Is 4800H RTX 2060 vs this desktop - need to know worth the upgrade

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
8 minutes ago, Diddlydennis said:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-laptops/lenovo-legion-5p-15-6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-rtx-2060-256-gb-ssd-10205989-pdt.html

This one, upgrade to 16GB already. I can send it back since I'm within the return period. Not sure if its worth upgrading as I do have to add a chunk of change. Where did you get the statistic of 25% faster as that does sound not a great bump

Review of the 3060, 3060 mobile and it's predecessors. Pretty much if you have a good 2060 (which the lenovo has) it's not that much better.

OK I can return my Legion 5P which has the following specs

• AMD Ryzen 7 4800H Processor
  • RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 256 GB SSD
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB
  • 208 FPS when playing Fortnite at 1080p
  • Full HD screen / 144 Hz

Thinking of getting this 

https://www.awd-it.co.uk/awd-td500-white-drgb-ryzen-5-5600x-6-core-4.6ghz-nvidia-rtx-3060-12gb-desktop-pc-for-gaming.html

If I get the desktop I have to add a further 300 from the refund of the laptop as I got it for 650, however, is the difference massive as 300 on top is still a lot of cheddar. I be using it for 3D modelling,

Your laptops cpu will still be better. The 3060 even tho it is a desktop version will only be like 25% faster. So really not a great upgrade.

What laptop is it? As in whats the model?

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Your laptops cpu will still be better. The 3060 even tho it is a desktop version will only be like 25% faster. So really not a great upgrade.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-laptops/lenovo-legion-5p-15-6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-rtx-2060-256-gb-ssd-10205989-pdt.html

This one, upgrade to 16GB already. I can send it back since I'm within the return period. Not sure if its worth upgrading as I do have to add a chunk of change. Where did you get the statistic of 25% faster as that does sound not a great bump

8 minutes ago, Diddlydennis said:

Review of the 3060, 3060 mobile and it's predecessors. Pretty much if you have a good 2060 (which the lenovo has) it's not that much better.

One big question here is that. Do you have everything else for the desktop? Monitor, keyboard, mouse,...? If so and you really don't need a laptop I would actually advise you to go desktop as you can then upgrade. The desktop won't be much better BUT it will for sure outlive the laptop by a long shot.

19 minutes ago, jaslion said:

One big question here is that. Do you have everything else for the desktop? Monitor, keyboard, mouse,...? If so and you really don't need a laptop I would actually advise you to go desktop as you can then upgrade. The desktop won't be much better BUT it will for sure outlive the laptop by a long shot.

I have the laptop closed with my keyboard  and monitor connected to it. I had a desktop before but sold it for the Legion and while I do like the idea of a desktop the additional £300 on top has me doubtful on buying it, as the performance boost isn't what I was expecting. Plus my laptop has 3 year warranty on top, and I probably sell it before then

41 minutes ago, jaslion said:

More like 33% faster, regardless,  that's not a negligible amount of performance. That's more than the difference of going from a 3060 to a 3070. And the CPU in the laptop isn't better. In cinebench r20 multicore, the 4800h does 4194 while the 5600x does 4462, not to even mention single core. And if he wants to use the laptop for gaming the 5600X will be much faster for that regardless since games aren't well optimized for 8 core cpu's anyway.

5 minutes ago, Diddlydennis said:

I have the laptop closed with my keyboard  and monitor connected to it. I had a desktop before but sold it for the Legion and while I do like the idea of a desktop the additional £300 on top has me doubtful on buying it, as the performance boost isn't what I was expecting. Plus my laptop has 3 year warranty on top, and I probably sell it before then

Having the lid closed on a laptop impacts cooling on most by a fair bit as a lot also take in air from the top a bit. Since you are literally using the laptop like a desktop I highly advise you to indeed get the desktop here as you will be far better off with it in the long run.

3 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

More like 33% faster, regardless,  that's not a negligible amount of performance. That's more than the difference of going from a 3060 to a 3070. And the CPU in the laptop isn't better. In cinebench r20 multicore, the 4800h does 4194 while the 5600x does 4462, not to even mention single core. And if he wants to use the laptop for gaming the 5600X will be much faster for that regardless since games aren't well optimized for 8 core cpu's anyway.

I got different results when looking around which is to be expected due to well laptop cooling. But fair enough at worst it's the same for rendering.

49 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Still the results from cinebench isn't the massive leap for the price I have to pay on top to get the desktop.

45 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Having the lid closed on a laptop impacts cooling on most by a fair bit as a lot also take in air from the top a bit. Since you are literally using the laptop like a desktop I highly advise you to indeed get the desktop here as you will be far better off with it in the long run.

I got different results when looking around which is to be expected due to well laptop cooling. But fair enough at worst it's the same for rendering.

CHeers, I leave it open then. Its not that much of a deal as I do open it when I need to see references when I'm modelling.

2 minutes ago, Diddlydennis said:

CHeers, I leave it open then. Its not that much of a deal as I do open it when I need to see references when I'm modelling.

The one nice thing the 3060 has is it's much better ray tracing which does reallly accelerate rendering and viewport performance in supported applications. So whilst for games and raw power it is only 25-33% ahead for rendering it can from what I've found be as far as 60%-70% better.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The one nice thing the 3060 has is it's much better ray tracing which does reallly accelerate rendering and viewport performance in supported applications. So whilst for games and raw power it is only 25-33% ahead for rendering it can from what I've found be as far as 60%-70% better.

Cheers the difference between the two is £360, so not sure if its worth it as thats alot of cash still for me

10 minutes ago, Diddlydennis said:

Cheers the difference between the two is £360, so not sure if its worth it as thats alot of cash still for me

I would also look at the future a bit here too. As well that laptop is how it is now forever. Part from storage and ram. So in at most 5 years it will be replaced. The desktop is a mid ranger with plenty of upgrade options which is a nice bonus and to do the high amount of ryzen cpu's being bought I would not doubt on some nice used deals. Either way you pick I can only provide you with information to make a choice you are happy with.

16 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I would also look at the future a bit here too. As well that laptop is how it is now forever. Part from storage and ram. So in at most 5 years it will be replaced. The desktop is a mid ranger with plenty of upgrade options which is a nice bonus and to do the high amount of ryzen cpu's being bought I would not doubt on some nice used deals. Either way you pick I can only provide you with information to make a choice you are happy with.

I probably sell it before then, but thank you for you're help. I need to have a think.