Higher temps Ryzen 5900x + Asus Dark Hero

Hey friends!

Just recently upgrade to a Ryzen 5900x with an Asus Dark Hero X570 and 32gb of 3200mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum (4x8gb).

After installing I haven’t done anything to the BIOS other than turning on DOCP. I updated drivers on the Asus site.

At idle I’m getting around 45c and the minute I turn on a game I’m up to like 78c-80c right away.

Most likely I haven’t updated or customized something. I also did NOT reinstall windows. I switched my 500gb and 1TB m.2 drives over to the new board.

I also applied Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut with the spread method. Using a Corsair iCue Cappelix AIO triple fan for cooling.

Any tips??

Nope. Those are optimal running temps for a 5900X on an AIO water loop with XMP enabled while some voltages on "auto" engage in increased settings such as the on chip SOC (memory controller) voltage which adds additional heat, which is what the warning was all about when you applied it.

Custom water-cooling stock paste from the water blocks:
image.png.ad2732ea6f4d071384cc404f675c2749.png

Ryzen just runs hot 🙂 I wondered the same thing as you over a year ago. I own the 3800X

Edit: I'm doing some things which is why it's at 57, normally idles around 45-50.

9 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Custom water-cooling stock paste from the water blocks:
image.png.ad2732ea6f4d071384cc404f675c2749.png

Ryzen just runs hot 🙂 I wondered the same thing as you over a year ago. I own the 3800X

Edit: I'm doing some things which is why it's at 57, normally idles around 45-50.

I see. I had a 3700x with a B550-F before this and I would idle at around 32c and then get up to about 63c while playing a game. So this was quite the jump.

14 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Nope. Those are optimal running temps for a 5900X on an AIO water loop with XMP enabled while some voltages on "auto" engage in increased settings such as the on chip SOC (memory controller) voltage which adds additional heat, which is what the warning was all about when you applied it.

Thanks for your swift response I appreciate it. I was concerned that the kryonaut I purchased may have been fake. I’m not sure though. Maybe it was applied wrong.

14 minutes ago, DelTacoBoi said:

Thanks for your swift response I appreciate it. I was concerned that the kryonaut I purchased may have been fake. I’m not sure though. Maybe it was applied wrong.

I spread all my chips. Especially the de-lidded ones. So you're good. Only need but a thin layer.

Most of the heat is transistor count.

5900X = 19 BILLION transistors. 

FX-55 single core = 114 Million

FX-8350 = 1200 Million

i7 8700K = 3 Billion

3 minutes ago, DelTacoBoi said:

I see. I had a 3700x with a B550-F before this and I would idle at around 32c and then get up to about 63c while playing a game. So this was quite the jump.

Out of curiosity is it the same aio or did you go from air to water? It should be also noted that the 5700x is more power hungry than the 3700x, and has the same tdp as mine.

During Folding Month and COVID Folding (mainly I think) event I got my CPU up to the 90's lol... Oh I forgot to mention the thermal paste is only one aspect to cooling the cpu, if your cooling solution can't pull that heat as fast as the paste can transfer it'll cause the bottleneck in heat dissipation. 

40 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Out of curiosity is it the same aio or did you go from air to water? It should be also noted that the 5700x is more power hungry than the 3700x, and has the same tdp as mine.

During Folding Month and COVID Folding (mainly I think) event I got my CPU up to the 90's lol... Oh I forgot to mention the thermal paste is only one aspect to cooling the cpu, if your cooling solution can't pull that heat as fast as the paste can transfer it'll cause the bottleneck in heat dissipation. 

So I’m using a triple fan Corsair iCue capellix. Same AIO I used before but I just got that AIO like 3 months ago. I was using stock pre applied paste from the aio with the 3700x. Now with the 5900x since I had to re apply paste. I ordered the thermal grizzly kryonaut. I have been reading online that there could be fake stuff out there though. Also I have never spread paste with the spatula before so I’m hoping I didn’t use to much or even worse, fake batch.

19 minutes ago, DelTacoBoi said:

So I’m using a triple fan Corsair iCue capellix. Same AIO I used before but I just got that AIO like 3 months ago. I was using stock pre applied paste from the aio with the 3700x. Now with the 5900x since I had to re apply paste. I ordered the thermal grizzly kryonaut. I have been reading online that there could be fake stuff out there though. Also I have never spread paste with the spatula before so I’m hoping I didn’t use to much or even worse, fake batch.

Ok if the cooler was a few years old it could be due to a tiny leak or evaporation. As long as you bought your grizzly from a reputable place (Amazon sold by Amazon, or Brick & Mortar storefront) and not from the dude in the back ally selling Rolex's you likely got the real deal, if you suspect you got a fake reach out to grizzly and give them the information of the seller you bought from. For spreading or adding too much I've never spread my paste so I know nothing about that, if you added too much once pressure is applied it would ooze out from the sides (should be noticeable), or once heat is applied the extra paste might flow out, both situations require cleaning, but equally in both situations you'd likely short the computer as well by now.

I'm running a 280mm and a 120mm setup for mine, so your temps are well within line of what I would call reasonable for the cooling solution. To get better results you'd need a bigger cooler to handle the heat.

After testing a game i noticed frame reduction. I am running the bios that came with the board which is version 3003. There is an update for 3501 but its in beta so I am not too sure about that. I basically plugged and played without any tweaking.