Huge windows 10 update. What is going on?

lafrente

Normally Win 10 updates take about 1 min. Currently my PC have been doing 20 min long update with a text saying "This will take a while" and at the bottom "Your PC will restart several times". and it indeed has restarted several times and still at 70%. I've never seen such a "heavy" win 10 update before. What is this?

It ate 15gb of storage, also removed my background image. And installed microsoft edge. Pffff

1 minute ago, lafrente said:

It ate 15gb of storage, also removed my background image. And installed microsoft edge. Pffff

You can run the disc cleanup tool in windows to free up the extra space it took as its a backup of your old windows install incase you need to role back

It also re enables all the useless services you disabled before. So make sure to disable them again. 

I actually haven't disabled any services yet i used to do it using the blackviper script but thats outdated for all i know, not sure if there is any alternative

To be fair, upgrading my linux operating system from one version to the next also require some time and a restart. Fedora 34 came out by the way. Time for os upgrade. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

23 hours ago, lafrente said:

also removed my background image

Thats a new low even for windows  🤣

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

23 hours ago, lafrente said:

It also re enables all the useless services you disabled before. So make sure to disable them again. 

The version upgrades are pretty much in-place reinstalls, so that some things revert to defaults when it comes to system services doesn't surprise me.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

On 5/6/2021 at 9:11 AM, lafrente said:

Essentially, services are background processes that triggers on events. They are usually lightweight. Unless you need every KB of RAM because you have barely enough for anything, or you need every drop of CPH time at all time because you have a system powered by an Atom or something, there is no point in disabling. There was none for my current system that is now about 12 year's old. So certainly, not a concern for any modern system.

Your services settings are cleared out because when a new version of Windows comes you are basically reinstalling the OS and Windows setup transfer everything, reinstall your drivers clean, and so on. Anything that might impact the user experience in a negative way are not transfered. Services config aren't transfered, much like many system tweaks done on the registry. So yes, it sucks for you, but for others who do stuff on their system they followed online without understanding (or the site/author providing the information has no understanding of what he is saying) they get stuff working again.

So they are ups and downs to this.

13 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Thats a new low even for windows  🤣

He probably deleted or moved the picture he put as background. Cache is cleared when you update Windows version

On 5/6/2021 at 8:58 AM, lafrente said:

Great! Now you can uninstall Chrome 😉

Same web browser. Well Edge is better now, as Microsoft is putting it's stuff that Google wasn't a fan at doing due to lack of care due to them being no competition.

On 5/6/2021 at 9:17 AM, wasab said:

To be fair, upgrading my linux operating system from one version to the next also require some time and a restart. Fedora 34 came out by the way. Time for os upgrade. 

Well, sure, when I go from Ubuntu 20.04 to 22.04 a year from now, I'll have to reconfigure everything. However, I didn't even notice when my laptop went from 20.04.1 to 20.04.2, because it didn't change my UI or install a bunch of applications that I had previously uninstalled.

1 hour ago, YoungBlade said:

Well, sure, when I go from Ubuntu 20.04 to 22.04 a year from now, I'll have to reconfigure everything. However, I didn't even notice when my laptop went from 20.04.1 to 20.04.2, because it didn't change my UI or install a bunch of applications that I had previously uninstalled.

My fedora upgrade require me to do absolutely nothing afterwards. 

Sudo make me a sandwich