Case with usb 3.0 sockets but using Motherboard with USB 3.1 Gen1 Header Does it Matter

chippy1

Hi everyone

I have the silverstone Ml03B case and Asrock B450m pro4 motherboard now the case has 2 usb 3.0 sockets but the motherboard has a USB 3.1 Gen1 Header and i have had issues since day one of using this case where i would loose connection to any portable drive plugged in to the case usb 3.0 port.

Now i contacted silverstone who say there going to send out a new usb 3.0 module still waiting but i wonder if th new module will be usb 3.1 and not usb 3.0 and does it matter when a case uses usb 3.0 sockets and not usb 3.1 sockets on the case as most cases these days will have usb 3.0 sockets as usb 3.0 sockets where out before usb 3.1

or is it a case that my usb 3.0 case sockets or cable is just faulty

57 minutes ago, chippy1 said:

Hi everyone

I have the silverstone Ml03B case and Asrock B450m pro4 motherboard now the case has 2 usb 3.0 sockets but the motherboard has a USB 3.1 Gen1 Header and i have had issues since day one of using this case where i would loose connection to any portable drive plugged in to the case usb 3.0 port.

Now i contacted silverstone who say there going to send out a new usb 3.0 module still waiting but i wonder if th new module will be usb 3.1 and not usb 3.0 and does it matter when a case uses usb 3.0 sockets and not usb 3.1 sockets on the case as most cases these days will have usb 3.0 sockets as usb 3.0 sockets where out before usb 3.1

or is it a case that my usb 3.0 case sockets or cable is just faulty

i do not understand what you are asking because it seems you are asking a lot of different quiestions and not giving much detail on the one you want. your title says that you are asking if the USB 3.1 motherboard (MB) connection will work for the case that only has USB 3.0 ports. it will if the case connector that connects to the MB is a 19 pin connector. it will probably have a blue end on it.

and your other question is more of that you are losing connection with what you have into the case USB 3.0 ports and want to know why without giving much more detail on what is happening.

overall it doesnt matter if you have an older gen like the 3.0 ports using a 3.1 connection to the moterboard because the ports will run what they run, they just cant run as fast as 3.1. its kind of like backwards compatibility in whicn the new gen will support and run the previous gen so no issue there. as for the case not keeping the connection. i am going to say that it might be a combination of the case ports being bad as well as the extreme angle you have to put that cable into to make the top of the case close. you might have a loose or bad motherboard connector now. 

See, this is why the USB-IF needs to figure out their crap.

Here's a quick rundown:

USB 3.0 = USB 3.1 Gen 1 = USB 3.2 Gen 1 = 5 Gbps USB port, can be both A or C

USB 3.1 Gen 2 = USB 3.2 Gen 2 = 10 Gbps USB port, can be both A or C

USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 = 20 Gbps USB port, can only be Type-C

What I think happened here is that Silverstone botched something up on their front panel, and their front USB had a problem (such as a faulty trace, meaning the USB ports weren't receiving power correctly, etc.). The whole "USB 3.1 Gen 1 is not compatible with USB 3.2 Gen 2" doesn't exist.

If you still have problem when the new module arrives and you have it installed, we can do further troubleshooting, but until then just wait.

elephants

11 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

See, this is why the USB-IF needs to figure out their crap.

Here's a quick rundown:

USB 3.0 = USB 3.1 Gen 1 = USB 3.2 Gen 1 = 5 Gbps USB port, can be both A or C

USB 3.1 Gen 2 = USB 3.2 Gen 2 = 10 Gbps USB port, can be both A or C

USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 = 20 Gbps USB port, can only be Type-C

What I think happened here is that Silverstone botched something up on their front panel, and their front USB had a problem (such as a faulty trace, meaning the USB ports weren't receiving power correctly, etc.). The whole "USB 3.1 Gen 1 is not compatible with USB 3.2 Gen 2" doesn't exist.

If you still have problem when the new module arrives and you have it installed, we can do further troubleshooting, but until then just wait.

Yes once i get the replacement part i will install and try again. But there is also this usb issues where motherboard manufacturers are releaseing Bios updates Update AMD AGESA ComboAM4v2 1.2.0.2 that is suppose to fix usb issues.

So for me i am wondering if its the case usb 3.0 sockets causig the issue the cable that comes from the usb 3 socket to the motherboard or does my motherboard need the update to fix the issue or is the motherboard faulty.

Was looking for the post today but still no arrival of replacement yet

24 minutes ago, tdkid said:

i do not understand what you are asking because it seems you are asking a lot of different quiestions and not giving much detail on the one you want. your title says that you are asking if the USB 3.1 motherboard (MB) connection will work for the case that only has USB 3.0 ports. it will if the case connector that connects to the MB is a 19 pin connector. it will probably have a blue end on it.

and your other question is more of that you are losing connection with what you have into the case USB 3.0 ports and want to know why without giving much more detail on what is happening.

overall it doesnt matter if you have an older gen like the 3.0 ports using a 3.1 connection to the moterboard because the ports will run what they run, they just cant run as fast as 3.1. its kind of like backwards compatibility in whicn the new gen will support and run the previous gen so no issue there. as for the case not keeping the connection. i am going to say that it might be a combination of the case ports being bad as well as the extreme angle you have to put that cable into to make the top of the case close. you might have a loose or bad motherboard connector now. 

Sorry i though my question was understandable but i must try hard to exsplain in future.

2 minutes ago, chippy1 said:

Sorry i though my question was understandable but i must try hard to exsplain in future.

your question is kind of understandable but it seems to me you were asking 2 questions with the title and then what was what you asked so i didnt know what you wanted.

9 minutes ago, tdkid said:

your question is kind of understandable but it seems to me you were asking 2 questions with the title and then what was what you asked so i didnt know what you wanted.

What i need is someone who has same motherboard to connect 2 portable drives to there case usb 3.0 ports and transfer files across from one drive to another to see if they have the same issue of the Drives or one Drive disconnecting while files are being transferred.

What i should as is if i use a adapter cable to plug my case usb 3 cable to my motherboard usb 2.0 header it gives no issues at all.

10 minutes ago, chippy1 said:

What i need is someone who has same motherboard to connect 2 portable drives to there case usb 3.0 ports and transfer files across from one drive to another to see if they have the same issue of the Drives or one Drive disconnecting while files are being transferred 

well if this is what you need then. might i make a suggestion of getting a USB hub for one of those ports, connecting the drives to the hub and then transfering the files that way. this would probably allow you to see which of the ports is bad