Router failure. Any advice on what to do or replace it with?

nelw

Hi everyone

In the middle of the night I think my Edgerouter Lite died. This is in fact the second one that I’ve gone through. I’m guessing it’s the USB failure problem striking again.  I am not capable of reimaging the USB stick to fix it and much rather buy a replacement. 

Here is the layout of my home network. Please excuse my poor penmanship. 

https://i.imgur.com/S1qwq49.jpg

Fiber “modem” goes into the now-dead edgerouter and that goes into a switch. This is in my coat closet. From here it passes through my condos walls into the living room and my office via Ethernet. 

Can anyone help me address this? Do I simply have to buy a 200-300 wifi router and use it only for its routing capability?  There doesn’t seem to be any good performing non-wifi routers in the market. 

I am super hesitant to buy another Ubiquiti. First one lasted 4 years before dying.

uhhhh why would you have to drop 200+ on a router?  

You can get completely functional gigabit routers for well under 100 bucks.  Advanced WiFi features add $ generally.

(Hell the edgerouter lite can be bought for 135 online right now, so you absolutely do NOT have to spend 200-300 bucks.)

Sure. Is there a well recommended reliable gigabit router where I can take off the antenna?

Do you have a need for any advanced features that wouldn't be found on a consumer router? 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

No particularly advanced features. 

7 hours ago, nelw said:

Hi everyone

In the middle of the night I think my Edgerouter Lite died. This is in fact the second one that I’ve gone through. I’m guessing it’s the USB failure problem striking again.  I am not capable of reimaging the USB stick to fix it and much rather buy a replacement. 

Here is the layout of my home network. Please excuse my poor penmanship. 

https://i.imgur.com/S1qwq49.jpg

Fiber “modem” goes into the now-dead edgerouter and that goes into a switch. This is in my coat closet. From here it passes through my condos walls into the living room and my office via Ethernet. 

Can anyone help me address this? Do I simply have to buy a 200-300 wifi router and use it only for its routing capability?  There doesn’t seem to be any good performing non-wifi routers in the market. 

I am super hesitant to buy another Ubiquiti. First one lasted 4 years before dying.

It depends on how fast your internet is. If you only have like 200 Mbps, then any old router off the shelf will work. If you have Gigabit Fiber on the other hand, most routers don't have the LAN to WAN or WAN to LAN throughput to do Gigabit. So you then have to find those numbers and verify it can in fact support Gigabit. 

The other side of this IF you have some old PC hardware laying around you could just build a PFsense box. Essentially it will do your routing, Firewall, NAT and DHCP. It wont support wireless but I dont think you really need wireless in your closet. PFsense is a $0 solution as long as you have the hardware. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.