New to overclocking. Any advice?

Go to solution Solved by iMxmo,
4 minutes ago, 17030644 said:

so that means taking the battery out and putting it back on right?

sometimes? so other times it doesn't do anything?

if possible, could you clarify this for me? thanks

I'm fairly sure it depends on the OC. If it's a ram OC the pc would boot BIOS into default JEDEC speeds, for CPU it will just boot into BIOS and u must manually configure the changes there. In some cases a crash may occur and reset BIOS settings altogether. If the PC doesn't even boot into BIOS, taking the CMOS battery out (waiting for a bit and cutting all power from the system) inserting it once again is your best bet. Keep in mind that oc'ing ram on the Zen platform is futile unless you're doing it for the fun/experience. 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: mostly gaming and basic tasks like web browsing, microsoft office, sometimes movie maker

Other details 

I bought 2400G + 16GB 3200 MHz + A320M-K a few days ago

and I want to OC the RAM and iGPU to increase gaming performance (I know cpu oc is locked and for now I don't mind)

But my question is, when an overclock is not stable and pc doesn't post? how do I load defaults or enter BIOS? or does it always post but may not boot?

Before you comment I'm too noob to OC, I HAVE DONE my research and I am aware of the following:

n1: OC can result in instability and decreased lifespan/permanent failure of hardware if done incorrectly

n2: OC isn't covered by warranty (that in most cases you can still make use of bc manufacturers cannot tell if you overclocked or not)

n3: OC isn't guaranteed to improve performance due to many factors including, but not limited to, thermal throttling, any other component bottlenecking the system, and game engine breaking.

n4: OC isn't possible in all hardware (for example cpu oc being locked in my A320 mobo) and the fact that OC makes temps and power go up exponentially requires you to have a decent PSU and cooling solution

n5: archieving a good OC that is both stable and will give you a substantial jump in perf is tedious and time-consuming

thanks

1 minute ago, 17030644 said:

But my question is, when an overclock is not stable and pc doesn't post? how do I load defaults or enter BIOS? or does it always post but may not boot?

Re-seat CMOS battery, sometimes it would auto reset BIOS to its defaults. 

4 minutes ago, iCypticx said:

Re-seat CMOS battery,

5 minutes ago, iCypticx said:

sometimes it would auto reset BIOS to its defaults. 

4 minutes ago, 17030644 said:

I'm fairly sure it depends on the OC. If it's a ram OC the pc would boot BIOS into default JEDEC speeds, for CPU it will just boot into BIOS and u must manually configure the changes there. In some cases a crash may occur and reset BIOS settings altogether. If the PC doesn't even boot into BIOS, taking the CMOS battery out (waiting for a bit and cutting all power from the system) inserting it once again is your best bet. Keep in mind that oc'ing ram on the Zen platform is futile unless you're doing it for the fun/experience. 

4 minutes ago, iCypticx said:

and GPU will cause all sorts of issues as I am going to do it once I boot into windows

thanks for the response

20 minutes ago, 17030644 said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: mostly gaming and basic tasks like web browsing, microsoft office, sometimes movie maker

Other details 

I bought 2400G + 16GB 3200 MHz + A320M-K a few days ago

and I want to OC the RAM and iGPU to increase gaming performance (I know cpu oc is locked and for now I don't mind)

Before you comment I'm too noob to OC, I HAVE DONE my research and I am aware of the following:

n1: OC can result in instability and decreased lifespan/permanent failure of hardware if done incorrectly

n2: OC isn't covered by warranty (that in most cases you can still make use of bc manufacturers cannot tell if you overclocked or not)

n3: OC isn't guaranteed to improve performance due to many factors including, but not limited to, thermal throttling, any other component bottlenecking the system, and game engine breaking.

n4: OC isn't possible in all hardware (for example cpu oc being locked in my A320 mobo) and the fact that OC makes temps and power go up exponentially requires you to have a decent PSU and cooling solution

n5: archieving a good OC that is both stable and will give you a substantial jump in perf is tedious and time-consuming

thanks

CPU oc is of course locked on the A320m,but your IGPU is still on the CPU,so you still can't overclock it....the reason why it's locked is not because of the software,but because the A320m doesn't have the right vrm to handle it.