Looking for quiet cooler for Ryzen 5 3600X in small-ish case

Inzen

Hi!

I'm looking for a quiet cooler upgrade for my recently acquired PC.

The stock cooler too loud for my liking, I did what I could with fan-curves.

I wanted to go with a noctua NH-15 or something similar but the big noctuas dont fit my case.

Any recommendations for a quiet cooler?

Air and AIO are both fine.

I live in Estonia/Europe and I think price should be around 60-120 euros.

Thanks for your time!

PC info:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz

MB: MSI MAG B550M Bazooka

GPU: MSI RTX3060 Gaming X 12 GB

Case: CoolerMaster Masterbox Q300L

Additional fans in the case, all tuned to run ~50% rpm.

2 x 140mm in front for intake

1 x 140mm exhaust on top of cpu

1x 120mm exhaust behind cpu

I'm using the Cooler Master MasterAir MA612 Stealth cpu cooler for my Ryzen 5 3600 and I barely hear it.

it cost me 80 euro so should fit right into your budget if u want a air cooler, they also have the RGB version which is a bit more expensive.

the cooler was easy to install and u don't have to worry about buying extra cables because everything is included.

i feel like that noctua is an overkill. although a friend of mine is using the Be Quiet Pure Rock Slim on the same cpu and he is really satisfied with the noice and performanse as far as you dont plan any overcloking that is. that said i dont think its the best one for your price range. You could try something like Be Quiet Dark Rock TF but i dont have first hand experience with it

What ram are you using?

You mentioned additional fans. Are those fans that you already have or are you asking for fan recommendations?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

15 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What ram are you using?

You mentioned additional fans. Are those fans that you already have or are you asking for fan recommendations?

Two of these https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX432C16FB3_8.pdf

Kingston HyperX HX432C16FB3/8 8GB 1G x 64-BitDDR4 3200 CL16 288 Pi DIMM

At the moment I'm leaning towards a different case. System gets quite hot with side panel on. Temp is fine without side panel but still loud.

Fans. Are the ones I have. But I can exchange them If I need. The dude I bought it from is a reasonable guy and is willing to buy back parts or the lot if needed.

P.S. My room temp is around 25 degrees Celsius, If that is relevant.

5 hours ago, Inzen said:

Fans. Are the ones I have. But I can exchange them If I need. The dude I bought it from is a reasonable guy and is willing to buy back parts or the lot if needed.

50% rpm isn't very quiet for most fans. Are they quiet enough at that speed? What fans are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

i have a small case and a 3600 and this cooler 

Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black, 120 mm. (70 euros)

You just need to check clearance for your case, but afaik this is one of the smallest tower coolers thats suitable for this kind of cpu.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

35 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

i have a small case and a 3600 and this cooler 

Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black, 120 mm. (70 euros)

You just need to check clearance for your case, but afaik this is one of the smallest tower coolers thats suitable for this kind of cpu.

The included Wraith Stealth is adequate already. It doesn't take a very large cooler to cool the 3600 but a large heatsink may allow for lower fan speeds and noise. 

6 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

50% rpm isn't very quiet for most fans. Are they quiet enough at that speed? What fans are you using?

Front intakes are 2x Arctic P14 PWM PST

Top exhaust is Fractal Design Dynamic X2 GP-14 or Dynamic GP-14

Back exhaust came with the case, some 120mm CoolerMaster fan with clear blades.

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The included Wraith Stealth is adequate already. It doesn't take a very large cooler to cool the 3600 but a large heatsink may allow for lower fan speeds and noise. 

Thx for the tip. I was guessing the same.

I achieved 20 degree Celsius drop in temperature on the GPU when I opened the side-panel, CPU didn't care much, maybe 5 degrees. This was under load.

Because of this it seems the case is quite airflow restricted. (GamersNexus review said the same).

So now I'm looking for a replacement case. CPU cooler upgrade can wait a bit.

10 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Oh it definitely is, i bought the cooler for two reasons, one because the wraith cooler has always been rather noisy and has this apparently typical "zig zag" pattern where itll constantly rev up and down , this is completely gone with the noctua, and its also around 10C cooler on average, and the second reason is im planning to buy an intel cpu this year and then ill need an aftermarket cooler anyway. Probably going to use the 3600 in a second build  (with a gtx 1060) though.

4 hours ago, Inzen said:

I achieved 20 degree Celsius drop in temperature on the GPU when I opened the side-panel, CPU didn't care much, maybe 5 degrees.

Thats funny i have a "bad airflow" case also, but ive never been convinced its really bad, rather wasnt tested properly, so i did this test often, and recently after adding even more fans,removing the side panel doesnt  even make 1C difference, so that means its not actually a bad airflow case (inwin 301 btw) but i agree in your case it actually seems to be since removing the side panel makes such a huge difference, and as long you arent overclocking you really dont need another cpu cooler .

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 5/7/2021 at 4:15 AM, Mark Kaine said:

the wraith cooler has always been rather noisy and has this apparently typical "zig zag" pattern where itll constantly rev up and down

The fan ramping can be lessened with a longer fan delay for speed changes. 

15 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The fan ramping can be lessened with a longer fan delay for speed changes. 

I see, i figured it would , this goes probably back to my other issue with the Lepa pwm fans from the other thread, the settings in my BIOS just dont stick, i can change them, itll work when i boot into BIOS, but itll reset as soon i boot into windows , thats why im using msi command center, its annoying because it doesnt  even load settings automatically, but its the only way i found to actually have my fans running at not default speeds . Maybe im doing something wrong  but i really tried everything, also deinstalling command center, the fan settings from BIOS just wont stick ... CPU OC and XMP works though as does changing between DC and PWM , its really just the fan speed settings. 🤷‍♀️

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity