Damaged PS3 CPU during delid. Is there any way i could replace it?

AshleyKitty123

Hello Everyone!

Today i decided to take apart my old PS3 to tinker with it a little. Wanted to try delliding both the GPU and the CPU, but during the delidding process i cut some traces and made a crater on the CPU, killing it.
Is there any possibility that if i could buy a identical CPU to the one on the board and solder it instead of the broken one?

My PS3 is a CECH-2504A
Motherboard: JSD-001 S/N 1-882-770-31
RSX chip: CXD5300CGB
CPU: couldnt read model number off the headspreader since it was really worn out, but from online searches it may be a CXD2992AGB or CXD2992GB

20210506_004647.jpg

20210506_004558.jpg

3 minutes ago, AshleyKitty123 said:

Is there any possibility that if i could buy a identical CPU to the one on the board and solder it instead of the broken one?

That's a BGA-package with a fuckton of pads -- if you have to ask a question like this, then no, you don't have the required expertise to handle it.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

That's a BGA-package with a fuckton of pads -- if you have to ask a question like this, then no, you don't have the required expertise to handle it.

Well yeah, i know, I wasn't gonna do it myself. 

I wanted to ask this since i've looked up cpu replacement for PS3s and some people said that they are paired with the syscon and other parts. Wanted to know if that was true or not. 

25 minutes ago, AshleyKitty123 said:

I wanted to ask this since i've looked up cpu replacement for PS3s and some people said that they are paired with the syscon and other parts. Wanted to know if that was true or not. 

Well, you should've asked that, then. As for the answer, I have no idea.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

you're better off replacing the PS3 than trying to repair it currently

• 1 year later...

very late, but if you or anyone else needs an answer to this, yes you can change but you have to also change syscon and nand/nor with matching ones for the cell you are replacing with.

for the nand you may get away with just dumping the one associated with the cell you are changing to, and flashing it on the nand on the board you are repairing