New Build - What do you guys think?

Hi All Just looking for some ideas and suggestions on a build.

Budget (including currency): €1200 approximately. Not very rigid on this and excluding GPU

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Use case 1: Gaming primarily games such as Flight simulator 2020 and car games (dirt rally, F1 and so on)

Use case 2: Work. I run a lot of virtualization (VMware Workstation) typically no more than 3  vm's simultaneous)

Other details

Currently i have from a previous old build and therefore will not purchase:

1) Case: Gigabyte 3D Aurora. I know it's an old one but it will do, has served me well and hopefully with an DVD slot adapter to give me USC type C i will be done.

2) PSU: Corsair TX750M - semi modular.

3) I have keyboards, mouse and monitors (will get something nicer in the future but this will do for now)

4) Also have a Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB.

The situation is my old PC was really old, dug it out of storage and still had a AMD Athlon 64 inside :). All older parts have cleared and the following is what i was planning on:

1) CPU: 5800X

2) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

3) Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro V2

4) RAM: Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16 4 x 8Gb Buying 2 kits to make up 4 modules

5) SSD: Gigabyte NVME SSD 2280 - 1TB for extra storage

6) 3 Case Fans: Noctua NF-A12x25 120mm PWM

7) Graphics card: We all now the story here. This will come in due time, for the moment i will get a sub €100 card just to get a display out so at least i can do work on it.

Current total: 1,219.30€

Thanks everyone.
Comments and suggestions are appreciated. 

MigCooper

Edited by Migcooper
Added total price for parts

Welcome to the forums!!!

4 minutes ago, Migcooper said:

5) SSD: Gigabyte NVME SSD 2280 - 1TB for extra storage

Never knew they got into the market of SSDs and be kinda leary of using one in terms of quality/reliability. Use your Samsung 970 EVO for the OS drive though. Nothing to really complain about here other than a graphics card, and as you said, need a graphics card for basic display output to use the system which is fine. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

11 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Welcome to the forums!!!

Never knew they got into the market of SSDs and be kinda leary of using one in terms of quality/reliability. Use your Samsung 970 EVO for the OS drive though. Nothing to really complain about here other than a graphics card, and as you said, need a graphics card for basic display output to use the system which is fine. 

Thanks, fair point on the SSD, there are a bunch of options on that price range, will have a look and probably change that.

The D15 is a beefy boy, and only supports 32mm of RAM clearance, with both fans installed. The sticks you chose are 38mm, so you'll either need to run it with only one fan or find low profile RAM. It might be worth considering the U12A, instead. It has nearly the same cooling performance, but near universal compatibility.

You might also consider going for a 5900X with your workload. Three VMs with only 8 cores is pretty tight.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

5 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

The D15 is a beefy boy, and only supports 32mm of RAM clearance, with both fans installed. The sticks you chose are 38mm, so you'll either need to run it with only one fan or find low profile RAM. It might be worth considering the U12A, instead. It has nearly the same cooling performance, but near universal compatibility.

Thanks for that, i had in my head that the fan over the RAM could be moved up slightly to compensate for the clearance 🔨, but then again this could defeat the purpose of the extra sized cooler.. 🤔

(UK PCP used because of stock probelms in ireland PCP)
Honestly, don't reuse your case. 

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

4 minutes ago, Downkey said:

(UK PCP used because of stock probelms in ireland PCP)
Honestly, don't reuse your case. 

I am using one of the German shops, Ireland prices and availability is ridiculous atm.

Any particular reason not to reuse the case?

Thanks 😉

30 minutes ago, Migcooper said:

Thanks for that, i had in my head that the fan over the RAM could be moved up slightly to compensate for the clearance 🔨, but then again this could defeat the purpose of the extra sized cooler.. 🤔

I forgot about that actually. The D15 does let you adjust the fan up slightly, and since you're only 6mm shy, that's probably enough, however then you need to consider your case side panel clearance. It's also a very tall cooler, and shifting the fan up just makes it taller.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

I Have 185mm from the side panel to the standoff with the screw in.

Cooler with fan is 165 + 6 for offset 171mm leaving 14mm for motherboard and CPU.... looking very tight for sure. 😬

I can always cut a hole in the case for the fan to stick out (Joking) 🤣

22 minutes ago, Migcooper said:

Any particular reason not to reuse the case?

The airflow looks pretty terrible. Also the psu is located at the top of the case, which is pretty rare these days. So the psu will more than likely run a bit hotter/louder as it will be exhausting the hot air from inside the case. A psu mounted at the bottom is usually positioned with the fan down, so it draws air from outside the case.

24 minutes ago, Migcooper said:

I Have 185mm from the side panel to the standoff with the screw in.

Cooler with fan is 165 + 6 for offset 171mm leaving 14mm for motherboard and CPU.... looking very tight for sure. 😬

I can always cut a hole in the case for the fan to stick out (Joking) 🤣

Well, like I said, give the U12A a look. You'll have a much easier time fitting that, and really the cooling performance is virtually the same as the D15. It was explicitly created as an alternative to the D15 for people that can't fit it.