Does the thermal paste have anything to do with AMD cpus being stuck on cooler after cooler removal ??

hyrix7Q

Hey guys , i had that problem before where my cpu got stuck on the cooler after removal but i removed it without any damage , but since im using low quality thermal paste i want to ask if the low quality thermal paste can bethe cause ? or it's just a common issue in amd sockets ? 

And if it can be the cause how much should i stay with that low quality thermal paste so it wont cause it again ? 

Ryzen 5 2600x

Asus B450M-k prime 

Doesn't really have anything to do price of thermal paste, though the chemical properties of solder pastes vary.. there's more liquid pastes (ex silicon grease), there's more paste like pastes, there's liquid metal... 

Just use the computer for a few minutes before you try to remove the cooler.... Warm thermal paste breaks easier, so you can remove the cooler easier.

As it cools down, the thermal paste becomes more glue like, so it's harder to detach the heatsink from the cooler.

i don't think I've ever removed a heatsink without removing the CPU at the same time. I have been building AMD systems for the last 15 years and the dam thing always stays stuck but it has never caused an issue with ripping the processor out of the socket. I've heard getting it warm can help it not stick but I've done cinibench for like 15 min loops before removal and it didn't help anything with removal. 

For paste u use whatever i have lying around from EK to alphacool or some noname crap sitting in my cabinet same results when its time to pop off the cooler it gets stuck.

It seems the thicker pastes stick the cpu to the heat sink or water block more so than thinner pastes like the white ceramic stuff, which is generally garbage for heat transfer. 

For cooler removal, you turn or twist the heat sink or water block until the bond breaks. Then you won't rip the chip from the socket.

But if the cpu is stuck to the heatsink or waterblock, that's a good indicator of a good paste job. So that's at least an upside to it.

It’s an inherent attribute to PGA, it doesn’t happen with lga processors because the lid that latches over holds the processor down. There’s nothing holding a pga processor to the socket except the pins, and they slide out fairly easily 

You can avoid ripping a CPU out easily by twisting the heatsink first (preferably quite far, 40+ degrees), and then after that sliding it off to the side. Essentially what you do is apply force horizontally rather than vertically. 

I once ripped out a PGA cpu (an intel one from the olden times) and then even worse, I decided to put it back while still on the cooler...

I don't know why I did that, it's just one of those weird things I sometimes do when I'm not really thinking about what I'm doing. So I just put the cooler with the CPU back in place and clamped it down hard (the old amd-style cooler clamp-down thingy). Amazingly, after realising my mistake when it didn't POST, all the pins turned out to be intact!

-> Moved to Cooling

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv