Custom Mechanical keeb- Thoughts and suggestions?

Entropy.

(sorry mods if I should've put this in the mechkeys club)

Hullo, 

I've been looking to build my first keyboard for a while now, I've done a little research on components and I wanted to see if any of you guys had any thoughts about it, or if there's something you would change.

Preferences/stats first: 

Spoiler

- $750 USD budget, living in the US
- I Prefer smooth linear switches with a harder bottom-out that have a nice sound (very descriptive... yes), I prefer switches between ~45g-60g, with a travel of 4mm (or greater, even though I don't beileve that's possible on cherry-style switches)

-I'm going for a cleaner aesthetic, with fairly neutral colors. In this case, black as the main color (with accents in other colors) is what I'd prefer, but nothing is out of the question besides colors such as cyan, yellow, orange, etc for the case, switches, caps anything that's visible. I don't mind RGB but I'm not actively trying to go for it.

What I have lined up: 

Spoiler

-Everglide v3 aqua kings- 60g spec

-Krytox 205g0

-Glorious GMMK pro (Case/barebones keeb)

-Stock hotswap board w/ a replacement brass plate

-Durock v2 screw-in stabs

-Possible standoff removal and gasket upgrade, among others?

-Drop/GMK White-on-Black Katakana Custom Keycap set 

Please leave your thoughts below, if you have any questions please ask.

Thanks 🙂 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

Hey there.

1 hour ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

What I have lined up: 

-Everglide v3 aqua kings- 60g spec

-Krytox 205g0

-Glorious GMMK pro (Case/barebones keeb)

-Stock hotswap board w/ a replacement brass plate

-Durock v2 screw-in stabs

-Possible standoff removal and gasket upgrade, among others?

-Drop/GMK White-on-Black Katakana Custom Keycap set 

Build seems fine, in terms of compatibility. 👍 Some notes below, mostly observations, not firsthand experiences:

• Some batches of Everglide Aqua Kings reportedly have issues, according to one Reddit account. I'm uncertain whether this will apply to V3 batches. Something to keep in mind while shopping for options?
    • In the event the Aqua Kings aren't to your liking, or need a bit of modding to meet your expectations, perhaps consider setting a small portion of the budget aside for some switch films or alternative spring weights?
  • In terms of acoustics (theoretically), the brass plate will result in higher-pitched keystrokes/bottom outs, while the polycarbonate plate will result in lower-pitched and/or muted keystrokes. Uncertain which would fit your criteria of "nice sound." 😆
  • The Drop GMK White-on-Black Katakana keycaps are double-shot ABS. Legends will be opaque and will not light up with the GMMK Pro's RGB, and ABS has a tendency to develop "ABS Shine" with frequent finger contact. Shine development may be uneven across the keycaps.

Can't say for certain whether you'll be 100% satisfied with that keeb config -- how it feels and sounds, in particular -- but a large budget like that has a lot of leeway, especially when it comes to your choice of switches (i.e. if you don't like one type, try another 739755490220965941.gif?v=1). And if you wanna continue pimping out your setup, consider some custom cables to match/contrast with to your keeb? 😉

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

7 minutes ago, Eschew said:

Hey there.

Build seems fine, in terms of compatibility. 👍 Some notes below, mostly observations, not firsthand experiences:

• Some batches of Everglide Aqua Kings reportedly have issues, according to one Reddit account. I'm uncertain whether this will apply to V3 batches. Something to keep in mind while shopping for options?
    • In the event the Aqua Kings aren't to your liking, or need a bit of modding to meet your expectations, perhaps consider setting a small portion of the budget aside for some switch films or alternative spring weights?
  • In terms of acoustics (theoretically), the brass plate will result in higher-pitched keystrokes/bottom outs, while the polycarbonate plate will resulted in lower-pitched and/or muted keystrokes. Uncertain which would fit your criteria of "nice sound." 😆
  • The Drop GMK White-on-Black Katakana keycaps are double-shot ABS. Legends will be opaque and will not light up with the GMMK's RGB, and ABS has a tendency to develop "ABS Shine" with frequent finger contact. Shine development may be uneven across the keycaps.

