my 3070 FE fan speeds are to loud.

Avinash05

Hello I recently bought a pc from Build Redux and the 1st graphics card  was dead on arrival so they sent me a Founder Edition one. At the tech place it was running apex fine on a out dated monitor . When running apex or Valheim on a 144hz  1920x 1280 the fans go sky high as soon as they run. Which makes it so loud u can hear it from 5 feet away. The other thing im trying to understand is it runs Forza Horizon , League of Legends  fine? So for some reason the Valheim and apex is being to demanding?

My Specs
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz   3.79 GHz
Installed RAM    32.0 GB (31.9 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Graphic Card 3070 FE
Mother board is a Asus 490
Case  COOLER MASTER TD500 RGB
Fans: CM MasterLiquid ML240L + MasterFans + 4 R4-120R-20PC-R1 case fans

Thank you for reading.

21 minutes ago, Avinash05 said:

Hello I recently bought a pc from Build Redux and the 1st graphics card  was dead on arrival so they sent me a Founder Edition one. At the tech place it was running apex fine on a out dated monitor . When running apex or Valheim on a 144hz  1920x 1280 the fans go sky high as soon as they run. Which makes it so loud u can hear it from 5 feet away. The other thing im trying to understand is it runs Forza Horizon , League of Legends  fine? So for some reason the Valheim and apex is being to demanding?

My Specs
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz   3.79 GHz
Installed RAM    32.0 GB (31.9 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Graphic Card 3070 FE
Mother board is a Asus 490
Case  COOLER MASTER TD500 RGB
Fans: CM MasterLiquid ML240L + MasterFans + 4 R4-120R-20PC-R1 case fans

Thank you for reading.

Nothing wrong with your pc. 

Use afterburner to change fan curve.  

• CPU
    9900KS @ 5.0 avx offset 0/ cache 4.7/ @1.33v
  • Motherboard
    asus strix ROG z390-i
  • RAM
    8gb x2 G.skill ddr 4 3600 (OCed to 4000 17-19-19-39 @1.4v)
  • GPU
    Asus Strix OC RTX 3080 10GB  
  • Case
    Corsair 280x Crystal
  • Storage
    1tb Samsung SSD + 2x (512gb Samsung) SSD
  • PSU
    Seasonic GM 650 650Watt Gold (semi-modular)
  • Display(s)
    LG34gk950g
  • Cooling
    H115i platinum/ 2x NF-A14 (GPU intake)/ 2xNFA14 (H115i radiator exhaust fan) 2x Corsair ML PRO 140(front intake) / 1x NF-A8 (exhaust)/ 2 x Corsair LL 120 (GPU deshroud fans)
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K70 LUX MX RED/ Microsoft Designer Keyboard Bluetooth
  • Mouse
    Corsair Harpoon RGB
  • Sound
    Audioengine A2+/ Audioengine d1 dac/ B&O h6

It's just an agressive stock fan curve. You can use software like msi afterburner (which works on all gpus not just msi) and change the stock fan curve. 

And ofc lol does that have the high fan speeds, it runs at 4k 360hz on a gpu from 30 years ago. (I'm joking..... Mostly)

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

42 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

It's just an agressive stock fan curve. You can use software like msi afterburner (which works on all gpus not just msi) and change the stock fan curve. 

And ofc lol does that have the high fan speeds, it runs at 4k 360hz on a gpu from 30 years ago. (I'm joking..... Mostly)

The problem i'm having there is the download link is broken. even when i do the page source and find http://download.msi.com/uti_exe/vga/MSIAfterburnerSetup463Beta2.zip it still wont work.

Also when I do find a working link should i just do auto fan curve or set it to where 40-60 when it isn't as loud?

Tbh if the fans are particularly loud you maybe can improve noise a little bit but generally youll probably want to watch its not overheating either . im a bit baffled tho, i thought FE isnt particularly loud, they do run a bit hotter than good aftermarket GPUs however. 

ab_voltagecurve3070_ctwjkj.thumb.jpg.6e640af1f858dde8b353faf4c96a86d9.jpg

im not sure if that helps but thats my fan curve, its pretty aggressive, but generally not too loud, the fans only really  get loud at 90% or so, usually they run between 70 and 75 but it doesnt  bother me, the other fans in my case are about as loud and usually my game is louder. 🙂

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Tbh if the fans are particularly loud you maybe can improve noise a little bit but generally youll probably want to watch its not overheating either . im a bit baffled tho, i thought FE isnt particularly loud, they do run a bit hotter than good aftermarket GPUs however. 

ab_voltagecurve3070_ctwjkj.thumb.jpg.6e640af1f858dde8b353faf4c96a86d9.jpg

im not sure if that helps but thats my fan curve, its pretty aggressive, but generally not too loud, the fans only really  get loud at 90% or so, usually they run between 70 and 75 but it doesnt  bother me, the other fans in my case are about as loud and usually my game is louder. 🙂

Thank you  for all of this info. Sadly as of this moment the msi afterburner download is not working for me. Also not working for alot of people. I tried the Copy paste url and it says cannot be found =/

3 minutes ago, Avinash05 said:

Thank you  for all of this info. Sadly as of this moment the msi afterburner download is not working for me. Also not working for alot of people. I tried the Copy paste url and it says cannot be found =/

no problem. well msi site is generally not very reliable.

download here, its from the guys who make it, msi is just the sponsor lol

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/msi-afterburner-beta-download.html

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Alright, and also check my pic carefully, this isnt super straight forward if you've never used afterbuner...  You make a custom fancurve, and then make sure its set to "auto" but the little cogwheel has to light up also as thats your custom fancurve, if its only on "auto" its simply using the cards default fancurve.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Okay I did the auto it took a while and failed a few times but finally got done. Sadly even with that its still being ubber loud. Here is a screenshot of some stats in game. The fan speeds are at 1785 not sure if thats good or not. Also noticed as soon as my fan speeds go over 1100 i hear that ramp up sound.image.thumb.png.38327ef58bdf73eebf9f8d79d76163c4.png.

4 hours ago, Avinash05 said:

Okay I did the auto it took a while and failed a few times but finally got done. Sadly even with that its still being ubber loud. Here is a screenshot of some stats in game. The fan speeds are at 1785 not sure if thats good or not. Also noticed as soon as my fan speeds go over 1100 i hear that ramp up sound.

You fan curve is too aggressive. At least for me, I limit my fans to 50%. This will make the GPU run hotter and the GPU boost will downclock your GPU core clock. So the trade off is silence for speed. One way you can mitigate this is through undervolting using MSI afterburner. Undervolt your GPU and this could reduce your temps by ~7C if done well. If it is improperly done, your games will crash and have microstutters.

• CPU
    9900KS @ 5.0 avx offset 0/ cache 4.7/ @1.33v
  • Motherboard
    asus strix ROG z390-i
  • RAM
    8gb x2 G.skill ddr 4 3600 (OCed to 4000 17-19-19-39 @1.4v)
  • GPU
    Asus Strix OC RTX 3080 10GB  
  • Case
    Corsair 280x Crystal
  • Storage
    1tb Samsung SSD + 2x (512gb Samsung) SSD
  • PSU
    Seasonic GM 650 650Watt Gold (semi-modular)
  • Display(s)
    LG34gk950g
  • Cooling
    H115i platinum/ 2x NF-A14 (GPU intake)/ 2xNFA14 (H115i radiator exhaust fan) 2x Corsair ML PRO 140(front intake) / 1x NF-A8 (exhaust)/ 2 x Corsair LL 120 (GPU deshroud fans)
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K70 LUX MX RED/ Microsoft Designer Keyboard Bluetooth
  • Mouse
    Corsair Harpoon RGB
  • Sound
    Audioengine A2+/ Audioengine d1 dac/ B&O h6

Yeah the only thing you can do is find a fan speed that doesnt bother you...  for me 1500 or so i dont even hear , at 60% im often not even sure the fans are spinning...  70% is fine... it only really gets annoyingly loud around 90% as said (which is around 2500rpm iirc)

2 hours ago, OCNewbee said:

One way you can mitigate this is through undervolting using MSI afterburner. Undervolt your GPU and this could reduce your temps

True, that helps also , as you can see im also undervolting of course, lower temps, higher boost clocks *for free*!  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Ok so this must confirm something is wrong with this 3070. The reason why i say that is if I'm  going over even 50 i can hear it pretty bad. If i go to 70 it starts sounding like a blow dryer. If i go to a 90 it sounds like a damn airplane ready for take off. I know my 1660 super never sounded this loud even with heavy louds. So the only thing i can do is keep it at 30 or 40 which being new to this that sounds un healthy. I Do agree that the under voltage  could work but i shouldn't have to do anything with a bran new graphic card out of the box you would think. According to youtube videos this 3070 should be as quiet or more quiet then my old 1660 super. That 1660 super never acts this loud even if its at 90 percent fans. So pretty much my 1660 super sounds as quiet as my new one on 40%

*Update* Even after making it at 30 as soon as i load a game it goes way above it and sounds horrible. Something with the fans can't be correct.  cause this is what im getting at 30% Both fans are barely over a 1000 and there loud as hell. Im wondering if its the fans being faulty. Or something the gpu telling them to work to hard?image.thumb.png.71e9db4ce49adc67801bb555d5a7729e.png

OpenHardwareMonitor.Report2.txt