Canadian Gov. plan change to Bill C-10 to make it ‘crystal clear” social media uploads won’t be regulated

Cavalry Canuck

Backlash from opposition parties  following recent changes to the Federal Government’s proposed bill C-10 has led to further changes to the bill. The legislation will more explicitly state it is not to target user-generated content on various social media platforms like Facebook, YouTube, Tik-Tok, etc.

“We also want to make sure that the content that people upload on social media won’t be considered as programming under the Act and that it won’t be regulated by the CRTC,” Guilbeault said in the statement.

Not looking to start a political debate here, but I do have concerns about the implications for LMG and Floatplane. It seems pretty obvious to me that Floatplane will fall under the umbrella of this legislation, but the various LMG channels seems more murky to me. While their various channels and videos are user-uploaded content, that they are a “media group” is right in the name. How will “professional” social media personalities end up being treated compared to liberties that will remain for the majority of users/content uploaded?

I hope any discussion generated by this thread will focus on that rather than the politics of it. I’d not see this thread locked like the last one, as this is an issue that could have ramifications on the group that hosts this very website.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7829583/social-media-free-speech-regulation-bill-c-10-broadcasting/

-Locked-

This has been posted multiple times now, and our ruling will not change.

We do not allow political discussion here.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P