Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should i enable XMP on 2666mhz RAM when the CPU has a RAM speed limit of 2666mhz? Also PC build opinion for my friend

Hello everyone, i built my friend a computer and tomorrow he is going to buy the parts. My question here is, i bought him a 2 x 8GB RAM clocked at 2666MHz and the CPU i paired it with is an i5 10500. The maximum RAM speed that this CPU can go is 2666MHz, will enabling XMP increase the RAM speed or will it stay the same? Also, if you wanna have a look at the PC i built for him and maybe change a part or two, here is the link to PCPartPicker. Don't worry, he will buy the parts from a different place so don't look at the total price lol. Yeah no GPU cuz of GPU shortages so i had to pair it with an iGPU unfortunately. If there is anything that needs changing, let me know!

 

Edit: When the GPU shortages are over, what would be a good GPU to pair with this CPU? Thank you!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

Hello everyone, i built my friend a computer and tomorrow he is going to buy the parts. My question here is, i bought him a 2 x 8GB RAM clocked at 2666MHz and the CPU i paired it with is an i5 10500. The maximum RAM speed that this CPU can go is 2666MHz, will enabling XMP increase the RAM speed or will it stay the same? Also, if you wanna have a look at the PC i built for him and maybe change a part or two, here is the link to PCPartPicker. Don't worry, he will buy the parts from a different place so don't look at the total price lol. Yeah no GPU cuz of GPU shortages so i had to pair it with an iGPU unfortunately. If there is anything that needs changing, let me know!

 

Edit: When the GPU shortages are over, what would be a good GPU to pair with this CPU? Thank you!

 

it will just keep it at 2666MHZ. if you want unlocked RAM speeds go with a B560 board

Edit - Please change this list, i'd go with this list @AleksiDj73
infinitely better value imo.

 

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think 11400 would be much better value. But it is what it is...

... but I'm no expert.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Setting any XMP profile above 2666 MHz with your hardware combo will cause the mobo to fail POST, and it will reset your RAM's clock back to 2133 MHz. 2666 MHz really is the max. Buy a 2666 MHz kit. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+110 core, +330 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Bronze. Razer peripherals. Also a 500GB 2.5" HDD I found. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (basically a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600

My current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to R5 2600X: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Downkey said:

it will just keep it at 2666MHZ. if you want unlocked RAM speeds go with a B560 board

Edit - Please change this list, i'd go with this list @AleksiDj73
infinitely better value imo.

 

I put the wrong RAM speed at my list, i just changed it, meant 2666 in the list not 3200 lol, anyways. I mean it's not like he's gonna gonna cry about not that extra speed lol but ah well. OK thank you for your list but as i said don't look at the total price, he will buy the parts from somewhere else and that it way cheaper than what it shows in PCPartPicker. I will have a look at it

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

I think 11400 would be much better value. But it is what it is...

I will have a look at it, thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nathanpete said:

Setting any XMP profile above 2666 MHz with your hardware combo will cause the mobo to fail POST, and it will reset your RAM's clock back to 2133 MHz. 2666 MHz really is the max. Buy a 2666 MHz kit. 

I put the wrong RAM speed on my list, i meant 2666 and not 3200, my bad, now it's fixed

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

I put the wrong RAM speed at my list, i just changed it, meant 2666 in the list not 3200 lol, anyways. I mean it's not like he's gonna gonna cry about not that extra speed lol but ah well. OK thank you for your list but as i said don't look at the total price, he will buy the parts from somewhere else and that it way cheaper than what it shows in PCPartPicker. I will have a look at it

the extra speed does help performance by around 15% tho

 

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Downkey said:

the extra speed does help performance by around 15% tho

 

That's a fucking lie. It is like 12% max on Ryzen where infinity fabric is important. It is even smaller on LGA 1200, and if his CPU's memory controller can't go above 2666 MHz, buying anything above 2666 MHz is wasted money. The motherboard may be more unlocked, but if the CPU is locked, then it is the limiter. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+110 core, +330 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Bronze. Razer peripherals. Also a 500GB 2.5" HDD I found. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (basically a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600

My current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to R5 2600X: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Downkey said:

the extra speed does help performance by around 15% tho

 

I mean he is not gonna play hardcore games if i'm being honest, he is gonna play minecraft (yea mc lol), doom eternal, sea of thieves, pubg and some similar games. I mean the 10500 is 180 euros here and the 11500 is 220 euros, will see if he will be OK paying 40 euros more or not

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nathanpete said:

That's a fucking lie. It is like 12% max on Ryzen where infinity fabric is important. It is even smaller on LGA 1200, and if his CPU's memory controller can't go above 2666 MHz, buying anything above 2666 MHz is wasted money. The motherboard may be more unlocked, but if the CPU is locked, then it is the limiter. 

ok, 15% is an exageration, ill say that. BUT,
-B560 does not limit RAM Speed 
-There is quite a difference between 2666 vs 3200. If you have spare time GNS 10400s review goes into depth in 2666 vs 3200. There is a pretty decent difference in alot of games. In some games there was a 15 - 30 FPS benefit. Do Not Buy: Intel i5-10400 CPU Review & Benchmarks vs. 3300X, 3600, 10600K (ft. 2666 & 3200 RAM) - YouTube

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AleksiDj73 said:

I mean he is not gonna play hardcore games if i'm being honest, he is gonna play minecraft (yea mc lol), doom eternal, sea of thieves, pubg and some similar games. I mean the 10500 is 180 euros here and the 11500 is 220 euros, will see if he will be OK paying 40 euros more or not

the 11500 has the better IGPU (UHD 750) which is why I recommended it.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Downkey said:

ok, 15% is an exageration, ill say that. BUT,
-B560 does not limit RAM Speed 
-There is quite a difference between 2666 vs 3200. If you have spare time GNS 10400s review goes into depth in 2666 vs 3200. There is a pretty decent difference in alot of games. In some games there was a 15 - 20FPS benefit. Do Not Buy: Intel i5-10400 CPU Review & Benchmarks vs. 3300X, 3600, 10600K (ft. 2666 & 3200 RAM) - YouTube

If I have time, I may re-watch the video. I was probably driving (either IRL or in a racing game) when I was listening to the video so didn't pick up everything. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+110 core, +330 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Bronze. Razer peripherals. Also a 500GB 2.5" HDD I found. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (basically a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600

My current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to R5 2600X: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Downkey said:

the 11500 has the better IGPU (UHD 750) which is why I recommended it.

Yeah i saw that, i will see what my friend tells me and i will come back to you. Also, tbh, there is no need for an unlocked motherboard for the RAM or CPU, my friend doesn't know how to get into the BIOS lol and i'm pretty sure he would never overclock

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AleksiDj73 said:

Yeah i saw that, i will see what my friend tells me and i will come back to you. Also, tbh, there is no need for an unlocked motherboard for the RAM or CPU, my friend doesn't know how to get into the BIOS lol and i'm pretty sure he would never overclock

But why not B560? You can't overclock anyway on it, just enable XMP and you have 3200MHZ.

Why not again? B560 boards are literally cheaper than B460 boards now, and 2666MHZ is cheaper than 3200MHZ by very little.

By saving money you are literally gaining performance. 

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Downkey said:

But why not B560? You can't overclock anyway on it, just enable XMP and you have 3200MHZ.

Why not again? B560 boards are literally cheaper than B460 boards now, and 2666MHZ is cheaper than 3200MHZ by very little.

By saving money you are literally gaining performance. 

Bro i wish that was my PC that i am building but it's not on my hands about the money situation so it's not like it's gonna be fine spending like 50 more euros on a CPU. He is gonna buy a monitor, headphones etc etc so yeah, can't really do anything about it but i will see

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AleksiDj73 said:

Bro i wish that was my PC that i am building but it's not on my hands about the money situation so it's not like it's gonna be fine spending like 50 more euros on a CPU. He is gonna buy a monitor, headphones etc etc so yeah, can't really do anything about it but i will see

What country are you in? There is a PCP for many countries in Europe.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Downkey said:

What country are you in? There is a PCP for many countries in Europe.

I'm from Greece and we have a website that gathers all electronics stores from Greece and puts the lowest price from all of the stores at the top and the 10500 is at 176 euros and the 11500 is at 216 euros so yeah

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Downkey said:

What country are you in? There is a PCP for many countries in Europe.

The best i can do for him is change his CPU to a 10600 and stop there cuz he needs this PC ASAP lol and honestly, he won't really notice the speed if a put a better CPU and better RAM. In other words he is not a tech guy like me and he just wants a gaming PC (without the GPU but he will buy it next year hopefully) that plays the games he wants and that's it and that's the best i can do. If that was my PC, i would've changed the parts, put the ones you recommended me and that's that. As i said, he is not a tech guy so changing the CPU or RAM will probably make little difference to him so yeah

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×