Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's a tech term you hate?

4 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Ok, so future proof means that it's something that will not become obsolete.

AMD released Zen2 but was already in the manufacturing process of Zen 3. 

So your chip was essentially obsolete at purchase time. You future proofed nothing.

Well everything will always be eventually obsolete so.. it makes no sense. Thats why I use the term the way I described.

Used -700% storage

7 hours ago, Shammikit said:

I hate it when people say Battle Station more than gamin rig

That's because a "Battle Station" sounds more like a bencher's rig.
You know, ready to go to war with any and all others....

THIS is a true battle station - In this pic the action had just ended so she was retired from battle....
For now.

100_0311.JPG

Just now, Murasaki said:

Well everything will always be eventually obsolete so.. it makes no sense. Thats why I use the term the way I described.

A water proof watch will always be water proof. If it spent 20 years on a shelf, you can put that watch into the water and it will still be water proof. 

When dual cores where released for the first time, everyone said the same thing. My dual core is future proof. Until like a year or two later when quad cores where released... the same conversation was held. Well that didn't last very long either.

If it's future proof, it must last all of future time to pass. 

Bullet proof glass can stand 100 years and still be bullet proof. 

Your PC, not so much so. 

But humans have a hard time to imagine long term. That bullet proof glass will still be bullet proof after you hit old age and died. 

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! - - Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below -

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

That's because a "Battle Station" sounds more like a bencher's rig.
You know, ready to go to war with any and all others....

THIS is a true battle station - In this pic the action had just ended so she was retired from battle....
For now.

100_0311.JPG

Awesome!

Here's mine in Battle in slow mo!

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! - - Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below -

Spoiler

How awesome is that??

I want to try lol.. there is a Praxair 2 blocks from me.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Frost Commander 140

Asus Strix B550-F | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200C14

EVGA 980 Classified | WD SN750 500GB+1TB

Seasonic Prime GX-750 | Fractal Design Meshify C TG

VR and AI. Two most annoying buzzwords that everyone just throws around like magic dust. VR kinda died out tho, thank god...

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3733MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES 01/03 | Altec Lansing MX5021 Nichicon FineGold/MUSES 8920

Just now, freeagent said:

How awesome is that??

I want to try lol.. there is a Praxair 2 blocks from me.

My wife thought I was going to burn the house down with LN2 the first time I tried it. (that was more than a decade ago lol) 

The kids love when I get Dry Ice or LN2. We always do cool science experiments with what's left over.

Not only good for OC, but good for the family too!

Spoiler

I know my boys would think that is awesome! 

Well maybe this summer I will check it out!

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Frost Commander 140

Asus Strix B550-F | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200C14

EVGA 980 Classified | WD SN750 500GB+1TB

Seasonic Prime GX-750 | Fractal Design Meshify C TG

42 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Ok, so future proof means that it's something that will not become obsolete.

AMD released Zen2 but was already in the manufacturing process of Zen 3. 

So your chip was essentially obsolete at purchase time. You future proofed nothing.

Imo futureproof is subjective. 

It just mrans that it will perform well enough for the user to do what they want on it for how ever long they need it to preform like that.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Imo futureproof is subjective. 

It just mrans that it will perform well enough for the user to do what they want on it for how ever long they need it to preform like that.

Future proof is something that will last indefinitely. 

If it ever becomes obsolete, it's not future proofed. 

Spoiler

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

Future proof is something that will last indefinitely. 

If it ever becomes obsolete, it's not future proofed. 

So nothings future proof?

Bulletproof glass will breakdown. 

A watch will stop ticking.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

This is why it's actually called 'bullet resistant' glass, you'll find that no one markets it as 'bullet proof'.  The lawyers are all like 'Oh we can't say 'bullet proof'.'

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X DD XXX OC

UnRAID #1: Intel E5-2697v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 48GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: Lenovo M93P Tiny: i7 4950HQ, 16GB DDR3 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

25 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

So nothings future proof?

A watch will stop ticking.

No, you misunderstand.

As long as the glass is never shot at, it's always bullet proof. You don't need to upgrade that piece of glass, it is indefinitely bullet proof. Nothing needs to be invented or released to change that fact.

A watch ticking and being water proof are 2 different things. If the watch gives time or not does not matter. You can put the watch into the water at any point of time in the future and the inside will remain dry.

A PC cannot be future proofed because it will become obsolete period.

I dislike when someone "bullet proofs" a transmission. It's totally wrong in context. But basically it means it's upgraded to withstand additional horse power and torque. Has nothing to do with bullets at all. 

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

This is why it's actually called 'bullet resistant' glass, you'll find that no one markets it as 'bullet proof'.  The lawyers are all like 'Oh we can't say 'bullet proof'.'

That was a thing that was, and wasn’t then was again, apparently.  I’m seeing “waterproof to X meters” on things these days.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Ya_Mi said:

Solid State Drive because it doesn't spin

SSD=Solid State Drive... And they don't Spin, so noise free...

At first it meant Solid State Device when referring to ICs in general. But that was long ago.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That was a thing that was, and wasn’t then was again, apparently.  I’m seeing “waterproof to X meters” on things these days.

They proved it.

It was proven the PC technology is not future proof or I'd still be using my FX-55 and DFI lanparty board running 2x 7600GTs in SLI. We totally thought that system was future proofed. Until the future arrived.

The watch will remain water "resistant" for all of future time. There needs to be no additional changes because it was already proved. A 35 year old watch is still water proof. Your 35 year old PC.... not so much eh?

Spoiler

15 hours ago, crazzp said:

Male/Female connector. I understand it perfectly describes the type of connector but I believe there are more elegant ways to describe it instead of making me imagine certain human organs whenever I deal with connectors. 

It’s referred to this way because it’s a universal standard for electronic engineering terminology. And not just universal in that everyone uses it, but that in all formal and official documentation, regulatory media and guidelines, it’s referred to as male and female connectors.

While I know you don’t have this idea for the same reasons, I really dislike the move against using terminology like this, as it’s upsetting standards for no reason other than that it doesn’t sound nice with no context.

BANDWIDTH 

It's not the term itself that I hate, but rather how people get the meaning of it completely wrong.

If the number you're talking about is measured in bits/second (or bytes/s or any other form of data/second) the word you should be using is something like:

- throughput

- capacity

- transfer rate

- bitrate

- etc.

bandwidth refers to the signal frequency range involved/used in some situation. Although it's often proportional to the data rate, it's not the same thing.

16 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

BANDWIDTH 

It's not the term itself that I hate, but rather how people get the meaning of it completely wrong.

If the number you're talking about is measured in bits/second (or bytes/s or any other form of data/second) the word you should be using is something like:

- throughput

- capacity

- transfer rate

- bitrate

- etc.

bandwidth refers to the signal frequency range involved/used in some situation. Although it's often proportional to the data rate, it's not the same thing.

Yup, that's one of my personal pet peeves - a classic example of many terms being referred to as one. Like how many people think that megapixels are the only thing that matters when it comes to buying a camera and don't consider aperture, actual resolution, framerate for video, color depth, etc.

Is it plugged in? Is it turned on? Are you sure? No, really. 

There are a couple:

FutureProof: Like, theirs no such thing as future proofing. People say that a build is future proof because it is good, but that doesn't make it future proof. New hardware always comes out, so your build will never be future proof.

Bottlenecking: This is not a horrible term, but i hate it because everyone uses it wrong. Everyone askes, will this CPu bottleneck this GPU and im like YES!!! bottleneck happens all the time. And people act like the CPU runs the GPU which is just wrong, for instance, some people might say that the Ryzen 5 2600 bottlenecks the RTX 3090 (which is true, but thats not what they mean), but seriously, the CPU doesn't run the GPU, if your ok with 2600 performance with a 3090, than ok. I wish that people would'nt use this term wrong. Thats why i never use it, im probably using it wrong.

Only cool kids (dark mode users) can read this.

6 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

If it's future proof, it must last all of future time to pass. 

Nothing is truly futureproof, a computer isn't, nothing humans or any other possible civilization can make can last forever, stars will at some point explode or fade away turning into dark cold balls that will remain drifting through space until the very fabric of space tears apart, not even time itself is futureproof as it'll cease to exist at some point so saying an i9-11900K is futureproof just because it's new is plain dumb.

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

VR and AI. Two most annoying buzzwords that everyone just throws around like magic dust. VR kinda died out tho, thank god...

"AI-powered smart toilet brush"

Finitude is what the two clock hands indicate as they point towards my cruel destiny. 

5 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

My wife thought I was going to burn the house down with LN2 the first time I tried it. (that was more than a decade ago lol) 

The kids love when I get Dry Ice or LN2. We always do cool science experiments with what's left over.

Not only good for OC, but good for the family too!

Have you tried making ice cream with it? The smoothest creamiest ice cream you'll ever have.

On-topic: I guess my biggest peeve is "1 ms response time" on monitors still being around. It has lost any but all meaning. Even if there was value in it, when was the last time a monitor advertised a number other than 1. The box either says <=1ms or nothing so why even bother.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | Storage: 250 GB Crucial BX100 SSD + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 1TB WD Green + 3TB WD Red | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

4 hours ago, akio123008 said:

BANDWIDTH 

- throughput

- capacity

- transfer rate

- bitrate

- etc.

Though sometimes people mean bandwidth.

Really the problem is "effective bandwidth" witch is much better described as throughput.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler