Single rail vs multi rail

VelikiPCguy
13 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

What do you base your opinion on?

once you start including units like the Murata Masterwatt Maker MIJ and Wentai Aiden. Then it depends if you count the different AXi revisions as seperate. (i place each AXi revision within the top 5 area if i do count them.)

i did write "unsure if HXi scratches top 5". For some reason i edited to 8. which may or may not have been warranted. now that i think about it top 5 might have been more appropriate. Or top 6. 

It also covers for any other units which i may not know about. (edit: hence the "unsure" part. allways prep for knowledgeable people to pop by to drop some knowledge bombs)

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

HX/HXi is one of my all time favorite PSUs.

Corsair units aside, what would be your personal top 10?*
(the answer to that question would probably help the "cultists" refine the tier list)

*of course if you want you can include Corsair units, but then please make it top 15-20 😄

2 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

once you start including units like the Murata Masterwatt Maker MIJ and Wentai Aiden.

You did read the reviews for those, right?  

They certainly didn't live up to their hype.  Which is why nobody actually owns either of these units.  Technologically superior (GaN in the Wentai) and tier 1 Japanese manufacturing (the CM) does not mean the PSU is automatically "better".

8 minutes ago, electropical said:

Corsair units aside, what would be your personal top 10?*
(the answer to that question would probably help the "cultists" refine the tier list)

*of course if you want you can include Corsair units, but then please make it top 15-20 😄

Non-Corsair?  That's easy. 

Cost is no limit?  Dark Power Pro 12 is great.  The Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G RGB Titanium is fantastic (despite the RGB.. LOL!).  Enermax Platimax, but I don't think they make it anymore.

On a lower end (more mainstream) definitely the bitFenix Whisper, XPG Core Reactor, Enermax Rev D.F.

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

You did read the reviews for those, right?  

They certainly didn't live up to their hype.  Which is why nobody actually owns either of these units

Ive read parts of it. 

Murata unit is there simply because of what it is quality wise. Havent looked much at the Wentai Aiden as afaik it never really turned up as a consumerfacing unit. 

They are in the "top 8" For what they are, not necessarily because they lived entirely up to expectation. 

Same can be said for early AXi units (DOA, return rate, etc) but id still place them highly. 

Also im fairly certain pretty much noone owns a Mij singlehandedly because of the stupidly high pricetag. 

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

Ive read parts of it. 

Murata unit is there simply because of what it is quality wise. Havent looked much at the Wentai Aiden as afaik it never really turned up as a consumerfacing unit. 

They are in the "top 8" For what they are, not necessarily because they lived entirely up to expectation. 

Same can be said for early AXi units (DOA, return rate, etc) but id still place them highly. 

Also im fairly certain pretty much noone owns a Mij singlehandedly because of the stupidly high pricetag. 

The performance of the MIJ is simply mediocre.  Proof positive that build quality does not equate to performance.  If I wanted to buy something that was built like a tank, but performed mediocrely, I would just get an old Impervio built SilverStone Decathlon or Olympia.

Corsair actually looked at Wentai as an AXi "replacement" when we first saw that someone else was using GaN other than Flextronics.  We kept blowing up the samples, so we gave up.

But theres a Linus video comparing multi vs single and in the end he says "it doesnt matter, because single are also secretly multi rail" lol. Information gained: 0

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

51 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

But theres a Linus video comparing multi vs single and in the end he says "it doesnt matter, because single are also secretly multi rail" lol. Information gained: 0

So.. yeah. He quoted me in that.

http://jongerow.com/multiple-12V-rails/index.html

11 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Dark Power Pro 12 is great.  The Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G RGB Titanium is fantastic (despite the RGB.. LOL!).  Enermax Platimax, but I don't think they make it anymore.

On a lower end (more mainstream) definitely the bitFenix Whisper, XPG Core Reactor, Enermax Rev D.F.

So basically just CWT high-end-ish stuff. Is there anything from like Super Flower, High Power, Andyson, Enhance, FSP, hell, even Seasonic you'd consider being included in the top 10 ? Like, bqt! SP11 Gold (why the hell bqt is the only brand employing FSP anyway, are they knee deep in OEM contracts?), Fractal Design ION+ Plat, Thermaltake TP Grand RGB Gold Sync, (trying to think of any really good Enhance PSU ...) Silverstone Strider Platinum (maybe), Aerocool P7 / Andyson N, Super Flower Leadex III / Platinum SE, Seasonic PRIME (yeah, if price is not an issue) ?

Basically, who would you consider first and second candidate for CWT & GW replacement if you suddenly couldn't work with them anymore ?

Also, what's happened with Impervio / ETASIS (not sure what's the relation between them) ? Are they just out of consumer stuff like Delta ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

9 hours ago, Juular said:

So basically just CWT high-end-ish stuff. Is there anything from like Super Flower, High Power, Andyson, Enhance, FSP, hell, even Seasonic you'd consider being included in the top 10 ? Like, bqt! SP11 Gold (why the hell bqt is the only brand employing FSP anyway, are they knee deep in OEM contracts?), Fractal Design ION+ Plat, Thermaltake TP Grand RGB Gold Sync, (trying to think of any really good Enhance PSU ...) Silverstone Strider Platinum (maybe), Aerocool P7 / Andyson N, Super Flower Leadex III / Platinum SE, Seasonic PRIME (yeah, if price is not an issue) ?

Basically, who would you consider first and second candidate for CWT & GW replacement if you suddenly couldn't work with them anymore ?

Also, what's happened with Impervio / ETASIS (not sure what's the relation between them) ? Are they just out of consumer stuff like Delta ?

I know how the sausage is made.  So I don't like Andyson, Seasonic or Superflower by comparison. I mean... I like them as PEOPLE.... LOL!  I suppose if I were to retire, but wanted to put a "jonnyGURU Signature Enthusiast" power supply, I would work with Andyson again.  Especially knowing they JUST updated their Chromas and burn in chambers just a couple years ago.

Enhance is good, but haven't made anything worth talking about in a long time.  I met up with them a while ago with some of our designs hoping they could build them, but the only lines they have that live up to Corsair's standards they have reserved for building server PSUs and those lines are running 24/7, so they refused to turn them off for another customer and they refused to update/upgrade any of their other lines.  😞

FSP is funny.  I guess their Hydro PTM Pro platform is pretty solid.  I just can't figure out why they're so "old school" with the DF and ACRF platforms.  

High Power is like HEC.  They're really good at making mid-range product at high volume.  I think they just have young engineering teams and when they learn enough to make something better, they get hired away to another company.  😄 That happens a lot in the industry.  You'll see the same engineers bounce from company to company.  I count my blessings that I can hang on to the team I have.  

Etasis and Impervio are no more.  Closed for good.

14 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

So.. yeah. He quoted me in that.

http://jongerow.com/multiple-12V-rails/index.html

Oh, I see , that makes more sense, i guess its difficult to pack all this in a 5 minutes video, i mean i recall him talking about this stuff, but what stuck was " single rail are multi rail too" 😅

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity