Seasonic to Corsair PSU swap issue

RooTs57
Go to solution Solved by RooTs57,

So this new PSU was defective, I had a friend who builds pcs also test it out and confirmed it is faulty.  Imagine that, the very first PSU I have ever purchased and I get a lemon.  Amazon made it super easy to exchange though, I will have the 2nd one today.  Hopefully this one actually works.

I need some help with this PSU swap.  I just tried replacing my Seasonic Focus GX-650 with a Corsair RM850x in preparation for SOMEDAY getting a 3080 to replace my 2070 Super.  When initially powered up, it shut down instantly, a power overload trip of some kind I'd imagine.  When I put the Seasonic PSU back in everything still works, thankfully!  I think it has something to do the the CPU power.  My Gigabyte Aorus Elite AC WiFi MoBo has a 2x2 and a 2x4 12v CPU header and the Seasonic PSU used the 2x4 header. I also used this 2x4 header for the Corsair PSU.  Is this possibly my issue?  Everywhere I look, its says a full ATX MoBo uses the 2x4 12v CPU header.  Does anyone know what my issue might be?  Here is a pick of the two 12v CPU headers:

Thanks in advance for any help!

Scott

12v CPU Headers.jpg

1 minute ago, RooTs57 said:

I need some help with this PSU swap.  I just tried replacing my Seasonic Focus GX-650 with a Corsair RM850x in preparation for SOMEDAY getting a 3080 to replace my 2070 Super.  When initially powered up, it shut down instantly, a power overload trip of some kind I'd imagine.  When I put the Seasonic PSU back in everything still works, thankfully!  I think it has something to do the the CPU power.  My Gigabyte Aorus Elite AC WiFi MoBo has a 2x2 and a 2x4 12v CPU header and the Seasonic PSU used the 2x4 header. I also used this 2x4 header for the Corsair PSU.  Is this possibly my issue?  Everywhere I look, its says a full ATX MoBo uses the 2x4 12v CPU header.  Does anyone know what my issue might be?  Here is a pick of the two 12v CPU headers:

Thanks in advance for any help!

Scott

12v CPU Headers.jpg

You didn't use the same cables, right? You swapped all the cables out to the new corsair ones? 

And yes, you only need to use the 8 pin connector. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

3 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

You didn't use the same cables, right? You swapped all the cables out to the new corsair ones? 

And yes, you only need to use the 8 pin connector. 

yes I used the provided cables that came with each respective PSU, sorry I should've mentioned that.  I double checked all the connections and everything was correct.  I can't figure out why this new PSU isn't working.  Especially when the old PSU functions fine when using the exact same wire config.  Could it be as simple as I bought a dead PSU?  I got it new from Amazon

2 minutes ago, RooTs57 said:

yes I used the provided cables that came with each respective PSU, sorry I should've mentioned that.  I double checked all the connections and everything was correct.  I can't figure out why this new PSU isn't working.  Especially when the old PSU functions fine when using the exact same wire config.  Could it be as simple as I bought a dead PSU?  I got it new from Amazon

It is possible its bad, but PSU's are very, very rarely actually bad. 

Just double check you had all the cables plugged in correctly. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 minute ago, LIGISTX said:

It is possible its bad, but PSU's are very, very rarely actually bad. 

Just double check you had all the cables plugged in correctly. 

yeah its hard to imagine that this brand new PSU would be bad, its not as if its some no-name off-brand PSU.  I will give it another go and triple check everything.  Thanks for the replies!

There are 2 8pin peripheral connectors.

1 is a 6pin + 2 pin,  (you can split into 2pin and a 4pin connectors), this is for Graphics cards. (Labelled as PCIe on Corsair PSU Cables)

1 is a 4pin + 4 pin, (you can split it into 2 4 pin connectors), this is used for CPU, and it sometimes called EPS (Labelled as CPU on Corsair PSU Cables)

You will see "Type 3", or "Type 4" on the PSU end of Corsair PSU Cables

Make sure you aren't confusing the 2. You can plug a PCie 8pin connector into a 8pin CPU connector, and these are completely opposite pinouts.

Modding 2 x 6 Pin PCI-E Into Single 8 Pin? - Cases and ...

2 minutes ago, comicsansms said:

There are 8pin peripheral connectors.

1 is a 6pin + 2 pin,  (you can split into 2pin and a 4pin connectors), this is for Graphics cards. (Labelled as PCIe on Corsair PSUs)

1 is a 4pin + 4 pin, (you can split it into 2 4 pin connectors), this is used for CPU, and it sometimes called EPS (Labelled as CPU on

Corsair PSUs)

Make sure you aren't confusing the 2. You can plug a PCie 8pin connector into a 8pin CPU connector, and these are completely opposite pinouts.

Modding 2 x 6 Pin PCI-E Into Single 8 Pin? - Cases and ...

I did double check that I was using the 4x4 "CPU" cable and even plugged in the "CPU" side to the MoBo.  I will try again with the 2nd 4x4 CPU cable and see if maybe it was a bad cable or something.  Very strange though.  Thanks for the info!!

So this new PSU was defective, I had a friend who builds pcs also test it out and confirmed it is faulty.  Imagine that, the very first PSU I have ever purchased and I get a lemon.  Amazon made it super easy to exchange though, I will have the 2nd one today.  Hopefully this one actually works.

33 minutes ago, RooTs57 said:

Imagine that, the very first PSU I have ever purchased and I get a lemon. 

Had the same with a Seasonic "Prime". It was so bad that it didn't only blow all fuses in the house, it also managed to somehow "melt" the plugs where youd plug the power connector in...

Lesson learned, when your PSU comes with a "tester" return it ASAP. 😉

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Had the same with a Seasonic "Prime". It was so bad that it didn't only blow all fuses in the house, it also managed to somehow "melt" the plugs where youd plug the power connector in...

Lesson learned, when your PSU comes with a "tester" return it ASAP. 😉

I should consider myself lucky then, all my other hardware still works and I didn't trip any breakers

10 hours ago, RooTs57 said:

I should consider myself lucky then, all my other hardware still works and I didn't trip any breakers

ill be honest, im glad they included the test thing, first i didn't want to use it, but then i thought if they include it ,its probably for a reason (bad QA) and bingo, it obviously never has been tested before - and it was indeed a very scary experience, i thought the thing is going to kill me. >.>

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 2 weeks later...

In hindsight I shouldn't have even tried it.  I picked it up from the amazon locker and the Corsair box didn't have any shrink-wrap on it nor was it in an amazon outer box.  The Corsair box wasn't even taped closed!  The replacement PSU was packaged properly and the internal Corsair box still had the shrink-wrap on it.