Am I doing this right? First PC build ever

Hello,

• I am based in Toronto, Ontario so my currency is CA$
  • I am aiming to use this pc for semi-heavy rendering video content as I edit on premiere and occasionally after effects and do a lot of colouring on resolve
  • I am upgrading because I am currently using a pc (hp omen) which works but the load is too much when editing so I can’t have one app open in the background while I edit on another 
  • I will occasionally use this for gaming as well but not as much 
  • Peripherals are included in the image below (I have a mouse and extra hdd but I will need a keyboard and monitor)

My set up idea is to have enough ram and then set up one m.2 on raid1 and the other will be my main ssd which I can add to later. Reason being I am afraid of data loss. 

Do all my prices seem reasonable? I hope everything works with each other? Kindly let me know if I am off or if there are any ways I can reduce cost without compromising quality (I don’t mind paying this much I just don’t want to overpay if I don’t have to) 

Edit* I know there is a gpu shortage, I am not planning on buying everything now, this is just so I can plan and save up 

7FFF852D-A15A-4DDB-B304-D0C1F1BDA61D.jpeg

You can go cheaper on the motherboard, and I would suggest an AMD board because I do not know how good intel's implementation of hardware RAID is, but I can confirm it works great on AM4. But if I am mistaken and it is perfectly fine, go back a generation and get a 10700K, 10900K, and a less premium Z490 board, you actually get two more cores. Unless you are using window's storage spaces for a software RAID. My understanding is that either method has it's draw-backs, especially since Intel's storage applications have a lot of complaints AFAIK. 

AMD's hardware RAID is pretty damn good AFAIK, and a 5900X is a similar price, for 4 more cores than your parts list. 

Because of tariffs (because canadian GPUs get shipped to the USA first where they are now more heavily taxed), even at MSRP most 3090's are now exceeding $1700 USD, IDK what they are in CA$, but increase your GPU budget by two to three hundred dollars. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

1 minute ago, Nathanpete said:

You can go cheaper on the motherboard, and I would suggest an AMD board because I do not know how good intel's implementation of hardware RAID is, but I can confirm it works great on AM4. But if I am mistaken and it is perfectly fine, go back a generation and get a 10700K, 10900K, and a less premium Z490 board. Unless you are using window's storage spaces for a software RAID. My understanding is that either method has it's draw-backs, especially since Intel's storage applications have a lot of complaints AFAIK. 

Because of tariffs (because canadian GPUs get shipped to the USA first where they are now more heavily taxed), even at MSRP most 3090's are now exceeding $1700 USD, IDK what they are in CA$, but increase your GPU budget by two to three hundred dollars. 

Interesting, will definitely take a look into this thank you! 
Regarding prices I believe those are from Canadian websites including the gpu but yes I plan to recheck all prices in a couple months or two and compare how they have gone down. 

Cheers! 

9 minutes ago, NewbieWeebNoob said:

Hello,

• I am based in Toronto, Ontario so my currency is CA$
  • I am aiming to use this pc for semi-heavy rendering video content as I edit on premiere and occasionally after effects and do a lot of colouring on resolve
  • I am upgrading because I am currently using a pc (hp omen) which works but the load is too much when editing so I can’t have one app open in the background while I edit on another 
  • I will occasionally use this for gaming as well but not as much 
  • Peripherals are included in the image below (I have a mouse and extra hdd but I will need a keyboard and monitor)

My set up idea is to have enough ram and then set up one m.2 on raid1 and the other will be my main ssd which I can add to later. Reason being I am afraid of data loss. 

Do all my prices seem reasonable? I hope everything works with each other? Kindly let me know if I am off or if there are any ways I can reduce cost without compromising quality (I don’t mind paying this much I just don’t want to overpay if I don’t have to) 

Edit* I know there is a gpu shortage, I am not planning on buying everything now, this is just so I can plan and save up 

7FFF852D-A15A-4DDB-B304-D0C1F1BDA61D.jpeg

-Video Rendering? Get a Ryzen 9 5900x/5950x. Don't get a 10700/11700, you are losing so much performance it's unbelivable.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Just now, NewbieWeebNoob said:

Interesting, will definitely take a look into this thank you! 
Regarding prices I believe those are from Canadian websites including the gpu but yes I plan to recheck all prices in a couple months or two and compare how they have gone down. 

Cheers! 

IF they go down. If the crypto market doesn't crash, in TSMC's and Samsung's current condition it could actually go up in price. Yes, AMD CPUs are going to be more expensive then Intel CPUs, but it is possible you could make up this loss by getting a less premium motherboard. Hence why unless I am proven wrong and Intel's RAID is actually perfectly fine, go AMD. But if it is fine, go for the 10900K for somewhat similar performance for less. 

Be aware that to my knowledge setting up AMD's RAID most be done well after windows has completed installing. This was an issue for me because I was unable to figure out how to set up hardware mirroring on a threadripper virtualization workstation running Linux, eventually I just settled for a software implementation of ZRAID, a unofficial variant of RAID. 

Your motherboard manual should include information on how to setup RAID inside windows using their custom drivers. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

1 minute ago, Nathanpete said:

IF they go down. If the crypto market doesn't crash, in TSMC's and Samsung's current condition it could actually go up in price. Yes, AMD CPUs are going to be more expensive then Intel CPUs, but it is possible you could make up this loss by getting a less premium motherboard. Hence why unless I am proven wrong and Intel's RAID is actually perfectly fine, go AMD. But if it is fine, go for the 10900K for somewhat similar performance for less. 

Be aware that to my knowledge setting up AMD's RAID most be done well after windows has completed installing. This was an issue for me because I was unable to figure out how to set up hardware mirroring on a threadripper virtualization workstation running Linux, eventually I just settled for a software implementation of ZRAID, a unofficial variant of RAID. 

Your motherboard manual should include information on how to setup RAID inside windows using their custom drivers. 

Yes definitely will look into AMD. I believe intel raid is perfectly fine and doing a hardware raid is obviously faster than the software raid. I might just step down a generation on both processor and motherboard like you suggested. Thanks!