They sent my broken product back.

James

Buy Intel P4500 SSD (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/1ZRtl

My RMA return from Intel finally arrived so I'm going to find out if they solved the problem I was having with these storage drives -and if so- what they changed.

Lol Gigabyte fixing things. They couldn't be assed to put proper ACPI and UEFI on a server board I was using. And that was just one board. Never liked any board from them.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Well that makes sense that they don't have time to try every single problem

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

39 minutes ago, James said:

Buy Intel P4500 SSD (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/1ZRtl

My RMA return from Intel finally arrived so I'm going to find out if they solved the problem I was having with these storage drives -and if so- what they changed.

I'll state the obvious, but clearly the problem was the server in the first case. Had it been the drives, all the drives with the same firmware should have failed at the exact same time, every time. My wild guess here is that the gigabyte platform was not QA'd with PCIe 3.1 drives. Though what exactly they were QA'd with is anyone's guess. Probably whatever storage platform the server was intended to be sold with. To which, why didn't Gigabyte update the firmware?

Like a very basic troubleshooting step is hard to do in a server environment, which would be to try the drives in another unit, but outside of a data center, where would you find an identical server configuration?

Hate to be that guy but technically speaking isn't this AMD's fault not Intel's? If the issue is due to a specific incompatibility between an NVMe drive from Q2 2017 and CPUs from Q3/4 2018 and it can be fixed via a BIOS update, then it's a CPU issue right? :S

The intricacies of PCIe makes for a lot of fun troubleshooting time that one wish one never needed to have.
Though, can't say that x86, and NVMe is making the situation any better on that front.

I usually refer to software as a jungle, but sometimes hardware is its own. Though, at least a poorly cable managed rack looks like a jungle so one clearly knows what one is up against. But incompatible hardware, or just software issues are far harder to gauge at first glance.

Though, a lot of systems are not built with simplicity in mind, but rather a scatterbrained feature creeping behemoth trying to do everything. (So when a small issue pops up, it tends to have a domino effect and suddenly one's computer doesn't boot due to a fault one suspects to be on the PCIe bus, bit is in fact created by a partly responsive USB controller fuzzing about with an intermittent connection to the USB hub in one's display on the other side of a cable that has seen the office chair's wheel run over it a bit too many times, all as the hub is trying to handshake with a thumb drive, so that the BIOS can see if the thumb drive that is first on it's boot list is there or not, since one forget that one used that thumb drive for installing the OS 7 months back. (This is though likely not a realistic scenario for most setups, but I would not be surprised if one can achieve this specific case with some odd combination of hardware... But the idea is that the BIOS handshakes with all storage devices to search for the first boot device on its list, it finds the thumb drive, attempts booting from it, but then the cable rears its ugly head and the thumb drive disappears, leaving the BIOS confused and bleeping out a boot error. And obviously one still has the OS install image on the thumb drive, since why would one possibly remove that for....))

"Maybe Gigabyte just couldn't be arsed to fix this?"

That fits my priors about Gigabyte.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

3 hours ago, Middcore said:

"Maybe Gigabyte just couldn't be arsed to fix this?"

That fits my priors about Gigabyte.

lol just like asus and TR mobos....

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Do we know what happened? The video doesn't appear to say who (AMD or Intel) didn't properly conform to the spec (I'm assuming for now that the spec is strict enough that they can't both be fully compliant given the symptoms we see). Yes, it seems like the interrupts arrive too early, but that might also be one drive's interrupt being mistaken for another drive's interrupt, with the second drive not yet being ready.

Why not sell them if they are problematic and buy some other SSD's?

I used to work on SSDs at Intel. I can almost completely assure you that no firmware engineer looked into your issue. 

Have some fun stories about RMAs... for another day though. 

RMA can be... funny. I had a 3700X RMA'd from Chile, that's where I live, because one core was defective and caused random reboots and they just send me a new one... with the SAME problem, and I know this is a common issue with AMD CPUs. I could work around that with undervolt and turning off c-state... But I really wanted my full AMD experience hahahaha So I contacted them again, really pissed this second time, explaining this was my workstation machine that I actually use to work/make money, and they actually send me a brand new 3950X

First RMA was long and unsuccessful.

Second try was half the time (a week and a half, between picking up and delivering) and really nice, because full blown upgrade.

Workstation | AMD AM4 3950X (16C/32T) | Radeon RX 6800 XT GAMING X TRIO 16G | MSI MAG B550 | 4x32 GB DDR4 3200Mhz HyperX Fury | x2 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus | x4 2TB Western Digital Blue 3D NAND | x8 CoolerMaster SickFlow RGB Fans | CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240ML | Fractal Design Ion+ 860W Platinum | Cougar 550x Mesh

• 1 year later...

Did LTT ever figure this issue out?  Because we just ran into what looks like the exact same thing with an Epyc processor on a Supermicro board with Intel DC P4510 4TB U.2 SSDs.  (The LTT videos were some of the very few google results for the error message.)

In our case, we were able to make the problem go away by adding DIMMs.

It made the problem go from "every 20-30 seconds things would stall for 20-30 seconds" to "has not occurred even once on any drive in a week."

I don't have a good explanation for why that makes a difference.  The only even possibly relevant fact is that the Epyc CPUs have 8 memory channels and we went from 4 filled to 8 filled.  I wouldn't expect that to affect PCIe performance or capability, but here we are!

Curious if this is a general-purpose solution or a fluke.