Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's a tech term you hate?

22 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I hate RMA the way it's used now. RMA means "Return Merchandise Authorisation". It means the manufacturer has authorised you to return the product to them. It is not a verb, or a replacement for the word "return".

 

Therefore:

 

"I want to RMA my widget", meaning "My widget is faulty and I'm going to contact the manufacturer so I can return it" is wrong and annoying. Just say you want to "return" it instead.

 

"I have an RMA for my widget", meaning "The manufacturer has told me I can return my widget", is fine.

I think people use RMA to differentiate from a regular return. Seems like when most people say return, they mean to return the product no questions asked (as long as the product is in the original condition and not damaged by the user) within the 30 day period or whatever the return period is. RMA is then used when making a warranty claim when the product is defective. I’m not saying that’s correct, but you are correct that RMA does not replace return, since most people use each term to mean different things. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I could totally see a 3600 burying a 1060 in a lot of things. My 4770 can bury a 580 with fallout4.  Maybe you should be playing anno with that rig.

I think i own a ANNO game on origin.. Will actually tempt that.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 3600 at 4GHz/1.2vMasterLiquid ML360R RGB | MSI GeForce RTX™ 3080 Ti SUPRIM X | Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 (2x 8GB) 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1000x | Kingston A2000 1TB | Samsung EVO 850 - 500 GB | Samsung EVO Pro 850 - 250 GB Fractal Design R6 Black (Silent) | 3x FractalDesign Dynamic X2 GW-14 & 3x CoolerMaster 120mm RGB (I have removed the RGB from the 360mm aio because its so clunky to setup ive simply given up 😞 )

Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7 240hz/1ms, ACER Predator XB271H A 144hz/1ms. (Yeah i sold the Philips 273ELH to a friend XD)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I hate RMA the way it's used now. RMA means "Return Merchandise Authorisation". It means the manufacturer has authorised you to return the product to them. It is not a verb, or a replacement for the word "return".

 

Therefore:

 

"I want to RMA my widget", meaning "My widget is faulty and I'm going to contact the manufacturer so I can return it" is wrong and annoying. Just say you want to "return" it instead.

 

"I have an RMA for my widget", meaning "The manufacturer has told me I can return my widget", is fine.

Hmm… you may have a point.  I think of RMA  as “send back temporarily for testing or replacement but I want the thing back”

 

A lot of computer components are simply too dangerous or complex or both to be checked for functionality by a layman, and troubleshooting requires extending the chain of known good. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2021 at 10:02 AM, RejZoR said:

VR and AI. Two most annoying buzzwords that everyone just throws around like magic dust. VR kinda died out tho, thank god...

I haven't seen any evidence of VR dying out, more like it's growing tremendously. I definitely get people throwing around AI like magic dust, but I don't see how that logic applies to VR. Can you give an example what you mean and why you dislike VR as a term?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

I definitely get people throwing around AI like magic dust

Yeah also in science "machine learning" gets thrown around way too much as some magic wand you just wave and your problem is solved.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | Storage: 250 GB Crucial BX100 SSD + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 1TB WD Green + 3TB WD Red | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

I haven't seen any evidence of VR dying out, more like it's growing tremendously. I definitely get people throwing around AI like magic dust, but I don't see how that logic applies to VR. Can you give an example what you mean and why you dislike VR as a term?

VR is basically dead at this point. Like 2 years everyone was raving about it, everyone streaming and showing setups. Now, no one even cares apart from those 50 people who can't shut up about it.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3733MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES Edition | Altec Lansing MX5021 Nichicon/MUSES Edition

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

VR is basically dead at this point. Like 2 years everyone was raving about it, everyone streaming and showing setups. Now, no one even cares apart from those 50 people who can't shut up about it.

would not say dead, but yes. it has died down a lot since the beginning.

still some cool stuff, but got ways to go and the price will just increase by demanded features and hardware.

from cables to no cables to better rendering and performance, easier tools to create VR titles and if VR could be integrated with AR and physical actions in the future. *goes at work while wearing VR headset or goggles to make work more fun*

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

VR is basically dead at this point. Like 2 years everyone was raving about it, everyone streaming and showing setups. Now, no one even cares apart from those 50 people who can't shut up about it.

I'm gonna have to agree to disagree here, I haven't seen it dying out from my perspective. It seems to be getting cheaper and more popular. Parents are getting kids a quest instead of a console, seen that personally in my family even. And my family is NOT tech savvy at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have a hated tech term. 

Be sure to @Pickles - Lord of the Jar if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD | 4TB HDD 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

Parents are getting kids a quest instead of a console, seen that personally in my family even

man, ophtalmologists will be swimming in cash in a couple of years lol

 Finitude is what the two clock hands indicate as they point towards my cruel destiny. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Caroline said:

man, ophtalmologists will be swimming in cash in a couple of years lol

Like phones weren’t already doing that.  This is probably the most literate generation the world has ever seen. 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

I'm gonna have to agree to disagree here, I haven't seen it dying out from my perspective. It seems to be getting cheaper and more popular. Parents are getting kids a quest instead of a console, seen that personally in my family even. And my family is NOT tech savvy at all. 

VR seems to come in waves every time a new major advance happens.  We seem to be between ground breaking advances.  Someone will figure out something with camera finger or other body movement technology or something though and I suspect it will take off again.  They’ve got the vision thing mostly down more or less.  It’s not rock solid but it doesn’t give you a headache after 5 minutes if it’s set up right anymore.  Controls still suck though. Some sort of cuffed glove with cameras on it that can track finger movements accurately or something. Battery tech also needs to advance.  Wireless is still clunky. If they get it to where a dude in Djabhouti can drive a bus in Delaware though it won’t matter whether autonomous cars get there or not. 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Like phones weren’t already doing that.  This is probably the most literate generation the world has ever seen. 

Yeah maybe don't give kids phones. I didn't had one until I was legally able to drink, drive and vote, and -thankfully- it's not even smart, my mom got it for me working hard so I keep it, not like I can replace it anymore.

 

I won't be having any kids tho, last thing I want in my life is a tiny brat testing my patience :old-laugh:

every time my small cousins come they kinda don't even know what to do without phones since I have them turn them off and lock them at a box outside, if you enter this house and come visit my family or me it's to talk about life or whatever not to be staring at a phone, that's disrespectful af in my eyes.

Got stuck in the 1900's I guess, and I wasn't even alive back then. Unless I was a vampire of course, which I'm not.

 Finitude is what the two clock hands indicate as they point towards my cruel destiny. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

I'm gonna have to agree to disagree here, I haven't seen it dying out from my perspective. It seems to be getting cheaper and more popular. Parents are getting kids a quest instead of a console, seen that personally in my family even. And my family is NOT tech savvy at all. 

And it's a stupid investment, it's why it's cheaper. You can play what, few rather rubbish VR games of which Alyx is the only highlight. With console they could play every game that gets released.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3733MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES Edition | Altec Lansing MX5021 Nichicon/MUSES Edition

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Caroline said:

Yeah maybe don't give kids phones. I didn't had one until I was legally able to drink, drive and vote, and -thankfully- it's not even smart, my mom got it for me working hard so I keep it, not like I can replace it anymore.

 

I won't be having any kids tho, last thing I want in my life is a tiny brat testing my patience :old-laugh:

every time my small cousins come they kinda don't even know what to do without phones since I have them turn them off and lock them at a box outside, if you enter this house and come visit my family or me it's to talk about life or whatever not to be staring at a phone, that's disrespectful af in my eyes.

Got stuck in the 1900's I guess, and I wasn't even alive back then. Unless I was a vampire of course, which I'm not.

Your view of that will change.  Probably too late. Neither me or my siblings had kids but my step siblings did.  People are wired to have kids.  I saw how it literally changed the lives of my step siblings.  For the better.  My understanding is if your kids annoy you you save it all up and unleash it on them when they have kids by spoiling your grandchildren.   Becomes a thousand year vicious cycle of course. But who cares? You’re dead. Of course considering the state of the world I’m not sure I’d wish that on a child.  I can’t watch apocalypse movies anymore.  They’re too much like the news.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2021 at 3:28 PM, overthe6r said:

 

Ah man some of those are begging for a photoshopping but I'd get banned within seconds lol

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of tech buzzwords, but also "interpolation". Lots of arrogant "devops" use this one everywhere, as soon as a substitution is involved.

Quote

My awesome script is interpolating all the scalars with their corresponding input. And it does so in double exponential time!

How dumb must one be to confuse substitution (the act of replacing a known information with another, known to be related, known information) with interpolation (the act of creating new information based on the analysis of the current data, and the subsequent deduction of the correct interpolation method).

 

To anyone even slightly scientifically educated, this makes "computer scientists" look like proper morons... 😐

Isn't windows three-sixty-five just a more recent version of windows three-eleven?

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, RejZoR said:

And it's a stupid investment, it's why it's cheaper. You can play what, few rather rubbish VR games of which Alyx is the only highlight. With console they could play every game that gets released.


    The global AR and VR market is expected to grow to $209.2 billion by 2022.
    Global VR video gaming revenues reached $22.9B in 2020.
    There are more than 171M VR users worldwide.
    78% of Americans are familiar with VR technology now.
    The consumer VR market worldwide is set to reach $2.6 billion by the end of 2020.
    Demand for standalone VR devices will grow over 16 times between 2018 and 2022.
    70% of VR headset-owning consumers have bought a game on it.
    14 million AR and VR devices were sold in 2019.

https://techjury.net/blog/virtual-reality-statistics/#gref
 

I hope to one day form an industry that constitutes such a stupid investment as a 23 billion dollar market with 78% household recognition managing to double in demand 4 times over a period of 4 years, oh how I hope.
As for your "few rather rubbish VR games" I implore you to actually research before making such ridiculous claims. Funny enough Alyx, while a good game, is not even what I would consider a highlight as it's so expensive as to be unattractive to the many of the 171 MILLION people who made such a stupid investment and are not keen to spend another $60 just to play a good game. Rather the hundreds of millions enjoying such a stupid investment have a wide variety of games at many price scales from free to less than ten to AA titles like Alyx. Meanwhile those who think a console is the only source of games are almost always stuck with these specialized PC's that dies in 2-3 years instead of lasting 10, and they still have to spend bare minimum $20 for a somewhat decent game, and a normal price of 40-60 for any GOOD games, many of which are limited to the action and sport genres. While you may enjoy calling a bunch of games you didn't even know existed rubbish, I have 74 VR titles in my steam collection, of which I have played 74 of them. I have also spend very little money for these 74 titles and have thoroughly enjoyed them. But if you talk to many with steam accounts, you'll hear tale of dozens or even hundreds of unplayed free games, bundled games, humble titles, impulse sale purchases. My steam account is much the same, but I've played every VR title I have and enjoyed them all.
Why? What makes the difference? Simply put, VR is the difference. There are a few free VR titles in that 74 title list that were created as fancy as their price tag. But they were enjoyable because VR is an experience unlike any other. Even when the game was poorly done or outright bad, as freebies can tend to be, I still enjoyed seeing the created world, or feeling the sense of picking up something that wasn't even there. And I enjoyed being able to see things I wouldn't normally see. Looking at a nice high refresh rate monitor is great, but popping in VR and floating in the vast expanse of space is just something else entirely. You may have some deep seated hatred of the idea of VR for some reason, maybe an eye dr in the family or something. And we can spend all day talking about the drawbacks and dangers of society and it's overwhelming use of tech for every part of our lives. You could potentially make many real arguments against VR and many parts of technology as a whole, but if you're going to make your argument against VR on the 2 points that are actually very factual and not wholly subjective, then I implore you to research first. VR is an amazing investment with MANY MANY great games. I own Alyx and it has one of the lowest times played of all my library because while amazing, shooting isn't really my preferred genre. VR is actually an amazing investment outside of just gaming as well. VR has practical applications currently being used in education, psychology, medicine, architecture, product design and many more fields. Also it succeeds at increasing activity where earlier ideas like the Wii failed. You can't fake swinging a golf club sitting in a chair when the game is tracking your position. This has a tremendous potential to help with the obesity issue, and I have used VR to lose weight because I can finally enjoy exercise. You could have made any number of subjective arguments against VR, but instead you made a point to argue raw facts that were provably against you. If you don't like VR for some reason, whatever. But trying to discourage other people by calling it stupid and having just a few rubbish games, that's just provably wrong, and there's no reason to try to discourage people like this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Your view of that will change.  Probably too late. Neither me or my siblings had kids but my step siblings did.  People are wired to have kids.  I saw how it literally changed the lives of my step siblings.  For the better.  My understanding is if your kids annoy you you save it all up and unleash it on them when they have kids by spoiling your grandchildren.   Becomes a thousand year vicious cycle of course. But who cares? You’re dead. Of course considering the state of the world I’m not sure I’d wish that on a child.  I can’t watch apocalypse movies anymore.  They’re too much like the news.

