5800X air cooling at 155mm

Zaxan

Looking to upgrade from my 8700K which seems to be degrading, as my once stable overclock suddenly shit the bed and now I need a big bump in voltage to get a lower overclock than before. Maybe it's the CPU or maybe it's the Taichi motherboard. Dunno. Anyway.

I have a 011 Dynamic so clearance to the side panel is not great.

I've looked at the Fuma 2, which does great for its price point but some people have issues with it cooling a 5800X. I thought, seeing as these chips are pushed to the limit out of the box that the lack of overclocking headroom wouldn't be a problem but now I'm concerned.

I will consider swapping my current AIO but to be honest I would much rather prefer to go for air cooling this time. The premium on AIOs seems to be getting higher and higher all the time while performance doesn't progress.

Is there anything better than the Mugen 2 at this height? Not bothered by budget in this case because even the most expensive air cooler will be cheaper than a decent AIO.

Personally I used a noctua nh-C14s for about a month with a 5800x, it worked fine. Added a slim fan on bottom for extra airflow. Not familiar with the ones you mentioned but if they are similar to the C14s, they should be alright. Best of luck

This one is 157mm, you might be able to get away with it..

Peerless Assassin 120 – Thermalright

Thermalright PA120 6 Heatpipe Double 120mm PWM Fan For LGA2066 1200 115x AM4 CPU Cooling fans|Fans & Cooling| - AliExpress

If I didn't already have FC140 I would pick that up in a heartbeat.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

Fuma 2 is good. 

I edit my posts more often than not

There are certainly better coolers than the Mugen 2. What cooler and ram are you currently using?

Where are you shopping / located?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

9 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

There are certainly better coolers than the Mugen 2. What cooler and ram are you currently using?

Where are you shopping / located?

At 155mm tall that isn't an AIO? Doubt.

Currently using a H115i Pro and some GSkill 4266MHz RAM.

On 5/6/2021 at 4:13 PM, Zaxan said:

Looking to upgrade from my 8700K which seems to be degrading, as my once stable overclock suddenly shit the bed and now I need a big bump in voltage to get a lower overclock than before. Maybe it's the CPU or maybe it's the Taichi motherboard. Dunno. Anyway.

I have a 011 Dynamic so clearance to the side panel is not great.

I've looked at the Fuma 2, which does great for its price point but some people have issues with it cooling a 5800X. I thought, seeing as these chips are pushed to the limit out of the box that the lack of overclocking headroom wouldn't be a problem but now I'm concerned.

I will consider swapping my current AIO but to be honest I would much rather prefer to go for air cooling this time. The premium on AIOs seems to be getting higher and higher all the time while performance doesn't progress.

Is there anything better than the Mugen 2 at this height? Not bothered by budget in this case because even the most expensive air cooler will be cheaper than a decent AIO.

I feel you pain bro. I have a corsair 280x. My clearance is 150mm. To mitigate this, I installed 12 fans and purchased a custom top vent from Coldzero.

FYI, I have a silverarrow 130. Its okayish.

20210403_185652.jpg

• CPU
    9900KS @ 5.0 avx offset 0/ cache 4.7/ @1.33v
  • Motherboard
    asus strix ROG z390-i
  • RAM
    8gb x2 G.skill ddr 4 3600 (OCed to 4000 17-19-19-39 @1.4v)
  • GPU
    Asus Strix OC RTX 3080 10GB  
  • Case
    Corsair 280x Crystal
  • Storage
    1tb Samsung SSD + 2x (512gb Samsung) SSD
  • PSU
    Seasonic GM 650 650Watt Gold (semi-modular)
  • Display(s)
    LG34gk950g
  • Cooling
    H115i platinum/ 2x NF-A14 (GPU intake)/ 2xNFA14 (H115i radiator exhaust fan) 2x Corsair ML PRO 140(front intake) / 1x NF-A8 (exhaust)/ 2 x Corsair LL 120 (GPU deshroud fans)
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K70 LUX MX RED/ Microsoft Designer Keyboard Bluetooth
  • Mouse
    Corsair Harpoon RGB
  • Sound
    Audioengine A2+/ Audioengine d1 dac/ B&O h6

On 5/7/2021 at 2:53 AM, Zaxan said:

At 155mm tall that isn't an AIO? Doubt.

Currently using a H115i Pro and some GSkill 4266MHz RAM.

The Mugen 2 isn't Scythe's best performing cooler and there are newer, better revisions like the Mugen 5 Rev. B. Their own Fuma 2 is easily better. 

The H115i Pro is easily better than the Mugen 2. I wouldn't recommend downgrading your cooler if you're having cooling issues. How is your current cooler mounted?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Ah shit. Ignore me. I was talking about the Fuma 2 but wrote Mugen 2 for some reason.

I bought the Fuma 2.

The problem with the H115i pro that I had was the shit build quality. It was a pain in the arse getting the screws out of the case again because they're all threaded (they just melted under no pressure at all) and they wouldn't have been useable again.

The pump was also starting to make more noise than it should despite it being orientated correctly for its entire life.

Then iCUE is utter shite so I'm glad not to be dealing with that, too.