[X99] Possible upgrade path for the i7-6800k?

Hey!

I built my computer mid 2016 and it served me well.

i7-6800k@4.2GHz(all core)

32GB 3200mhz cl14 RAM

1080ti

Multiple SSDs and harddrives

All on the Asus ROG x99 Motherboard.

A 280mm AIO cools the CPU and a 140mm AIO cools the GPU.

I'm still happy with most of the things, except for the CPU. It works fine, for the most part, but I feel it's a little slow, especially since I began to use more and more of the Adobe Suite(Lightroom, Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere Pro).

But I also game! Even if not as much as I used to, but I'd rather retain my 144fps since I got a monitor for that, too.

As far as I understand the best choice for rendering/workflow would be the i7-6950X which can be had for €200-300 from ebay. If I mange to sell my current CPU that's a good deal. I think.

But I'm out of the loop. Haven't really checked all the hardware news and numbers since I built this machine and I don't know if this would even be a good upgrade.

As you can probably guess, I'd like to keep the motherboard to cut the costs.

Would it be a big mistake to get the 6950x?

13 minutes ago, TehPingwin said:

Hey!

I built my computer mid 2016 and it served me well.

i7-6800k@4.2GHz(all core)

32GB 3200mhz cl14 RAM

1080ti

Multiple SSDs and harddrives

All on the Asus ROG x99 Motherboard.

A 280mm AIO cools the CPU and a 140mm AIO cools the GPU.

I'm still happy with most of the things, except for the CPU. It works fine, for the most part, but I feel it's a little slow, especially since I began to use more and more of the Adobe Suite(Lightroom, Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere Pro).

But I also game! Even if not as much as I used to, but I'd rather retain my 144fps since I got a monitor for that, too.

As far as I understand the best choice for rendering/workflow would be the i7-6950X which can be had for €200-300 from ebay. If I mange to sell my current CPU that's a good deal. I think.

But I'm out of the loop. Haven't really checked all the hardware news and numbers since I built this machine and I don't know if this would even be a good upgrade.

As you can probably guess, I'd like to keep the motherboard to cut the costs.

Would it be a big mistake to get the 6950x?

Imo it’s a better idea to just keep your 6800K for now. Save more money and get a Ryzen 9 3900x or 5900x with a B550 board later down the line. The 6950x would be a decent upgrade but I think just saving up would be a better idea. Also, upgrading to a 6950x won’t really give you a boost in gaming.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

9 minutes ago, Downkey said:

Imo it’s a better idea to just keep your 6800K for now. Save more money and get a Ryzen 9 3900x or 5900x with a B550 board later down the line. The 6950x would be a decent upgrade but I think just saving up would be a better idea. Also, upgrading to a 6950x won’t really give you a boost in gaming.

The problem is that the costs would almost triple with even the cheaper R9 3900x. I'm not ready for that expense anytime soon.
I'm just unsure if the 6950x can hold up in everything else. Maybe I should get something down the line, like the 6900k that has less cores but can sustain higher clocks?

2 minutes ago, TehPingwin said:

The problem is that the costs would almost triple with even the cheaper R9 3900x. I'm not ready for that expense anytime soon.

5900X is pretty heavily scalped right now so no wonder. at MSRP, An upgrade kit for it at normal price would look like this:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor $550.00
Motherboard ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard $102.99 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $652.99
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-06 08:44 EDT-0400  

But imho, even a 5800X would give you more performance, and thats 100$ less. A wild card pick if you can find it on sale is Core i9-10850K with an accompanying Z490 board, but youll need a good rebate for a good Z490 board, and for you to already have a decent cooler for it to be a contender.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

8 minutes ago, TehPingwin said:

I'm just unsure if the 6950x can hold up in everything else. Maybe I should get something down the line, like the 6900k that has less cores but can sustain higher clocks?

Have you tried to look into YT videos of comparisons of the 6950X to other CPUs (some smaller reviewers might to see how they hold up nowadays)?? I'd think more cores are better for your workloads (Photoshop). 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

4 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Have you tried to look into YT videos of comparisons of the 6950X to other CPUs (some smaller reviewers might to see how they hold up nowadays)?? I'd think more cores are better for your workloads (Photoshop). 

Photoshop benefits quite a lot from single core speed, there are uses where multi core helps but with a Ryzen 9 you're really getting the best of both worlds.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Everyone, I appreciate the tips, but your suggestions are all double my budget or more. That's why I'm trying to keep the motherboard.

18 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

I couldn't find anything relevant. I also don't know how much does my overclock change things. Maybe I can run games fine at 4.2 GHz but will struggle to keep the high fps with a slower CPU?

22 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

5900X is pretty heavily scalped right now so no wonder. at MSRP, An upgrade kit for it at normal price would look like this:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor $550.00
Motherboard ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard $102.99 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $652.99
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-06 08:44 EDT-0400  

But imho, even a 5800X would give you more performance, and thats 100$ less. A wild card pick if you can find it on sale is Core i9-10850K with an accompanying Z490 board, but youll need a good rebate for a good Z490 board, and for you to already have a decent cooler for it to be a contender.

Thanks! It's still more than double of what I'd like to spend. Even at MRSP.

2 hours ago, TehPingwin said:

I couldn't find anything relevant. I also don't know how much does my overclock change things. Maybe I can run games fine at 4.2 GHz but will struggle to keep the high fps with a slower CPU?

Looks like you already have a good overclock on your 6800K. You're pretty much at the point of upgrading to a new platform and abandoning X99 as you have essentially reached its limits. Either 10th gen Intel + Z490 or a Ryzen 3000/5000 series + B450 motherboard. 

3 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Photoshop benefits quite a lot from single core speed, there are uses where multi core helps but with a Ryzen 9 you're really getting the best of both worlds.

Ah ok, that's good to know. Thanks! 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 hour ago, SpiderMan said:

Looks like you already have a good overclock on your 6800K. You're pretty much at the point of upgrading to a new platform and abandoning X99 as you have essentially reached its limits. Either 10th gen Intel + Z490 or a Ryzen 3000/5000 series + B450 motherboard.

I see. Well, alright. I guess I'll have to wait with the upgrade then. Thanks!

I use a X99 system as a home lab server. I upgraded from a 5820k to a Xeon E5 2678 v3.

12 cores, 24 threads, base clock of 2.5ghz, turbo of 3.3ghz

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32908662766.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4d0GSdGT

It is an OEM SKU. But you can find more information here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Haswell-based_Xeon_microprocessors#Xeon_E5-2678_v3

Not going to be a good option for gaming, but for workload purposes, it's great bang for buck. 

As a bit of data for rough comparison, in Cinebench R20, it got a score of 3842.