Can't say for certain whether you'll be 100% satisfied with that keeb config -- how it feels and sounds, in particular -- but a large budget like that has a lot of leeway, especially when it comes to your choice of switches (i.e. if you don't like one type, try another 739755490220965941.gif?v=1). And if you wanna continue pimping out your setup, consider some custom cables to match/contrast with to your keeb? 😉

Thanks for the detailed feedback! 
For the switches, I don't exactly know what to expect, but as this keeb fits comfortably within my budget, I think that I can resolve any issues that may pop up. I do prefer a slightly harder bottom-out, and I don't mind a lower-pitched or higher-pitched switch, however, I do feel like the switch would sound better with a brass plate, and the brass would help with the bottom-out. 
For the ABS keycaps... lmao, $145. I didn't look at the specifics and just assumed that they were PBT, I guess I can see why they went ABS though, primarily for a sleeker aesthetic over the more textured plastic used in PBT keycaps? RGB isn't a concern, I don't mind the caps not having shine-through. Are there any caps that you've seen that you might recommend that have a similar theme? Might want to switch, but who knows.
Yeah, I've been thinking of adding a coiled cable and a wristwrest as well, just didn't mention them. The coiled cable would be aesthetically pleasing, but I do have a bit of a special situations where the keeb is actually in a roll-out drawer of sorts, right underneath my desktop, and I use it in a config where I see little to nothing behind the function keys. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

If you haven't tried those switches, get a switch tester; I think Drop has one that has 60 different switches on it for a pretty reasonable price. It's the only way to know if you'll like it. Paper research does virtually nothing.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 minutes ago, geo3 said:

With that budget you could get something better than a GMMK. Something like a KBD75 or BELLA and also use Zeal switches. 

I realize, and I thought about it a fair bit. I'm primarily thinking about the GMMK because I really enjoy it's aesthetic, and I plan for my build to be around $500-$600-ish (with some accessories, closer to $400-$500 or so without), but bumped the budget up to $750 just in case, I'd still prefer a slightly more budget build. I did seriously think about upgrading the case, but would you consider it worth it? Can you highlight some of the differences between cases?

6 minutes ago, dizmo said:

If you haven't tried those switches, get a switch tester; I think Drop has one that has 60 different switches on it for a pretty reasonable price. It's the only way to know if you'll like it. Paper research does virtually nothing.

I've tried a limited number of switches, not sure how much a switch tester will help. I know how some similar switches feel and I enjoy them. I can see the appeal behind a tester but I'm not exactly sure how beneficial it'll be to me to try out a lot of switches that I'm not really considering- and maybe a few that I am- on a switch tester with a different plate, different caps, no lube, ect. 

20 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

For the switches, I don't exactly know what to expect, but as this keeb fits comfortably within my budget, I think that I can resolve any issues that may pop up. I do prefer a slightly harder bottom-out, and I don't mind a lower-pitched or higher-pitched switch, however, I do feel like the switch would sound better with a brass plate, and the brass would help with the bottom-out.

Good man. One of the things I love (and hate) about custom keebs as a hobby is trying out and experimenting with new stuff, and examining how I like (or don't like) said stuff. There's waaay more satisfaction in experiencing something for yourself, rather than being told "this is how it is" and rolling with it. 😁👍

For the ABS keycaps... lmao, $145. I didn't look at the specifics and just assumed that they were PBT, I guess I can see why they went ABS though, primarily for a sleeker aesthetic over the more textured plastic used in PBT keycaps?

Ah, if a keycap set's got "GMK" in the title, it's usually safe to assume it's ABS and Cherry profile. For all its colorways and novelty keycaps, anything GMK still reminds me of cookie-cutters. 😁

RGB isn't a concern, I don't mind the caps not having shine-through. Are there any caps that you've seen that you might recommend that have a similar theme? Might want to switch, but who knows.

🤔

Off the top of my head, the Infinikey White on Black (WoB) Keycaps comes to mind (Hiragana, Katakana, Modifiers), but the Alpha keycap sets don't seem to be in stock, aaand I have a hard time recommending The Key Company. Their QC and customer support is... very not the best. 😅

TKC does sometimes release Extras, especially for previous Group Buy items, but who knows whether the WoB Keycaps will even have extras...

Could try r/mechmarket if you're desperate and super set on that set of keycaps, but I'd scour Amazon or other keeb stores for alternatives/similar designs before being compelled to fork over exorbitant sums because some scalper(?) thought it's a great idea to mark up the secondhand price, lol.

Yeah, I've been thinking of adding a coiled cable and a wristwrest as well, just didn't mention them. The coiled cable would be aesthetically pleasing, but I do have a bit of a special situations where the keeb is actually in a roll-out drawer of sorts, right underneath my desktop, and I use it in a config where I see little to nothing behind the function keys.

Ah, yeah, I could see how custom cables wouldn't be a sensible investment, then. 👍

Also, niiice, that's pretty slick. 775014736810475530.png?v=1

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

I don't have anything to add because 'chew so cutely detailed everything, but thank you. Thank you for not saying your budget is $70.

