not sure how it could "seem" like I said something I didn't, but okay.

Words suck that way.  Happens all the time.  It’s why telephone works as a game. Communication is never perfect.  

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, sub68 said:

calling me a hacker as I am trying to figure out how a site is structured thought inspect.

Sounds like this one starts with a basic misunderstanding of the term “hacker” from the commentator.  For them it may just mean “does somethihing I don’t understand with computers”. 

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Sounds like this one starts with a basic misunderstanding of the term “hacker” from the commentator.

Yeah

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

For them it may just mean “does somethihing I don’t understand with computers”. 

or sites like in like 2 clicks I figured out how to download any tik tok from there site.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68.

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell prebuilt (main) - i5-6400- 20GB ram - 500gb HDD dvd 

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD roms 

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Words suck that way.  Happens all the time.  It’s why telephone works as a game. Communication is never perfect.  

I mean, the point is I never said those words. I think you're trying to say you misread what I said or just forgot.

13 minutes ago, Jaesop said:

I mean, the point is I never said those words. I think you're trying to say you misread what I said or just forgot.

The impression I got is the impression I got.  For example, I am getting the impression the view of the last few posts seems to me to be more or less “I DEMAND THAT THIS BE YOUR FAULT!!  I COMMUNICATED CORRECTLY! YOU JUST SUCK!!” Communication doesn’t work that way.  There is the intent of the concept of what is to be communicated, and the reception of that concept.  Ideally they are the same.  This is not always the case though.  Apparently it wasn’t in the case discussed.  Whether your delivery was imperfect or my reception of it was imperfect is irrelevant.  Exact communication was not achieved.  Such things happen.  One hears about people “walking back” comments all the time.  It’s a thing that is necessary.  The issue with walking comments back, is that there becomes a question of whether the initial reception actually accurately portrayed the intent.  I do not personally believe this to be true in this case.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

For example, I am getting the impression the view of the last few posts seems to be more or less “I DEMAND THAT THIS BE YOUR FAULT!!  I COMMUNICATED CORRECTLY! YOU JUST SUCK!!”

I'm not demanding anything be your fault. I'm pointing out that you thought I said something I objectively didn't.

Also, no idea why you're inventing whole cloth that I insulted you. Yikes.

Whether your delivery was imperfect or my reception of it was imperfect is irrelevant.

Yeah, I'm gonna disagree. It seems a lot more like you're incapable of acknowledging that you made a mistake.

One hears about people “walking back” comments all the time.  It’s a thing that is necessary.  

Yeah dude. People do that when they realize they were mistaken. Y'know - like you were.

2 minutes ago, Jaesop said:

I'm not demanding anything be your fault. I'm pointing out that you thought I said something I objectively didn't.

Also, no idea why you're inventing whole cloth that I insulted you. Yikes.

Yeah, I'm gonna disagree. It seems a lot more like you're incapable of acknowledging that you made a mistake.

Yeah dude. People do that when they realize they were mistaken. Y'know - like you were.

It’s a gestalt of the collected statements.  If it is again not your intent it is again not your intent.  It is the communication I am receiving, but communication is never perfect.  That mistaken thing is the assumption I was talking about.  It isn’t always true.  This is why there are “successful walk backs” and unsuccessful ones, as well as shades between the two.  As example your last paragraph lends credence to the original interpretation though it may not  have been intended to do so.

Calling 1440p "QHD"

Samsung calling their proprietary tech "QLED"

32:9, 1440p or 1080p displays labeled as "4k"

32:9 being called "ultra widescreen", when that term should refer to 21:9

calling a display "curved" without ever giving the r-value

using arc-minutes of eye resolution to poo-poo 4k (vs. dot-pitch and viewing distance)

ultra-thin; usually means "can't cool worth a crap"

FHD - as we had higher-definition in the days of WUXGA

loads more

1 hour ago, IPD said:

Calling 1440p "QHD"

Samsung calling their proprietary tech "QLED"

32:9, 1440p or 1080p displays labeled as "4k"

32:9 being called "ultra widescreen", when that term should refer to 21:9

calling a display "curved" without ever giving the r-value

using arc-minutes of eye resolution to poo-poo 4k (vs. dot-pitch and viewing distance)

ultra-thin; usually means "can't cool worth a crap"

FHD - as we had higher-definition in the days of WUXGA

loads more

All systems invented by marketers to attempt to mislead.  As someone who commonly has issues with that in many aspects of life I cannot but agree.

"Transpile"

It just does the opposite of having a ring to it - especially considering it's a portmanteu of "translate" and "compile", and "translate" is already a perfectly fine description of what it's doing!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.