Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I5 7400 running at lower clock speeds than expected?

Go to solution Solved by ElPepren,
22 minutes ago, Universes said:

Is this something that started happening recently? 

What I noticed is that CPU-Z shows the multiplier as "x 22 (8-22)". It appears for some reason, something is telling the CPU to max out at that speed. Usually the multiplier can be set in the BIOS. 

I can't change those multipliers since the cpu is non k

Issue was solved by updating the BIOS (was F2 now is F6)

Hello, I have a I5 7400 that should run at 3.0GHz base but instead runs at 2.2Ghz max even while playing warzone. 

I tried using the max perfomance power plan and checked everything cpu related was at 100%, I also changed the core voltage from 0.804V as shown in the pic (was set to auto in the motherboard) to 1.2v and got no extra perfomance

CPU is running at 50º while gaming

Specs:

CPU: I5 7400

Motherboard: gigabyte b250m gaming 5

GPU: GTX 1060 3GB

RAM: 1x16gb 3200mhz(XMP)

PSU: 430w 80 plus bronze

unknown.png

unknown (1).png

It's throttling, use HWINFO to see why.

12 minutes ago, Bitter said:

It's throttling, use HWINFO to see why.

What do I have to check exactly?

29 minutes ago, ElPepren said:

What do I have to check exactly?

Temperature of each core preferably, not just the package.

58 minutes ago, ElPepren said:

I also changed the core voltage from 0.804V as shown in the pic (was set to auto in the motherboard) to 1.2v and got no extra perfomance

Why did you think increasing voltage would give you more performance? You increase voltage if your OC isn't stable, you aren't doing OC... your CPU is throttling bellow base clocks.
By increasing voltage you increase power consumption and with that you increase heat generation...

image.png.93841ff24dbc19db25593fd9384a444e.png

1 hour ago, ElPepren said:

RAM: 1x16gb 3200mhz(XMP)

Dual channel isn't reserved only for AMD you know... for the love of God put another stick in or trade that one in for x2 8GB. 😄

1 hour ago, ElPepren said:

PSU: 430w 80 plus bronze

That PSU is only just good enough for your current configuration... when time comes to upgrade stuff don't forget to put a better PSU in.

25 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

Temperature of each core preferably, not just the package.

Why did you think increasing voltage would give you more performance? You increase voltage if your OC isn't stable, you aren't doing OC... your CPU is throttling bellow base clocks.
By increasing voltage you increase power consumption and with that you increase heat generation...

image.png.93841ff24dbc19db25593fd9384a444e.png

Dual channel isn't reserved only for AMD you know... for the love of God put another stick in or trade that one in for x2 8GB. 😄

That PSU is only just good enough for your current configuration... when time comes to upgrade stuff don't forget to put a better PSU in.

Temps are 35ºc idle for every core and 50º while gaming

Still can't solve the underclock issue

1 minute ago, ElPepren said:

Temps are 35ºc idle for every core and 50º while gaming

Still can't solve the underclock issue

Intel very rarely has all cores working at same temps, usually 10c difference between coolest and hottest, sometimes even more... what software are you using for monitoring?

4 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

Intel very rarely has all cores working at same temps, usually 10c difference between coolest and hottest, sometimes even more... what software are you using for monitoring?

HWINFO and MSI Afterburner both show the same results, with every core between 34-37ºc at idle and 47-51º while gaming

What I noticed is that CPU-Z shows the multiplier as "x 22 (8-22)". It appears for some reason, something is telling the CPU to max out at that speed. Usually the multiplier can be set in the BIOS. 

Read before asking for help  |  How to respond to a no POST or no power up situation  |  Don't ask to ask, just ask  |  The XY Problem  | Don't just say "Hello" in chat  |  How do I ask a good question?

If my post helped, please give a 'reaction' using the heart 🤍 in the bottom right. 

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

F@H Contribution

BOINC Contribution

"The only difference between a problem and a solution is that people understand the solution."

"Give people permission to make mistakes and the obligation to learn from them."

“The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice.” - Brian Herbert

"People will never truly understand something until it happens to them."

"I usually give people more chances than they deserve but once I'm done, I'm done."

CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X  |  Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Gaming X  |  RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3600MHz  |  GPU Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti  |  Case BitFenix Ghost  |  Storage HP EX920 1TB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB  |  PSU XFX Pro 750W Black Edition 80 Plus Gold  |  Displays Dell UP2716D, QNIX QX2710LED  |  Cooling Noctua NH-D15  |  Operating System Windows 10 Home

22 minutes ago, Universes said:

I can't change those multipliers since the cpu is non k

Issue was solved by updating the BIOS (was F2 now is F6)