Is there a way to estimate monitor power consumption from the spec alone?

e22big

I have been intrested in Aorus new 43 inch monitor but its power consumption is absurd like almost 300 watt on average as per spec sheet. That was a very sharp contrast to the ROG model with almost the same spec (and most likely using the same panel) but report only 50 watt usage. I wonder if this is accurate because Gigabyte seem to report an absurdely high power consumption figure for most of their monitor line (their 28 inch reproted a 100 watt power usage for example), other than asking them directly (which I plan to do) is there anyway to verify these figure? 

I suspect that they measure their power usage at the very max brightness while Asus probably reported their at 150 nits something, but knowing these people I doubt they would over rather than under report the usage of their monitor power.

You can work out the maximum, its called ohms law. You just need to know the volt and amp usage but as you've already said, the answer is it depends on how bright you run it at.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 hours ago, e22big said:

I wonder if this is accurate because Gigabyte seem to report an absurdely high power consumption figure for most of their monitor line (their 28 inch reproted a 100 watt power usage for example), other than asking them directly (which I plan to do) is there anyway to verify these figure?

They're probably including USB device charging power or something like that.

7 hours ago, Glenwing said:

They're probably including USB device charging power or something like that.

oh, I finally get a hand on their technical spec and they mentioned that it's actually 240 watt at max (which is not amazing but still better than 300 watt) so I guess it's likely they include USB charging 

Do you think this figure is even possible though? I know that it's HDR 1000 and all that but I have a hard time believing that a 43 inch LCD would be using more power than a 48 inch OLED or 55 TV, even one that can go 1000 nits doesn't use that much

That will be peak power usage.

As in trying to display full brightness HDR 100% white field.

Average usage will be much lower in all likelihood.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |