I Should NOT Quit My Day Job

Plouffe

Recreating Linus digitally is hard, but with the help of the MetaHuman Creator tool from Epic you can do it too! It just might take a little longer than 20 minutes though...

video did not embed

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

I remember when palate swapped crowd characters were pretty revolutionary, particularly when GTA (3 I think, or Vice City) and Jak 2 were a thing. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I gotta say, the Linus I made in Bannerlord last year would definitely be on par with the competition 😅

20200411155827_1.thumb.jpg.72bac6194461217916332a6a1946e7be.jpg

3 hours ago, Plouffe said:

Recreating Linus digitally is hard, but with the help of the MetaHuman Creator tool from Epic you can do it too! It just might take a little longer than 20 minutes though...

I agree with Yvonne the one Linus created looks a lot like James.

Taran looking all Beethoven-like nowadays, I think this is like the third video in the past few weeks where he just looks like a bomb went off on his head, lol.

10 hours ago, ElB said:

Here's my 20-minute attempt.

1546002609_20MinuteLinus.thumb.png.eba46b554ab9cb2c09bb487a991761df.png

more wrinkles plz, btw it looks really good!
i am trying to get into drawing and 3d rendering what software is your favourite?

If Linus had said, "You can have your very own waifu for unprotected hand holding," he would have won the internet forever imho. Better luck next time!

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

2 hours ago, Orian Pax said:

more wrinkles plz, btw it looks really good!
i am trying to get into drawing and 3d rendering what software is your favourite?

Depends what I'm doing, but for basic character modelling like this I use Daz3D to get an approximation of what I want, then export to Blender for sculpting (I used to use ZBrush, but the sculpt tool in Blender is now good enough to more or less replace it), and Substance Painter for texturing - where it goes next depends on what I want to do with it; for a static render like this Daz manages pretty well (if you have an Nvidia card, at least, as it uses iRay as its renderer). Daz3D and Blender are free* and sharing models between them is (mostly) easy, although materials can be a bit awkward. For reference my Linus was done entirely in Daz but I have a lot of addons, and even then it really needs some manual sculpting which would have pushed me way beyond the 20 minutes.

(As an aside, I have tried Adobe Medium but sadly I turned out to be one of those "VR makes me sick pretty much instantly" people which is a shame because during the brief period I managed to keep my lunch down it was pretty cool.)

* Daz is more "freemium" than actually free; the software costs nothing, and you get a couple of basic character models and a few customisation options, but if you want anything more than that you need to head to the store.

I want a vTuber version of the WAN show.

Side note: we are actually using something like this in our studio to be able to produce 3D game experience with enough quality, by a small-ish team. I'm the producer of the studio, and as such I'm ALWAYS looking for new tech like this, to make my team able to compete with bigger teams or to do small projects with smaller budgets but with the quality we like to achieve.

Workstation | AMD AM4 3950X (16C/32T) | Radeon RX 6800 XT GAMING X TRIO 16G | MSI MAG B550 | 4x32 GB DDR4 3200Mhz HyperX Fury | x2 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus | x4 2TB Western Digital Blue 3D NAND | x8 CoolerMaster SickFlow RGB Fans | CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240ML | Fractal Design Ion+ 860W Platinum | Cougar 550x Mesh

I will be honest here and say that Linus made the more realistic looking human to be fair.

Take bits from each of the two and a better overall result can likely be achieved.

But I will have to say one thing, Matthias did have 1 major advantage against Linus.
I am willing to bet that he glanced over at least once.... Or were the writer clever and asked Linus to stand there earlier so that they could get a shot from that perspective? (this would though be pointless since one can still move one's head around to get a better view and Linus does have to look around occasionally, not to mention likely react and flail around the room for the cameras, so...)
image.thumb.png.837b9bd9148905a69a384dbc014d8970.png
Not that it seemed to help much by the end regardless....

Though, character modeling isn't a trivial task, and a tool like this is likely to have its own slew of issues in practice, either due to licensing or just incompatibility in regards to rigging, though as long as one stays with the same engine compatibility should be more or less a non issue.

In regards to immersion, having more variation in the NPCs is a fairly valid point. Noticing actual patterns showing the lack of variation in the environment does take away from the experience. (I myself have played Skyrim enough to start recognizing the various building blocks making up the various caves/dungeons, and that does make the game a bit more boring. Other than the obviously exact same tower littered all over the world that actually isn't the exact same tower, there is a few different versions that looks stupendously similar...)

Meanwhile I have yet to find a tool to make a derg.... Being a furry has downsides.
But nothing a couple of "weeks" months in blender can't fix. ie making a model, not a tool for making them on the fly...

image.thumb.png.4e2fd0ad6e4c1b06ab1bc1f8647cabad.png

Though, obviously I still have tons more stuff to fix on this model, like giving it texture, teeth, and fix a ton of poly related issues, and improve the rigging...

In the end, it would be interesting to see Linus try out blender, though having used it myself for years I think that it would be little more than confused torture than actual progress. Blender is after all requiring a lot of dedication for one to learn all the basic tools and even get started. Though, at least the interface is less shortcut heavy these days.

Yvonne as savage as ever.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

They should put a challenge up to the Corridor Crew to see what those guys could do in 20 minutes...

Somehow it reminds me of the character creation process in Fallout 4. Neat.

On 5/9/2021 at 10:33 PM, Plouffe said:

another clickbait like always