Upgrade Cisco Switch firmware

I'm terribly sorry if this has been explained elsewhere but I'm kinda at my wit's end. I purchased a cisco 3750-e ws-c3750e-48pd-sf switch off eBay. The thing works absolutely fantastic! I was planning on hooking an sfp+ port into my udm pro for all my local poe cameras and the like. However the switch was flashed back to factory before it was sent out and so the ios/firmware on it won't support a sfp+ adapter that I got for it. The switch has been sunset and so I can't seem to find a way to make this thing functional! Does anyone have any ideas on how to possibly upgrade it just so if anything I could use the sfp+ adapter? (Here's what the adapter is called for reference, CISCO CVR-X2-SFP10G X2 TO SFP+ ADAPTER MODULE)...... Or do I just have a crippled 10gig capable switch?!

It should just work but you could always try going into config mode and using 'service unsupported-transceiver' command to make it work as well.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I'm trying to remember but was cisco super particular about the sfp+ cables you use? I'd really like to use the adapter I have to avoid having to spend even more money on this thing. I tried the  'service unsupported-transceiver' command to no avail but I'll give that another shot just in case.

On 5/4/2021 at 5:01 AM, Lurick said:

It should just work but you could always try going into config mode and using 'service unsupported-transceiver' command to make it work as well.

It's telling me that the input is invalid, 

Invalid entry.png

EDIT: well i feel stupid wasn't in config

11 minutes ago, minime905 said:

lol, yup, gotta be in config mode 🙂

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 5/4/2021 at 5:01 AM, Lurick said:

completed the commands/saved for 'no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid'  and 'service unsupported-transceiver' still receiving this error

BAD CRC.png

Have it set to auto negotiate on the UDM side

EDIT: looking into online forums for cisco is showing that there's a good chance I would need to update the IOS of the switch which sucks because that's a paid account thing now I believe. Not to mention this product was sunset so I don't think they even have the IOS for it anymore

EDIT THE EDIT: IOS seems to check out I have 12.2(55)SE7 which is higher than the 12.2(35)SE2 mandatory, It recognizes it but can't handle it for whatever reason, "%PLATFORM-6-MODULE_INSERTED: TenGig Converter module inserted in slot 2 in switch 1". Also checked and am 100% certain it's compatible with the switch from multiple spec sheets. Using Ubiquiti DAC cable if that means anything

On 5/5/2021 at 3:31 PM, Lurick said:

I'm kinda at a loss on this one. Do you have any idea what might be causing all the fun? @Lurick

I'm guessing it might be the cable because I have heard that cisco is pretty particular about using their stuff, case in point that once undocumented transceiver command but pretty much anyone's guess is probably as good as mine. Thanks though for all your help up to this point though I really appreciate it! And I appreciate your help as well! @eece_ret

10 hours ago, minime905 said:

I'm kinda at a loss on this one. Do you have any idea what might be causing all the fun? @Lurick

I'm guessing it might be the cable because I have heard that cisco is pretty particular about using their stuff, case in point that once undocumented transceiver command but pretty much anyone's guess is probably as good as mine. Thanks though for all your help up to this point though I really appreciate it! And I appreciate your help as well! @eece_ret

Yah, I'm a bit perplexed too because I've used plenty of cisco gear with third party optics and that command solves it just about every time.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

If you have an SFP+ module to test against.  A DAC cable should be ok, however DAC off an X2 converter, that might be your issue.  I’d try using transceivers in that X2 converter.

Can you post which X2 module you are using, with all the info intact?

The "service unsupported-transceiver" command only makes it so that Cisco switches ignores the Vendor OIU programmed into the SFP/X2. There are however several other fields that still need to align for the module to work. For example all SFP modules has a vendor specific field programmed into them as well as a vendor specific control address.

In essence, an SFP from for example Finisar for a Cisco switch will have a vendor ID from Finisar, and a vendor specific field for Cisco.

If you type in that command, it will ignore the vendor ID and only look at the vendor specific field.

However, a Finisar SFP programmed for an HP switch will most likely still not work in a Cisco switch, since the vendor specific field will not match.

There are also "uncoded" modules that do no contain any vendor specific information and those will typically work in a wide range of vendors that aren't that picky, but Cisco is not one of those vendors.

Edit: Just saw that the module you are using has Cisco in the name, so it should be fine.

Edit 2: That switch is so old Cisco doesn't even appear to be hosting downloads for newer IOS versions for it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm..... was able to update the ios thanks @Lurick but for whatever reason it has just decided it wants to continue with the same error. I'm kinda at my wits end on this one so I went ahead and attached my logs just to be sure.

switcharoo#show log
Syslog logging: enabled (0 messages dropped, 0 messages rate-limited, 0 flushes, 0 overruns, xml disabled, filtering disabled)

No Active Message Discriminator.

No Inactive Message Discriminator.

Console logging: level debugging, 42 messages logged, xml disabled,
                     filtering disabled
    Monitor logging: level debugging, 0 messages logged, xml disabled,
                     filtering disabled
    Buffer logging:  level debugging, 42 messages logged, xml disabled,
                    filtering disabled
    Exception Logging: size (4096 bytes)
    Count and timestamp logging messages: disabled
    File logging: disabled
    Persistent logging: disabled

No active filter modules.

Trap logging: level informational, 45 message lines logged
        Logging Source-Interface:       VRF Name:

Log Buffer (4096 bytes):
: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan1, changed state to down
*Jan  2 00:01:01.756: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0, changed state to down
*Jan  2 00:01:05.758: %SPANTREE-5-EXTENDED_SYSID: Extended SysId enabled for type vlan
*Jan  2 00:01:14.155: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console
*Jan  2 00:01:14.222: %PLATFORM_ENV-6-FRU_PS_OIR: FRU Power Supply 1 inserted
*Jan  2 00:01:14.373: %STACKMGR-5-SWITCH_READY: Switch 1 is READY
*Jan  2 00:01:14.381: %STACKMGR-4-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 1 Switch 1 has changed to state DOWN
*Jan  2 00:01:14.381: %STACKMGR-4-STACK_LINK_CHANGE: Stack Port 2 Switch 1 has changed to state DOWN
*Jan  2 00:01:14.683: %PLATFORM_ENV-3-ILP_PORT_POST_ERR: Gi1/0/29 can't be brought up because it failed POST in Inline Power test.
*Jan  2 00:01:14.683: %PLATFORM_ENV-3-ILP_PORT_POST_ERR: Gi1/0/30 can't be brought up because it failed POST in Inline Power test.
*Jan  2 00:01:14.683: %PLATFORM_ENV-3-ILP_PORT_POST_ERR: Gi1/0/31 can't be brought up because it failed POST in Inline Power test.
*Jan  2 00:01:14.683: %PLATFORM_ENV-3-ILP_PORT_POST_ERR: Gi1/0/32 can't be brought up because it failed POST in Inline Power test.
*Jan  2 00:01:15.170: %STACKMGR-5-MASTER_READY: Master Switch 1 is READY
*Jan  2 00:01:15.967: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface FastEthernet0, changed state to administratively down
*Jan  2 00:01:16.143: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Vlan1, changed state to administratively down
*Jan  2 00:01:16.151: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --
Cisco IOS Software, C3750E Software (C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.2(4)E10, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2020 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Tue 31-Mar-20 13:22 by prod_rel_team
*Jan  2 00:01:16.244: %SSH-5-ENABLED: SSH 1.99 has been enabled
*Jan  2 00:01:16.982: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0, changed state to down
*Jan  2 00:01:28.919: %PLATFORM-6-MODULE_INSERTED: TenGig Converter module inserted in slot 2 in Switch 1
*Jan  2 00:01:40.092: %PLATFORM-6-MODULE_INSERTED: TwinGig Converter module inserted in slot 1 in Switch 1
*Jan  2 00:03:37.843: %PHY-4-CHECK_SUM_FAILED: SFP EEPROM data check sum failed for SFP interface Te1/0/2
*Jan  2 00:03:38.003: %PHY-4-SFP_PLUS_NOT_SUPPORTED: The SFP PLUS in Te1/0/2 is not supported
*Jan  2 00:05:47.305: %PLATFORM-6-MODULE_REMOVED: TenGig Converter module removed in slot 2 in Switch 1
*Jan  2 00:06:19.232: %PLATFORM-6-MODULE_REMOVED: TwinGig Converter module removed in slot 1 in Switch 1
*Jan  2 00:06:39.297: %PLATFORM-6-MODULE_INSERTED: TwinGig Converter module inserted in slot 2 in Switch 1
*Jan  2 00:07:02.215: %PLATFORM-6-MODULE_INSERTED: TenGig Converter module inserted in slot 1 in Switch 1
*Jan  2 00:07:08.716: %PHY-4-CHECK_SUM_FAILED: SFP EEPROM data check sum failed for SFP interface Te1/0/1
*Jan  2 00:07:08.716: %PHY-4-CHECK_SUM_FAILED: SFP EEPROM data check sum failed for SFP interface Te1/0/1
*Jan  2 00:07:08.875: %PHY-4-SFP_PLUS_NOT_SUPPORTED: The SFP PLUS in Te1/0/1 is not supported
*Jan  2 00:09:20.090: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console
*Jan  2 00:09:49.895: %PHY-4-CHECK_SUM_FAILED: SFP EEPROM data check sum failed for SFP interface Te1/0/1
*Jan  2 00:09:49.895: %PHY-4-CHECK_SUM_FAILED: SFP EEPROM data check sum failed for SFP interface Te1/0/1
*Jan  2 00:09:50.054: %PHY-4-SFP_PLUS_NOT_SUPPORTED: The SFP PLUS in Te1/0/1 is not supported
*Jan  2 00:14:27.910: %PHY-4-CHECK_SUM_FAILED: SFP EEPROM data check sum failed for SFP interface Te1/0/1
*Jan  2 00:14:27.910: %PHY-4-CHECK_SUM_FAILED: SFP EEPROM data check sum failed for SFP interface Te1/0/1
*Jan  2 00:14:28.061: %PHY-4-SFP_PLUS_NOT_SUPPORTED: The SFP PLUS in Te1/0/1 is not supported
*Jan  2 00:17:26.210: %PHY-4-CHECK_SUM_FAILED: SFP EEPROM data check sum failed for SFP interface Te1/0/1
*Jan  2 00:17:26.210: %PHY-4-CHECK_SUM_FAILED: SFP EEPROM data check sum failed for SFP interface Te1/0/1
*Jan  2 00:17:26.369: %PHY-4-SFP_PLUS_NOT_SUPPORTED: The SFP PLUS in Te1/0/1 is not supported