1 hour ago, Eschew said:

Good man. One of the things I love (and hate) about custom keebs as a hobby is trying out and experimenting with new stuff, and examining how I like (or don't like) said stuff. There's waaay more satisfaction in experiencing something for yourself, rather than being told "this is how it is" and rolling with it. 😁👍

Ah, if a keycap set's got "GMK" in the title, it's usually safe to assume it's ABS and Cherry profile. For all its colorways and novelty keycaps, anything GMK still reminds me of cookie-cutters. 😁

🤔

Off the top of my head, the Infinikey White on Black (WoB) Keycaps comes to mind (Hiragana, Katakana, Modifiers), but the Alpha keycap sets don't seem to be in stock, aaand I have a hard time recommending The Key Company. Their QC and customer support is... very not the best. 😅

TKC does sometimes release Extras, especially for previous Group Buy items, but who knows whether the WoB Keycaps will even have extras...

Could try r/mechmarket if you're desperate and super set on that set of keycaps, but I'd scour Amazon or other keeb stores for alternatives/similar designs before being compelled to fork over exorbitant sums because some scalper(?) thought it's a great idea to mark up the secondhand price, lol.

Ah, yeah, I could see how custom cables wouldn't be a sensible investment, then. 👍

Ah, alright. Thanks for the recommendations! Any other advice/remarks? Going back to the ABS shine, any idea when that'll set in? I've used a blackwidow elite with ABS caps for over a year now- usually over 6 (up to 10/12, ouch) hours/day, basically every day, and I don't seem to see much if any shine. Of course, different caps and such. I was also looking in to a film for the switches. You think it's work it/do you know of any good ones? The text doesn't look faded, either, even though it's laser-printed. Also,

exorbitant sums because some scalper(?) thought it's a great idea to mark up the secondhand price, lol.

Are you referring to the TKC WoB or the GMK's? 

Going back to the ABS shine, any idea when that'll set in? I've used a blackwidow elite with ABS caps for over a year now- usually over 6 (up to 10/12, ouch) hours/day, basically every day, and I don't seem to see much if any shine. Of course, different caps and such. I was also looking in to a film for the switches. You think it's work it/do you know of any good ones? The text doesn't look faded, either, even though it's laser-printed.

Unfortunately, that's rather outside of my existing knowledge. Could ask in the #KeebWeebClub for others' thoughts/experiences, I suppose? 😅

Can't provide personal experience, because I only use PBT keycaps regularly, and blank ones at that. 😆 And am quite hesitant to quote secondhand accounts, because it's difficult to generalize or extrapolate from one person's typing habits, keyboard care, specific keycap set, finger/skin/oil-chemistry and apply it to someone else's case.

Edit: Oops, forgot about switch films. 😆

Switch films help if the switch suffers from housing wobble -- when the top housing and bottom housing of the switch don't quite sit flushed together. The aim is to close that gap between the housings, and to reduce inconsistencies or undesireable noise/wobbly feelings between the switches. Some switches are fine and don't need them (my Gateron Ink switches come to mind), while for other switches it's very recommended (from personal experience, the Durock L7s; from secondhand accounts, the Alpacas/Silent Alpacas).

A quick crash course on switch filims and the sorta difference they can make:

Spoiler

Uncertain whether you'll need them for Everglide Aqua Kings, but switch films are on the cheaper end of keeb parts (about $5.00 for 120 films), so it's an easy addon to any enthusiast's shopping list. 😁 If you do get switch films and intend to keep the Aqua Kings' transparent aesthetic, switch films are available in transparent polycarbonate. I believe there's a new silicone kind as well? 🤔

Are you referring to the TKC WoB or the GMK's?

🤔

Initially, I was referring to the Infinikey WoB, but exorbitant secondhand prices also apply to GMK keycap sets in general, especially if they've been wrapped up in Group Buys with excessively long lead times, or have only been manufactured in limited quantites. Haven't been on the particular Reddit or delved into secondhand custom keeb parts marketplaces, but I've seen outlandish r/mechmarket listings meme'd/ridiculed every now and then. 😅

Thanks for the recommendations! Any other advice/remarks?

Yeeep - excited for your build, would very much like to see photos and to hear your thoughts of the keeb once you've finished it! 😁👍

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

42 minutes ago, Eschew said:

Yeeep - excited for your build, would very much like to see photos and to hear your thoughts of the keeb once you've finished it! 😁👍

Well, I might not get to it for a while, but I'll be sure to let you know when I go for it. Thanks again for all the help 🙂

My roommate has the GMMK Pro and... just make sure it's really what you want. Try to find regular and maybe even bad shots of them. Anything looks good when posed up for r/mk or glamour shots in a youtube video but something about the board in person comes off as unimpressive to me. I think it's how much of just a box it is. If you do go with it though make sure to have a file because I've heard it can be hard to get the durock v2s to fit with the brass plate. Lastly, I'd advise considering a polycarb plate instead as the bit of extra give would probably compliment the linear switches nicely.

