Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PSU noise, is it time to replace it?

So, I got a Smart 80+ Thermaltake PSU, 500W and I've been using it for 5 years now. I really had little to no problems with it but now it's making a noise every once in a while. I've checked it and I'm 100% sure it's because of the fan and I was wondering if this has a fix. I've seen some people lubing the PSU fan or even replacing it, but I've also read that some people don't advice it because of the dangers of opening the PSU. Is it safe to fix it or should I swap it as soon as possible? I'm aware it's not a top tier PSU, but I really rather to keep it if it's a viable option. Thanks

System:

CPU: FX-6300
GPU: XFX RX 470

Motherboard: GA-970A-DS3P (rev. 2.0)
RAM: 12GB 4GBx3
Storage: 1 HDD 5400rpm

Edited by InsanePowerpointUser

I personally would not recommend working on your PSU since there is a small chance you can die. Ultimately it’s up to you, if you do work on it wear thick rubber gloves and be careful. 

alternatively, some of EVGA’s PSUs are on sale on their website so you could just do that. 

Read a guide and make sure it’s fully discharged, nobody is gonna tell you to do this if you haven’t before and know what you’re dealing with, because touching those caps and jumping them over your hand can shock the hell out of you.

But, replacing the fan is pretty easy. It’s probably just a 2 or 3 pin fan, just take it out and replace it with another.

1 hour ago, Sorenson said:

alternatively, some of EVGA’s PSUs are on sale on their website so you could just do that. 

I wouldn't recommend EVGA's PSUs as a whole. Most of them are either eh or terrible.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

9 minutes ago, Elisis said:

I wouldn't recommend EVGA's PSUs as a whole. Most of them are either eh or terrible.

I mean idk what to even say to this. According to the PSU tier list many of them are really good. I’ve personally used two of their gold rates PSUs and never noticed a difference between my current Corsair SF750 platinum. If you buy an unrated PSU from them it’s probably going to be crap. If you buy one that’s 80+ gold or higher rated it will probably be good 🤷‍♀️

2 hours ago, Sorenson said:

I mean idk what to even say to this. According to the PSU tier list many of them are really good. I’ve personally used two of their gold rates PSUs and never noticed a difference between my current Corsair SF750 platinum. If you buy an unrated PSU from them it’s probably going to be crap. If you buy one that’s 80+ gold or higher rated it will probably be good 🤷‍♀️

You…you know he was a co-writer on the tier list right?

That’s like going up to a cop who wrote your speeding ticket and saying “naw it says $50 learn to read” when the cop wrote $175 on it.

intelligent person: helps write tier list and contributes much helpful info

someone: reads info on tier list wrong NO THEY’RE GOOD

TL;DR listen to them and don’t try to use their own source to prove them “wrong.”

Black Lightning
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.7 ghz

Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M
2x8 GB 1600 MHz Crucial Ballistix Sport
MSI R9 290X Lightning
Corsair Crystal 280X Black RGB
240 GB Revodrive 3, 64 GB Sandisk SSD

EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
Noctua NH-C14S

41 minutes ago, The Blackhat said:

You…you know he was a co-writer on the tier list right?

That’s like going up to a cop who wrote your speeding ticket and saying “naw it says $50 learn to read” when the cop wrote $175 on it.

He completely wrote off EVGA PSUs without really giving reasoning beyond “eh.” It doesn’t matter that he helped write the PSU tier list if he is disregarding the info on it. My point was more to not generalize so broadly since every company has good and bad products. Also, I don’t find comments that disagree without evidence or solutions for the O.P. particularly helpful. Keep in mind that O.P. is on a budget so I pointed him in a direction where he could get a B tier 550w gold rated PSU for $65, which is plenty for a system with an FX CPU and rx 470. 

41 minutes ago, The Blackhat said:

intelligent person: helps write tier list and contributes much helpful info

someone: reads info on tier list wrong NO THEY’RE GOOD

TL;DR listen to them and don’t try to use their own source to prove them “wrong.”

P.S. I don’t really appreciate you insinuating that I’m stupid with straw man arguments  instead of evaluating what I actually said and going from there. (link so you can learn what this means and become an intelligent person)

@InsanePowerpointUser I’m sorry this got off topic and I hope you found a PSU that works in your system 🙂

2 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

He completely wrote off EVGA PSUs

No I did not. Note the qualifier "most".

3 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

My point was more to not generalize so broadly since every company has good and bad products.

Yet you recommended EVGA PSUs in general?

3 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

Keep in mind that O.P. is on a budget

You can do so much better than EVGA's budget offerings. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

18 minutes ago, Elisis said:

No I did not. Note the qualifier "most".

you said 

I wouldn't recommend EVGA's PSUs as a whole.

Last time I checked this is completely writing off EVGA PSUs. 

Yet you recommended EVGA PSUs in general?

I recommend them when I notice the company is having a sale and there are decent options that match the person’s build. 

You can do so much better than EVGA's budget offerings. 

Cool, please list your recommendations so OP is better informed on which PSU to buy. 

27 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

Last time I checked this is completely writing off EVGA PSUs. 

Last time I checked this is writing off recommending "EVGA PSUs" as opposed to doing something sensible like judging by model.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler