Rode SmartLav+ and CaldigitTS3+

Hey guys, I just need a sanity check here.  

I purchased the smartlav+ from Rode, and have my M1 Macbook air hookedup to a caldigit TS3+ Thunderbolt dock .  There is an Audio input jack right under the headphone jack on the TS3+.

At all times (even with nothing plugged into it) the in System Preference > Sounds a "CalDigit Thuderbolt 3 Audio" is available as an input source.  When I plug in the SmartLav+, no input levels show.  

Did I get a dud on the rode?  Or is there some incompatibility I just don't know about?

Just as a check, does the mic work on another device, or on the macbook itself without the dock? I would've thought the dock would take the mac out of the question audio processing wise, but I guess maybe not. I guess technically it doesn't have to work as they advertise it as smartphone or table specific, but I've never encountered it myself before.

It turns out that the MacBook Pro 2015 audio port is not compatible with many microphones despite the TRRS audio jack.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised with Apple adapters and stuff being picky, but I'm still surprised.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB