How to install GPU drivers in Laptop using DDU ?

samiur

Currently upgraded my ssd on my laptop  . So Nvidia drivers needs to be updated so that i can run newer apps and games. But problem is i don;t want to use Geforce Experience , since GFE somehow throttles my nvidia gpu performance its a GTX 970m . So want to safely ise DDU on my laptop but don't know the exact process .

Can anybody kind enough to help.

<-- Moved to Graphics Cards -->

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

You don't use DDU to install drivers, on the contrary you use it to uninstall them, completely.

So I assume you have drivers with Experience installed already, in this case...

Download DDU and the latest graphics driver and make sure you know where it is. Next press Win key+r to open run dialogue. Type in msconfig and run it. Head over to the boot tab and choose safe boot. I use minimal personally. Hit OK and reboot the PC.

You are now in safe mode, first check that safe boot is disabled so open msconfig as before and head into boot tab. If the check box for safe boot is ticked untick it. Now, run the DDU executable. Choose Nvidia display drivers and press clean and reboot. At this point I disconnect from the internet to avoid Windows going online to install graphics drivers automatically.

Install the graphics driver when booted normally into Windows and choose custom/advanced option and untick Geforce Experience. When the driver is installed connect back to the internet if you disconnected. Hope this helps.

You don't HAVE to use DDU btw.  
There's a Clean install option when you install drivers, which removes the previous drivers before installing the new ones.  
I would only try DDU if you are still getting issues after using the clean install method.

2 minutes ago, Votk said:

You don't HAVE to use DDU btw.  
There's a Clean install option when you install drivers, which removes the previous drivers before installing the new ones.  
I would only try DDU if you are still getting issues after using the clean install method.

if i use normal setup installation method will it suffice ?

Yes, you can uninstall GFE from normal Applications settings, then install the nvidia driver pack selecting to install driver only without GFE and it should all be OK.

DDU is for bigger issues or for changing between AMD<->Nvidia, normally the standard stuff should just work in this case.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2