PC shuts off and restarts

Tylon66

As title says for the most part.  The PC is about 1.5 years old at this point and a month ago I had the same problem, then it just ... went away.  
Last night the problem returned. 

When I try to load a video game/web page/discord the monitor will turn off, sometimes I can hear the sound though.   Then after a minute it will just restart.  

Also If I just log into my desktop it will let me stare at the desktop all I want, I just cant do anything.

So the monitor turns off but the PC is still powered on? Could be a GPU/mobo problem

well the monitor isnt off sorry if I worded that poorly, it just goes black for a minute or 2.   I had a friend who also said PSU/mobo problem

50 minutes ago, Tylon66 said:

Also If I just log into my desktop it will let me stare at the desktop all I want, I just cant do anything

Classic symptom of a corrupted windows install. What are the specks of your boot drive? 

I am at work currently I will get you that when I get home.  I should add the first time this problem happened I did an sfc /scannow and the problem went away for about a month.  i am not sure if this is what fixed it or if its just correlated.  I tried this again when I had the problem yesterday and I it didn't seem to work.

2 hours ago, doomsriker said:

Classic symptom of a corrupted windows install. What are the specks of your boot drive? 

I did a full windows install just now and I had the same problem.  But I was on discord talking with someone for 20 minutes before it shut off again.  Oddly enough I could still hear him talking but I couldnt talk back and he would cut in and out. 

Hopefully this is what you asked for, this is the drive I have windows installed on.

Solid-state drive capacity
256 GB
Read speed
3000 MB/s
Write speed
1300 MB/s
NVM Express (NVMe) supported

Bytes per sector
PCI Express interface data lanes
x4
Data transfer rate
8 Gbit/s
Random read (4KB)
130000 IOPS
Random write (4KB)
310000 IOPS
Security algorithms
256-bit AES
Hardware encryption

Component for
Notebook
TCG Opal 2.0

Mean time between failures (MTBF)
1500000 h

image.png.77497731e738e18aece5c902a06e4f2c.png

Oh also I am able to browse on microsoft edge and it is not shutting off, I am just crossing my fingers

*edit* I got this as well
image.png.d697f09522baa0d5b26ed63f06b126c5.png

2 hours ago, Tylon66 said:

I did a full windows install just now and I had the same problem.  But I was on discord talking with someone for 20 minutes before it shut off again.  Oddly enough I could still hear him talking but I couldnt talk back and he would cut in and out. 

Hopefully this is what you asked for, this is the drive I have windows installed on.

Solid-state drive capacity
256 GB
Read speed
3000 MB/s
Write speed
1300 MB/s
NVM Express (NVMe) supported

Bytes per sector
PCI Express interface data lanes
x4
Data transfer rate
8 Gbit/s
Random read (4KB)
130000 IOPS
Random write (4KB)
310000 IOPS
Security algorithms
256-bit AES
Hardware encryption

Component for
Notebook
TCG Opal 2.0

Mean time between failures (MTBF)
1500000 h

image.png.77497731e738e18aece5c902a06e4f2c.png

Oh also I am able to browse on microsoft edge and it is not shutting off, I am just crossing my fingers

*edit* I got this as well
image.png.d697f09522baa0d5b26ed63f06b126c5.png

Sorry for the late reply but I would still venture to guess that your os drive had a broken component or one that is giving out because I have had all the symptoms you are describing in the past when I have had a corrupted OS (happened to me 3 times over the years) 

11 hours ago, doomsriker said:

Sorry for the late reply but I would still venture to guess that your os drive had a broken component or one that is giving out because I have had all the symptoms you are describing in the past when I have had a corrupted OS (happened to me 3 times over the years) 

I have a 2nd drive 750gb HD, should I try installing on that and see what happens?

or .. honestly I could just upgrade to a 1tb ssd which I sort of wanted anyway

3 hours ago, Tylon66 said:

I have a 2nd drive 750gb HD, should I try installing on that and see what happens?

or .. honestly I could just upgrade to a 1tb ssd which I sort of wanted anyway

I don’t recommend during a hard drive for a boot drive as windows has a higher chance of getting corrupted that way but just to test the system and make sure that is the issue it should be fine just wouldn’t recommend it long term