no no no you've got it all wrong, spoiling the grandchildren is how we keep them happy so we can tolerate babysitting when we're too old to ACTUALLY watch the kids. The vicious cycle is the years and years of embarrassing photos and stories we can unleash at a moment's notice when a potential boyfriend or girlfriend comes around, or when we just decide to get back at them for years of diaper duty

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jtalk4456 said:


    The global AR and VR market is expected to grow to $209.2 billion by 2022.
    Global VR video gaming revenues reached $22.9B in 2020.
    There are more than 171M VR users worldwide.
    78% of Americans are familiar with VR technology now.
    The consumer VR market worldwide is set to reach $2.6 billion by the end of 2020.
    Demand for standalone VR devices will grow over 16 times between 2018 and 2022.
    70% of VR headset-owning consumers have bought a game on it.
    14 million AR and VR devices were sold in 2019.

https://techjury.net/blog/virtual-reality-statistics/#gref
 

I hope to one day form an industry that constitutes such a stupid investment as a 23 billion dollar market with 78% household recognition managing to double in demand 4 times over a period of 4 years, oh how I hope.
As for your "few rather rubbish VR games" I implore you to actually research before making such ridiculous claims. Funny enough Alyx, while a good game, is not even what I would consider a highlight as it's so expensive as to be unattractive to the many of the 171 MILLION people who made such a stupid investment and are not keen to spend another $60 just to play a good game. Rather the hundreds of millions enjoying such a stupid investment have a wide variety of games at many price scales from free to less than ten to AA titles like Alyx. Meanwhile those who think a console is the only source of games are almost always stuck with these specialized PC's that dies in 2-3 years instead of lasting 10, and they still have to spend bare minimum $20 for a somewhat decent game, and a normal price of 40-60 for any GOOD games, many of which are limited to the action and sport genres. While you may enjoy calling a bunch of games you didn't even know existed rubbish, I have 74 VR titles in my steam collection, of which I have played 74 of them. I have also spend very little money for these 74 titles and have thoroughly enjoyed them. But if you talk to many with steam accounts, you'll hear tale of dozens or even hundreds of unplayed free games, bundled games, humble titles, impulse sale purchases. My steam account is much the same, but I've played every VR title I have and enjoyed them all.
Why? What makes the difference? Simply put, VR is the difference. There are a few free VR titles in that 74 title list that were created as fancy as their price tag. But they were enjoyable because VR is an experience unlike any other. Even when the game was poorly done or outright bad, as freebies can tend to be, I still enjoyed seeing the created world, or feeling the sense of picking up something that wasn't even there. And I enjoyed being able to see things I wouldn't normally see. Looking at a nice high refresh rate monitor is great, but popping in VR and floating in the vast expanse of space is just something else entirely. You may have some deep seated hatred of the idea of VR for some reason, maybe an eye dr in the family or something. And we can spend all day talking about the drawbacks and dangers of society and it's overwhelming use of tech for every part of our lives. You could potentially make many real arguments against VR and many parts of technology as a whole, but if you're going to make your argument against VR on the 2 points that are actually very factual and not wholly subjective, then I implore you to research first. VR is an amazing investment with MANY MANY great games. I own Alyx and it has one of the lowest times played of all my library because while amazing, shooting isn't really my preferred genre. VR is actually an amazing investment outside of just gaming as well. VR has practical applications currently being used in education, psychology, medicine, architecture, product design and many more fields. Also it succeeds at increasing activity where earlier ideas like the Wii failed. You can't fake swinging a golf club sitting in a chair when the game is tracking your position. This has a tremendous potential to help with the obesity issue, and I have used VR to lose weight because I can finally enjoy exercise. You could have made any number of subjective arguments against VR, but instead you made a point to argue raw facts that were provably against you. If you don't like VR for some reason, whatever. But trying to discourage other people by calling it stupid and having just a few rubbish games, that's just provably wrong, and there's no reason to try to discourage people like this.

You do?  Like the wondertwins? “Shape of; an industry!”  

70% of owners? Means 30% have never bought a game for the thing.  Seems high.  Who buys such a thing and never turns it on?  I dunno.  Maybe they often come with games like retro consoles or people are using them for business telepresence or something.  That could actually be another huge thing for VR if it ever gets easy.  There was a novel long ago called “snow crash” which mostly takes place in VR. Part of the premise was there was this company that got fantastically wealthy because they figured out how to make business telepresence function well for VR.  There are a lot of people who have felt for a very long time that VR would absolutely crush. The issue is timing. Much like stock shorting you can’t just call whether a company will tank, you have to call WHEN it will tank. Much harder. 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

no no no you've got it all wrong, spoiling the grandchildren is how we keep them happy so we can tolerate babysitting when we're too old to ACTUALLY watch the kids. The vicious cycle is the years and years of embarrassing photos and stories we can unleash at a moment's notice when a potential boyfriend or girlfriend comes around, or when we just decide to get back at them for years of diaper duty

Hmm.. there is that too.  Diaper duty would be another vicious cycle as well..

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I f*cking hate the term "GAMER"

yes , i play games

no i dont like the term gamer being used in everything these days ,

for example i went to buy a phone for my dad a few weeks ago and gave him a suggestion, my dad goes oh, it has a gaming cpu in it well thats no good because he doesnt play games on it.

 

I just find the term gamer to be cringe nowadays thats all

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2021 at 12:04 AM, Bombastinator said:

people are using them for business telepresence or something.  That could actually be another huge thing for VR if it ever gets easy.  

this is already a thing btw. it's slow to adoption since businesses tend to move slow for upgrading tech, but it is a thing already

 

On 7/26/2021 at 12:04 AM, Bombastinator said:

70% of owners? Means 30% have never bought a game for the thing.  Seems high.  Who buys such a thing and never turns it on?

think about any counter top kitchen appliance. bought and stuffed in a cabinet for all eternity. I'd guess most of the 30% has a bundled game though

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

this is already a thing btw. it's slow to adoption since businesses tend to move slow for upgrading tech, but it is a thing already

 

think about any counter top kitchen appliance. bought and stuffed in a cabinet for all eternity. I'd guess most of the 30% has a bundled game though

Not huge though.  I think it could be huge.  Like damaging the airline industry because people stop doing in person salesmanship a company that doesn’t have equipment can’t do business huge. 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Not huge though.  I think it could be huge.  Like damaging the airline industry because people stop doing in person salesmanship a company that doesn’t have equipment can’t do business huge. 

agreed. Over time it will be huge, but businesses take forever for these kinds of changes

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×