Future Proof Motherboard Recommendations

Well hello there,

I'm currently searching and conceptualising a new computer build and I'd like to hear any recommendations you guys have. For some context, I work in the cybersecurity industry so I'm trying to figure out a multipurpose workstation. My main hardware needs for my workflows are high CPU core counts, best connectivity and as much/fastest ram as possible. I do a huge load of code compiling and machine learning, also constantly have whole virtualized networks. And, I'm also a bit of an audiophile so as a hobby I tend to do a whole lot of playing with audio tech.

But here's the thing, I'm the kinda guy thats had the same computer since 2011 and keep upgrading it constantly throughout the years (Dual Xeon Mac Pro) so I want to build something that'll last me potentially another ten years. I'm guessing for high core counts and ECC im stuck with Xeon, and I also really want to be able to expand the ram to the TB's at some point. My main focus would be future proofing in every aspect, so id love to hear any recommendations you guys might know about.

My wishes would be:

-Hardware:

TB ram expandability

Minimum 4 Pcle x16 (gen 5 available anywhere yet?) And as many more as possible

As many nvme slots as possible (raid capable)

ECC memory

-I/O:

Minimum 6 Sata connectors for HDD

10gb Ethernet

USB 3.2+/thunderbolt

Optical interface (to not need to occupy Pcle)

Also, anyone know of any features geared towards direct storage by any chance?

Form factor isn't really an issue for me but I'd like to evade going the rack route if possible.

Any ideas guys?

14 hours ago, Dr.Sedo said:

Well hello there,

I'm currently searching and conceptualising a new computer build and I'd like to hear any recommendations you guys have. For some context, I work in the cybersecurity industry so I'm trying to figure out a multipurpose workstation. My main hardware needs for my workflows are high CPU core counts, best connectivity and as much/fastest ram as possible. I do a huge load of code compiling and machine learning, also constantly have whole virtualized networks. And, I'm also a bit of an audiophile so as a hobby I tend to do a whole lot of playing with audio tech.

But here's the thing, I'm the kinda guy thats had the same computer since 2011 and keep upgrading it constantly throughout the years (Dual Xeon Mac Pro) so I want to build something that'll last me potentially another ten years. I'm guessing for high core counts and ECC im stuck with Xeon, and I also really want to be able to expand the ram to the TB's at some point. My main focus would be future proofing in every aspect, so id love to hear any recommendations you guys might know about.

My wishes would be:

-Hardware:

TB ram expandability

Minimum 4 Pcle x16 (gen 5 available anywhere yet?) And as many more as possible

As many nvme slots as possible (raid capable)

ECC memory

-I/O:

Minimum 6 Sata connectors for HDD

10gb Ethernet

USB 3.2+/thunderbolt

Optical interface (to not need to occupy Pcle)

Also, anyone know of any features geared towards direct storage by any chance?

Form factor isn't really an issue for me but I'd like to evade going the rack route if possible.

Any ideas guys?

Just out of curiosity are you really gonna use that much ram? I mean i get it that you probably use many VM's but 1 TB of ram?

20 minutes ago, AzzaNezz said:

Just out of curiosity are you really gonna use that much ram? I mean i get it that you probably use many VM's but 1 TB of ram?

Absolutely yes. I emulate whole server environments. Imagine, if you are emulating 64-128gb ram servers that are using the actively using the ram, with 10-20 machines you are already over your capacity, leaving 0 room for processes in the main OS. 

With my current setup I have to use external server hardware to compensate, which I'd like to get rid of with this new machine. Tbh, 1tb of ram would be what I would start with if I got this motherboard, I'd like it to be able to handle multiple TB's for future proofing in case I ever want/need to expand further. But again, finding a balance between form factor and expandability, I could potentially just build a mini data center but I don't have the room at home

What motherboards would you recommend for an epyc build in a case form factor? From my understanding of these, it would like the features I wished in terms of I/O right? It would have to be all through expansion cards or do you know of any that isn't purely geared to server racks?

15 hours ago, tkitch said:

If you're willing to put in some legwork:  EPYC does everything you want, and then some:

https://www.amd.com/en/press-releases/2021-03-15-amd-epyc-7003-series-cpus-set-new-standard-highest-performance-server

128 PCI-E Lanes for each EPYC CPU.

Xeons would give you high ram capacity, but not enough cores. EPYCs give you cores and RAM, but lack consumer features. Regular Threadripper would give you cores and consumer features, but lack of ram.

I can think of Threadripper PRO as a good option, if you can manage to get one of those.

PCIe 5.0 isn't in mass production yet, you should see some platforms supporting it by the end of this year.

There's nothing off-the-shelf for direct storage, but Linux already has all of the APIs in place for P2P DMA, so you could roll your own stuff.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga