Newb motherboard front panel connector question.

I picked up a used motherboard and I’m about to hook up the FPC cables. I have no manual and the board isn’t labeled. I know where each plug goes BUT, not sure which pin for each cable is + / -.  If they get hooked up backwards on any of them, is it going to cause any damage to the motherboard?  I looked online but couldn’t find any documentation on the board. It looks like a standard FPC and has all the separate connections color coded but, no marking indicating positive or negative. 

What is the model of the motherboard?

In most cases one of the pins on the motherboard is colored and the other one is white. (color being + and white -)

Same goes for the cables to the front panel. 1 is colored and the other one usually black (color being + and black -)

most motherboard front panel connectors follow this:
20201101_025538.png?width=481&height=401

1 minute ago, Dujith said:

In most cases one of the pins on the motherboard is colored and the other one is white. (color being + and white -)

Same goes for the cables to the front panel. 1 is colored and the other one usually black (color being + and black -)

It’s an intel board. Not sure on the model. It has a sticker with what I believe is the model number but it’s pretty much unreadable. The cables themselves are marked but there is no marks indicating the polarity of the pins on the board at all. Just the standard color coding to show where each cable plugs in. I know the power and reset won’t make a difference so I can still run the machine. I’m just not sure about the polarity of the LED’s. 

3 minutes ago, Dujith said:

The cables actually might not be colored often anymore BUT you can always tell because the + side is the one with the triangle on it 🙂

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, iCypticx said:

most motherboard front panel connectors follow this:
20201101_025538.png?width=481&height=401

This is what I was thinking as well. Every board I’ve ever used has been this way but, was marked in some way. I guess if it won’t do any damage, I’ll just try it and see how it goes. Lol. 

Can u take a picture of the connectors on the motherboard?

And what CPU went in it? Most Intel boards use the standard Frontpanel pins so should be easy to find

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

The cables actually might not be colored often anymore BUT you can always tell because the + side is the one with the triangle on it 🙂

Right. I know the polarity of the cables. Just wanted to make sure they went to the right place on the board. It’s a really weird board. If it blows up, I’m not out anything because it was free but, I’d rather not go that route. Lol

Can u take a picture of the connectors on the motherboard?

And what CPU went in it? Most Intel boards use the standard Frontpanel pins so should be easy to find

I actually just plugged everything in the way I normally would and everything seems to be working fine. So I guess potential disaster averted. 

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Where? looking at my own one and cant seem to see it?

Where? looking at my own one and cant seem to see it?

Mine all have a little arrow on the positive side. Most I’ve worked with have been the same. 

Just now, HesCalledTheStig said:

I actually just plugged everything in the way I normally would and everything seems to be working fine. So I guess potential disaster averted. 

You wont blow up a led that soon 😄 most can block 5v no problem.

Just now, Dujith said:

You wont blow up a led that soon 😄 most can block 5v no problem.

Wasnt worried about the led. I didn’t know if it would ruin the mobo.  But I guess if I had just thought about it, I should have realized the LED was the only thing that MIGHT have been damaged.