Ubuntu booting up to a blinking underscore/cursor

My laptop was stuck so I decided to force it off and start it up but it didn't and went to a black screen and a blink underscore or cursor I am runing ubuntu 20.04.2 LTD (GNU/Linux 5.8.0-50-generic x84_64)

I am in terminal right now but that is it I have to do classes and midterms soon can anyone help?

Can you boot into grub? What terminal do you have access to, and what were you doing when your laptop froze?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Can you boot into grub? What terminal do you have access to, and what were you doing when your laptop froze?

So I don't know what you mean by boot into grub if you mean the menu 

With all the stuff on it like ubuntu advanced options for ubuntu yuh but when I press ubuntu it goes to the blinking cursor and then I press ctrl+alt+f2 and then I had access to that terminal and I was downloading some movies to put on plex media server when it froze 

2 minutes ago, my username got flaged said:

So I don't know what you mean by boot into grub if you mean the menu 

With all the stuff on it like ubuntu advanced options for ubuntu yuh but when I press ubuntu it goes to the blinking cursor and then I press ctrl+alt+f2 and then I had access to that terminal and I was downloading some movies to put on plex media server when it froze 

Can you try disabling quiet boot if it's not already disabled and see if any errors pop up? Would also try other kernels if you can.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Can you try disabling quiet boot if it's not already disabled and see if any errors pop up? Would also try other kernels if you can.

I don't know how to do any of that so can u help me I am 13 

1 minute ago, my username got flaged said:

I don't know how to do any of that so can u help me

In the grub menu, highlight the kernel you want to use, then press "e". Scroll down to the line that starts with "linux", and if you see the word "quiet", delete it. Then ctrl + x and see if any errors pop up.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

In the grub menu, highlight the kernel you want to use, then press "e". Scroll down to the line that starts with "linux", and if you see the word "quiet", delete it. Then ctrl + x and see if any errors pop up.

How to enter the grub menu I want to Google this but I am frighten I will lose this page 

Just now, my username got flaged said:

How to enter the grub menu I want to Google this but I am frighten I will lose this page 

You said when you turn your PC on it shows the grub menu. That is what I mean. It'll look something like this:

Clean Up the New Ubuntu Grub2 Boot Menu

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

You said when you turn your PC on it shows the grub menu. That is what I mean. It'll look something like this:

It said booting command list and then it started and the ubuntu logo is on right now 

1 minute ago, my username got flaged said:

It said booting command list and then it started and the ubuntu logo is on right now 

Take a picture. 

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

5 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

It said welcome to the ubuntu version and went back to a black screen and a underscore 

Take a picture. 

Literally to late it just went so fast I will try it again and see to get one 

6 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Take a picture. 

Can't send a pic it says to low memory to complete previous action on my phone and it flashes way to fast it boots I know that but then it just goes to the stupid blank screen and everything says ok when going through the logs 

9 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Take a picture. 

When I reach here I try to access the terminal and do I login to it and that is it I don't know what to do from there 

1 hour ago, my username got flaged said:

Anyone has an idea?

When you see the blinking cursor, press Ctrl+Alt+F2. Does some text like this appear? (The my_computer bit could be different)

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS my_computer tty2

my_computer login: _

If so, log in there (type your username, then press enter, then your password, then enter again). If successful, you will see something like this:

Welcome to Ubuntu 20.04, GNU/Linux 5.8.0-50-generic x84_64

* Documentation: <https://help.ubuntu.com>

* Management: <https://landscape.canonical.com>

* Support: <https://ubuntu.com/advantage>

XXX packages can be updated.

XXX updates are security updates.

Ubuntu comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by applicable law.

my_username@my_computer:~ $

Now, type startx and press enter. What happens?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2021 at 1:42 PM, my username got flaged said:

Anyone has an idea?

This is what works for me most but not all of the time, with the blank screen and blinking underscore I press

Ctrl+Alt+F2

Ctrl+Alt+F1

I then have the window manager back.

After pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2 I get the command line log in prompt, I don't bother logging in, I go ahead and press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and that gets the window manager back.

Mind you this will not fix a messed up grub.