RTX 2080 Super - Low fps across the board!

Hello everyone,

I hope you are all having a great day unlike me...

I have bought my new rig in 2020 around September. and ever since I bought it . everything I got was below expectations across the board. I've tried to ignore it for a while but it keeps annoying me and I've been trying to fix this for a while now.

so my specs are:

AMD 7 3700X

Gigabyte x570 Gaming X Motherboard

Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 3x Windforce OC

32GB 2666 Mhz Corsair Vengeance 

XPG Gammix Pro 11 NVME 1TB 

Corsair 750W PSU Gold

I thought if I got this machine it would be the ultimate gaming machine for years to come. and I wouldn't have to worry about optimizing the performance and having a bottleneck anywhere. but to my surprise the performance increase from my last rig was not at all what I expected. I've tried playing many games to test out my FPS but to no avail.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare , Warzone , Black Ops Cold War. even older simpler games such as Valorant and League of Legends. I am not getting much fps and here is a key thing. 0 ! FPS increase when I lower the settings. when I lower my settings on any game it feels as though it had no effect. no change whatsoever and its killing me to know why. I've updated all my GPU drivers , APU , CPU , Bios and enabled XMP profile in Bios. I've tried configuring PCIE gen in bios to 3 or 4 and nothing worked. seems like my GPU and CPU are all low usage or sometimes higher than usual which is about 50-60% but still the fps and the fluctuation between FPS is very noticable. I wouldn't mind playing on all low settings if I had consistent high frames but I don't.

If you guys have any ideas please do share it with me. I am really tired and met a dead end. I've used up all my knowledge and cannot find a solution. 

Thank you in advance.

2666ram for ryzen isn't very fast but  I doubt that would cause this issue...

What fps are you aiming for?

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

the absence of an fps improvement when lowering the settings indicates a cpu bottleneck but with your configuration you shouldn't be having those kinds of problems

Sorry I haven't told you the fps I am getting.

Warzone : 100-120 max on any settings. Even if I set render to 4k and raytracing I still get the same fps which is very weird

Black ops : 100-120

Valorant hovers around 100-200

League same as valorant.

I am aiming for a consistent 150 in order for my 144hz monitor to work. when I get less than 144 frames my eyes rip themselves apart.

24 minutes ago, xBANE47 said:

am aiming for a consistent 150 in order for my 144hz monitor to work. when I get less than 144 frames my eyes rip themselves apart.

you dont have a gsync screen?

i can play most games just fine within a wide range of frames, Warzone 100-170 fps ,doesnt matter, feels mostly smooth.

I do prefer locked framerates however and something like 120fps is great on my 165hz monitor with gsync.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

you dont have a gsync screen?

i can play most games just fine within a wide range of frames, Warzone 100-170 fps ,doesnt matter, feels mostly smooth.

I do prefer locked framerates however and something like 120fps is great on my 165hz monitor with gsync.

I do have a gsync monitor but for the setup that I have it feels lower than it should be.. I see other videos with the same setup have way more fps than me...

4 hours ago, tkitch said:

Do you have a frame cap set in the games?

You don't say what framerate you're getting?

Sorry I haven't told you the fps I am getting.

Warzone : 100-120 max on any settings. Even if I set render to 4k and raytracing I still get the same fps which is very weird

Black ops : 100-120

Valorant hovers around 100-200

League same as valorant.

I am aiming for a consistent 150 in order for my 144hz monitor to work. when I get less than 144 frames my eyes rip themselves apart.

4 hours ago, ki8aras said:

the absence of an fps improvement when lowering the settings indicates a cpu bottleneck but with your configuration you shouldn't be having those kinds of problems

I hope its not a CPU bottle neck. I mean its usage is low so it shouldn't be a bottleneck . if it was it then the usage would be at like 99%

What are your ram specs?  How many sticks and in what slots are the sticks?

How are the temps while gaming?  

1 minute ago, Heliian said:

What are your ram specs?  How many sticks and in what slots are the sticks?

How are the temps while gaming?  

I have 2 sticks of 16 gig 2666 MHz Ram. they are corsair vengeance pro rgb

The temps are around 60-70 while gaming when I checked during my warzone game.

They are at slot 1 and 4 for dual channel.

8 minutes ago, Heliian said:

Try slot 2 and 4. 

Cheers. 

It was at 2 , 4 before this and same thing. I only changed them to 1 4 yesterday. ;/

2 minutes ago, Heliian said:

Alright, try 1 and 3 and maybe try just one stick at a time see what happens. 

Alright ill try it out and tell you . thanks.

So even 1 stick has same results or is there a drop in performance? 

Fresh windows install maybe? 

1 minute ago, Heliian said:

So even 1 stick has same results or is there a drop in performance? 

Fresh windows install maybe? 

same results lol. and I already reinstalled windows yesterday. IDK man I am styimed thats what I ended up here. I hoped others may have an answer to this very weird problem.

12 hours ago, xBANE47 said:

It was at 2 , 4 before this and same thing. I only changed them to 1 4 yesterday. ;/

dual channel usually works with the slots closer to the cpu socket, meaning 1-3 or 2-4 depending on how your slots are numbered 1-4 will not work in dual channel under any conditions