I need help choosing an Iphone in 2021..

Go to solution Solved by SupaKomputa,

I don't see why not. Yes you still gonna get security update, but not feature update.

Hi there, i need help choosing an iphone in 2021..
I want the Iphone XR, but i don't know how long that Apple will support this device (By security updates, OS Improvements..) Some friends tell me that every Apple device last 4-5 years with update support.. But how long will the XR been usable and supported by Apple, and is there any legit website to check how long an iphone will be supported after it's release? Like i want to use a Phone for atleast 2-3 years.. 

I hope somebody can help me out , cheers!

Usually iphone is supported within 4-5 years after its released.

IOS support is not dictated by the model but the chipset / hardware support.

A chart showing iOS compatibility among all iPhones : apple

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

5 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Usually iphone is supported within 4-5 years after its released.

IOS support is not dictated by the model but the chipset / hardware support.

A chart showing iOS compatibility among all iPhones : apple

I can't figure this out, so how long is the xr still supported? and can apple also make the support longer for a device?

The main downsides with an outdated version of iOS - you cannot buy and install new apps that now don't support iOS.

If you had purchased/downloaded the app before they stopped supporting your iOS version, you can still download it and use it.

I am looking at getting an XR.

Seeing though the iPhone 6s is still supported, the XR will probably get a long supported life as well

Just now, comicsansms said:

The main downsides with an outdated version of iOS - you cannot buy and install new apps that now don't support iOS.

If you had purchased/downloaded the app before they stopped supporting your iOS version, you can still download it and use it.

I am looking at getting an XR.

Seeing though the iPhone 6s is still supported, the XR will probably get a long supported life as well

Let's hope 😄 my little brother still uses an Iphone 8.. and it performs really well

Are you planning to also get an XR? 

6 minutes ago, Doghen said:

I can't figure this out, so how long is the xr still supported? and can apple also make the support longer for a device?

As you can see with the chart, the 2013 Iphone 5s supports IOS 12, which is around 6 years.

Apple only guarantee at least 3 years of IOS support, but it can be more if the hardware can support the latest OS.

You still can use the phone as long as you want (i still use an ipad 3) but you cannot install newer unsupported app.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

As you can see with the chart, the 2013 Iphone 5s supports IOS 12, which is around 6 years.

Apple only guarantee at least 3 years of IOS support, but it can be more if the hardware can support the latest OS.

You still can use the phone as long as you want (i still use an ipad 3) but you cannot install newer unsupported app.

How long will the XR be supported you think, for at least 2-3 years further? 

And what if the support is ending, do we still get Security updates orn't? 

(This is my first time using Iphone) 

I don't see why not. Yes you still gonna get security update, but not feature update.

personally I would go for the iphone better known as galaxy s21 ultra. If must be an actual iphone, my sister has the XR and likes it. Personally I would never go older than the 2nd oldest model, in this case would be the 11. Just not a good idea from the standpoint of having it last as long as possible, as described above (updates)

Just my two cents here: If you don't mind smaller phones and are on a price/performance budget but still want to stick within the Apple Ecosystem I'd get the IPhone SE (2nd gen) I currently own one and I cannot be happier, I upgraded from my 6s and with this new A13 processor and some fairly decent camera quality for it's price I can't really complain. It still has the home button if you fancy that, no headphone jack but a lightning port for charging. On the note of charging the 2nd gen SE has a glass back as well as wireless qi charging (providing you don't have a case that will be thick enough to interfere) speaker quality is eh alright and overall I'm very satisfied with my purchase. At around 400 USD you get yourself an A13 chip + decent camera quality (nothing special like the XR's) Touch ID is functional but lacks the tech for Face ID. I'd definitely get this option. The iPhone 12Mini is also worth considering @ 700 USD

50 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

So if it doesn't get any feature updates anymore, i still receive security updates?

35 minutes ago, jwwagner25 said:

personally I would go for the iphone better known as galaxy s21 ultra. If must be an actual iphone, my sister has the XR and likes it. Personally I would never go older than the 2nd oldest model, in this case would be the 11. Just not a good idea from the standpoint of having it last as long as possible, as described above (updates)

So it's not a good idea to buy the XR? 😮

21 minutes ago, Doghen said:

So it's not a good idea to buy the XR? 😮

The iPhone XR would certainly be alright, but I would consider an 11 if you can swing it. A number of tangible improvements to camera tech, performance, UWB support (for AirTags, HomePod mini and the like) and more.

If you do get the XR, you'll probably be good for major feature updates until around 2023 or so. And yes, Apple will release security updates beyond that if necessary.

The XR was released in 2018, making it already 2 years into its lifespan. This will mean probably another 3 years of feature support. The iPhone SE 2nd Gen is at 400$ which is quite good value compared to the XR at $500. The iPhone SE is an iPhone 8 with a much better CPU and GPU performance. Also the SE has an extra storage option of 256GB if you really need it. But if you can get the $600 iPhone 11, that is the best deal. It comes with the A13, support for Ultra Wideband Technology. But the biggest thing is that the iPhone 11 has much better cameras with an Ultrawide lense. Both the SE 2nd Gen and iPhone 11 have 4 years of remaining feature support. 

Note: From my friends experience the back of an iPhone XR breaks quite easily. This might not be true for everyone, so take this with a grain of salt, but just be more careful with a phone that has a glass back

12 hours ago, Doghen said:

How long will the XR be supported you think, for at least 2-3 years further? 

Well the chart above has the XR being release in 2018. So if Apple does 5 years of support, 2023 theoretically  would be when they end support. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.