using the uc-dac-sfp+ cable from ubiquiti, on the tengig converter module cvr-x2-sfp10g v02, made by OneX

re-entered the commands:

service internal

no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid

service unsupported-transceiver

No luck with those unfortunately. Ironically I get the same error with the twingig converter that it shippped with, same cable and ports

I do have an old dell switch as well I'll try to dig out and test

8 hours ago, minime905 said:

Hmm..... was able to update the ios thanks @Lurick but for whatever reason it has just decided it wants to continue with the same error. I'm kinda at my wits end on this one so I went ahead and attached my logs just to be sure.

using the uc-dac-sfp+ cable from ubiquiti, on the tengig converter module cvr-x2-sfp10g v02, made by OneX

-snip-

No luck with those unfortunately. Ironically I get the same error with the twingig converter that it shippped with, same cable and ports

I do have an old dell switch as well I'll try to dig out and test

It seems unlikely, but to me it seems like the SFP is not correctly coded for Cisco equipment. Either that or it's damaged.

I think it's weird since the SFP you got has "cisco" in the name but yeah... It's for sure either a damaged SFP or incorrect coding in the EEPROM (in the SFP).

13 hours ago, LAwLz said:

It seems unlikely, but to me it seems like the SFP is not correctly coded for Cisco equipment. Either that or it's damaged.

I think it's weird since the SFP you got has "cisco" in the name but yeah... It's for sure either a damaged SFP or incorrect coding in the EEPROM (in the SFP).

Bummer, gonna try to get a "cisco" rated DAC just to give it one last hurrah and then pray.