Space is pretty awesome.

I may be wrong, but I think there are compatibility issues with Durock V2 stabs and the brass plate on the GMMK Pro. Like @NewHopeTech said above, you're going to probably need a file to make it fit.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

On 5/6/2021 at 4:59 PM, Eschew said:

🤔

Ah well, here we go again. $750 budget, but this time I intend to use it. Started off realizing that the aqua kings can have some issues (QC, stem might fit too tightly into the housing, can be overlubed?), dove deeper into switches, lo and behold, I found creampacas (Kailh red/black/burgundy stems in steed of the creams, because I'm 'poor'), possibly with panda housings because I love higher-pitched clacks. Then, I found this: SixtyFive Configurator – Mode Designs
Pure. Nut.

I've decided to use up my entire $750 budget and spend it on a keeb instead of audiophile gear. I made a uh, new list with updated components, let me know what you think: 

-Switches: Creampacas w/ kailh red stems [I actually can't find a place to buy them, know a place?], and possibly with the panda housing  (Also, any lube recommendations for the springs? Should it just be 205g0, or something else?) Yes, probably not worth it, I don't care :^)

-Case: Mode Designs SixtyFive

-PCB: Mode Designs SixtyFive integrated hotswap PCB

-Plate: Mode Designs Sixtyfive plate, TBD. Again, looking for higher-pitched clacks I supposed, maybe something that resembles the tfue keeb? Lol, Don't know how else to describe it.

-Stabs: Likely Durox v2 screw-ins (any lube recommendations?)

-Lube: 205G0 for the stems and other components in the switch... possibly others for the spring and stabs?

-Keycaps: Same GMK/Drop Katakana set. 

-Accessories: Basic braided usb-c to a connector if none is included, Lube station, 00 and 000 paintbrushes, switch opener, Possibly 55g spring swaps (Am I missing anything? kek)

Also, recommendations on software to test the components/ remap keys & add layers? 

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to do more research. Thanks 🙂

5 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

-Switches: Creampacas w/ kailh red stems [I actually can't find a place to buy them, know a place?], and possibly with the panda housing  (Also, any lube recommendations for the springs? Should it just be 205g0, or something else?) Yes, probably not worth it, I don't care :^)

You will have to build them by buying a pack of each and and mix and match the parts. IMO very not worth it for a first build no matter the budget. this is a LOT of work. It will be much easier, and likely cheaper, to just by some Tealios, lube and film. Done.  If you want to go a bit extra you can get some after market springs like TX Springs or Sprit. Some people have said Zeal springs can be crunchy sometimes but I've never had that issue with them. 

Yeah I'd just do 205g0 on everything, but you can put 105 oil on the springs instead.

-Stabs: Likely Durox v2 screw-ins (any lube recommendations?)

205G2 (Amazon sells tubes of it, just labeled as 205) works best here as a rattle dampener, your going to glob this onto the wire and inside the stem, it's thicker than G0 and will stay in place better.  You can can use 205G0 to lightly lube the housing and outside of the stem.  Some people will say use dielectric grease but in my experience that can be too viscous and make the switch feel sluggish. 

(Am I missing anything? kek)

Switch films. If you're opening switches to lube you might as well do this. They help with switch wobble (not really an issue with Zeal switches) and they make the upstroke sound cleaner.

Also, recommendations on software to test the components/ remap keys & add layers? 

Switch Hitter. But if your PCB supports VIA you can just use that to test them. 

24 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Switch films. If you're opening switches to lube you might as well do this. They help with switch wobble (not really an issue with Zeal switches) and they make the upstroke sound cleaner.

Switch Hitter. But if your PCB supports VIA you can just use that to test them. 

Ah fair enough. Forgot to mention film, thanks for reminding me. 

IMO very not worth it for a first build no matter the budget.

I've been told that very many times heh. It'd probably be a good idea to listen to your advice, wouldn't it? Nevertheless... 
Willing to put in the work, even if it might not be worth it. I'm looking for a keeb that's going to keep me satisfied for a *very* long time, so a couple more hours of work to make it best suit me is fine. And errr... I might get polar panda upper housings as well... 

and do a spring swap

and generally waste my money making an extremely frankeinstine-y switch that only uses the alpacas contact and bottom housing...

Anyways thanks for the advice 🙂