Upgrading from 8700K system, wanting price/performance over absolute performance.

Zaxan

Budget (including currency): 750CHF

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: All types of games, 1440p/144, programming, streaming, learning video editing.

Other details

Currently have an 8700K and Z370 Taichi, which is degrading, and I have had to lower the overclock from 5GHz to 4.7 and increase voltage for it to remain stable.

I want an upgrade in performance but I will not pay 100CHF for an extra 5% over another part.

I also want to replace the H155i Pro that I have with an air cooler, because I hate the build quality on the cooler and the software is shit. I don't want to pay for another AIO because honestly the price premium is getting out of hand. The air cooler has to be 155mm high at most. I'm looking at a FUMA 2. I'm guessing overclocking headroom is not a big deal with the 5800X as most people seem to get better performance from undervolting with PBO2.

The motherboard must have a front panel USB C connector. I'm looking at the ASROCK B550 Steel Legend.

Other existing parts that I'm keeping:

Gaming OC 3080

16Gb 4266MHz RAM

2x SATA III SSDs

Lian LI 011 Dynamic

RM750X White 2020 Edition

29 minutes ago, Zaxan said:

16Gb 4266MHz RAM

What kind of fast ram do you have?

I'm looking at a FUMA 2.

Fuma 2 is a pretty banger cooler but i never seen it pushed for a 5800X. Imma bet itll do well but not sure if itll max out, but i know something like a bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4 can maximum overclock that chip.

The motherboard must have a front panel USB C connector. I'm looking at the ASROCK B550 Steel Legend.

A board recommendation i would go with will be a B550-F Strix, B550-Plus TUF or the B550 Phantom Gaming 4 from asrock as well, but steel legend is still decent. Nothing to write home about but decent.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

8 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Fuma 2 is a pretty banger cooler but i never seen it pushed for a 5800X. Imma bet itll do well but not sure if itll max out, but i know something like a bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4 can maximum overclock that chip.

Marginal difference between Fuma 2 and DRP 4 - at least their cooling capabilities.

In this review Fuma 2 even is cooler - https://pcper.com/2019/11/scythe-fuma-2-scfm-2000-review/

Here's a bit hotter - https://www.techpowerup.com/review/scythe-fuma-2-dual-tower-cpu-cooler/6.html

I edit my posts more often than not

6 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

What kind of fast ram do you have?

G.Skill Trident Z RGB (2x, 8GB, DDR4-4266, DIMM 288) - digitec

Seems equal but at any rate the Dark Rock 4 is too big.

A board recommendation i would go with will be a B550-F Strix, B550-Plus TUF or the B550 Phantom Gaming 4 from asrock as well, but steel legend is still decent. Nothing to write home about but decent.

Phantom Gaming 4 doesn't have front USB-C from what I could find, plus it's more expensive.

13 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Marginal difference between Fuma 2 and DRP 4

Holy shit. I didnt realize that. Thanks for the tip

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

3800X is on sale here for 296,  as opposed to the 5800X which is 496.

Seems a steel at that price. Might go for that.